E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wobble over bumps

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 11:07 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E60 520da luxury

Yes I have just done what you are describing and I don't see anything
I also tried decreasing the pressure to 2.3 instead of 2.8, it is even more random. Had wobble at 120 and then gone 1mib after...

I'll remove the wheels tomorrow and try brushing the rust off

I noticed that when I turn the steering it doesn't vibrate anymore. Hard to to at 80kph but interesting...

Last edited by Matouti; 08-27-2022 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-28-2022, 12:57 PM
New Members

Update;
Brushing the rust didn't help. But tomorrow i'll go back to the tire shop where i got the alignment, it's still waving a lot to the right. Weird because i got the report and they got the values inside the tolerances... Can it be linked ?
Old 08-29-2022, 02:17 AM
New Members

Hello,
Here are some news,

They have checked again the alignment which wasn't good (weird because the values I had on the report were ok)
They checked the tires and rims and did not find anything

However a second mechanic came in and directly checked the struts
He told me to hold the spring and he shook the wheel
The strut moves a little bit, it's not solid as it should be

It's the same on both side and he told me that it may be due to the long sitting of the car, that is heavy on the front end.

So great finding, I'll check the strut mount further tonight
Anyone have experienced this?
Old 08-29-2022, 06:59 AM
New Members

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: E61 550i manual gear, panoramic roof, dark blue
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N62 4.8

Originally Posted by Matouti
Hello,
Here are some news,

They have checked again the alignment which wasn't good (weird because the values I had on the report were ok)
They checked the tires and rims and did not find anything

However a second mechanic came in and directly checked the struts
He told me to hold the spring and he shook the wheel
The strut moves a little bit, it's not solid as it should be

It's the same on both side and he told me that it may be due to the long sitting of the car, that is heavy on the front end.

So great finding, I'll check the strut mount further tonight
Anyone have experienced this?
What do you mena with "hold" the spring. Don't understand what you are trying to say here. As for the struts....one of the very first things to inspect are the top-bearings in which the shock-rod is mounted. These bearings fail or wear out fairly easy. I actually don't understand why they haven't seen this immedaitly byt heway...provided thats the culprit of course....
Old 08-29-2022, 07:05 AM
New Members

Thanks for the reply

Well, with the car jacked up I have put my hand on the spring, holding it to feel the vibrations when shaking the wheel, am I clear?

We were not looking at that in the first place, I only told them I had these vibrations after changing every part on the front axle and having the alignment and tire balance done

Is there anything more to do to confirm that it comes from these mounts?
Old 08-29-2022, 11:12 PM
New Members

Thanks for the reply

Well, with the car jacked up I have put my hand on the spring, holding it to feel the vibrations when shaking the wheel, am I clear?

We were not looking at that in the first place, I only told them I had these vibrations after changing every part on the front axle and having the alignment and tire balance done

Is there anything more to do to confirm that it comes from these mounts?
well,...if there is radial and/or axial play on them then for sure it could be the culprit but you'll never know unless you change them I'm afraid. I'm about to do the same thing as I'm replacing the struts for special active konies. I've choosen the lemforder top bearings. I heard they were quire good.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:15 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by wkloppen
well,...if there is radial and/or axial play on them then for sure it could be the culprit but you'll never know unless you change them I'm afraid. I'm about to do the same thing as I'm replacing the struts for special active konies. I've choosen the lemforder top bearings. I heard they were quire good.
Well yes you are right. I thought that I could see some play from the top of the strut in the engine compartment or hear something. From what thought mounts going bad usually make clunking noises while turning the steering

Why are you changing them? Are they worn out?

Old 08-30-2022, 04:38 AM
New Members

Well yes you are right. I thought that I could see some play from the top of the strut in the engine compartment or hear something. From what thought mounts going bad usually make clunking noises while turning the steering

Why are you changing them? Are they worn out?
Euh no not really. I guess htese are the original ones and I'm gonna replace the struts so it would be kinda foolish to not replace to tob-bearings while at it.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:52 AM
New Members

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Yes you should always replace the strut mounts / bearings when doing struts. They wear out, and can cause issues.

One caution on the "testing" your tech is doing. If the car is on a lift with the wheels dangling, there will potentially be more play, as the suspension is in the same position it would be in if you were flying off a giant ramp... not a mode you're likely to encounter very often in an E60. I hope... ;-) If you can reach in and feel ANY movement with the wheels on the ground, I'd say you have an obvious problem.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:26 PM
New Members

Well, I can't feel anyplay whatsoever in the strut when the car is on its wheels
I also tried checking from the engine compartment while bouncing the car, nothing. If I compare with an online search for bad strut mounts I have no symptoms at all...
Maybe tires are just old and worn out from inside, associated with RF maybe all my problems come from here... These are Lassa tires

The trammel or bump steer I still have and this intermittent wooble make no sense to me

I am stuck ahah

At least with all these new components, it rides very nice on the highway

Last edited by Matouti; 08-30-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Steering wobble over bumps