E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Stepping out of the 550 - MAJOR EYE OPENER

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Working at a dealership i drive probably about 4 different cars a day. Some are real lumps and some are way out of my range...but at the end of the day im very happy and glad to jump into my bmw, and really appreciate the car that it is.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Contributors

i am too lucky to drive a new 535. i made some good decisions in life thus far. at the age of 26 I consider myself one of the lucky few to drive an E60, one with 2 turbos at that. this car will provide me with the extra kick in the butt to work harder and harder over the years, so i can continue to own bmws, upgrading every few years.

i love my car and know that i am leaps and bounds ahead of 95% of the other cars on the street. a lot of cars wont do 100 mph. my car gets its second wind at 100/4th gear.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

In all fairness - you can't compare a 17 year old worn out american luxury car with a new 550.

Look at it this way, from the 50's through the 80's Americans mostly drove big cars that comfortably took them where they wanted to go. It wasn't about cornering or acceleration - it was simply enjoying the drive or perhaps a better term would be cruise.

I remember as a kid riding around with my friend and his dad in the back of a 74 Caddy Fleetwood - I wouldn't even try to compare it to my BMW but to me the feeling is still priceless.

The changes began in the 70's and 80's due to emissions, fuel prices, and foreign competition. Combine that with bad management and foresight from the American Big 3 and its pretty obvious why we are playing catch-up with the Germans auto makers.

As for driving so slow here in the U.S., keep in mind that in Germany, the roads are better, the insurance is higher and the laws are much more strict. You can't do ANY type of modifications to a car without getting a German TUV (inspection) and this will cost you some serious $$$. But the quality of car on the German roads are far better then what you see in the states. I would absolutely love for the speed limits in the U.S. to be raised if not lifted in certain areas. But people here won't pay the money for inspections and higher insurance, governments won't pay money to improve the roads, and businesses like NAPA, Pep-Boys, and Jiffy-Lube would no doubt be opposed to what would amount to their inevitable extinction.

I'll never forget when I was at an Opel/GM dealership a German man approached me about the hood deflector and vent visors on my T-Blazer. I told him that since my vehicle was registered through U.S. SOFA I didn't have to comply with the German TUV and it cost me approx $75 for the stuff and I installed everything myself in about 30 minutes.....The cost for him to get the same thing done in accordance with German law? About 500 Euros!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='905692' date='Jun 9 2009, 05:01 PM
Having owned a wide range of cars (the last SRT8 Jeep, before that G35 coupe) this is the best handling and most comfortable car I have ever owned. I don't think I could stand driving a Lincoln even for a minute. So I feel for you.

I had an '04 G35 coupe too - a 6MT, which was really fun. It was still a Nissan through and through, but it handled really well. I enjoyed it for what it was, and at $35k, it was pretty good value. But, the 550i kicks the hell out of it at every turn...
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Keep in mind its a democratic gov't that's in place! Remember this qoute:

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening
the strong.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging
thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the
wage payer down.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by
inciting class hatred.

You cannot build character and courage by taking
away people's initiative and independence.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for
them, what they could and should do for themselves.

.....Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='909065' date='Jun 12 2009, 07:27 AM
Keep in mind its a democratic gov't that's in place!
Keep in mind the mess they are dealing with was largely inherited from a Republican administration. And not a very good one at that.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='909065' date='Jun 12 2009, 07:27 AM
Keep in mind its a democratic gov't that's in place! Remember this qoute:

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening
the strong.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging
thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the
wage payer down.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by
inciting class hatred.

You cannot build character and courage by taking
away people's initiative and independence.

You cannot help people permanently by doing for
them, what they could and should do for themselves.

.....Abraham Lincoln
"Democratic gov't?" As opposed to the previous 8 years of idiocy? Thanks, Barak might not have been my first choice either, but after the last 8 years I wouldn't have minded bringing Nixon back from the dead.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='909082' date='Jun 12 2009, 10:37 AM
"Democratic gov't?" As opposed to the previous 8 years of idiocy? Thanks, Barak might not have been my first choice either, but after the last 8 years I wouldn't have minded bringing Nixon back from the dead.
I'm sure Bush didn't plan on the courses of action he had to take. Let's see how you would handle having snakes thrown into your lap!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='909100' date='Jun 12 2009, 07:49 AM
I'm sure Bush didn't plan on the courses of action he had to take. Let's see how you would handle having snakes thrown into your lap!
And that, my friend, is the heart of the issue. Perhaps if he had planned them a little better, we may all have been better for it.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 550, Sport/Navi/etceteraetcetera

Hard to believe that a new 550 Sport performs better than a '92 Town Car pushing 150k on the odo. You're going to have to provide more proof, because I'm not buying it.

Quick Reply: Stepping out of the 550 - MAJOR EYE OPENER