E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STEERING PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

Hi, This morning been in a supermarket car-park and when I tried to reverse my 525BMW E60, with the steering turned to the limit, it went stiff and hard to turn, then got a CHARGING FAULT. Switched off and restarted and steering turned normal, then did it several times when turning sharp turns.
Managed to drive home slowly with steering working but it turned stiff again when parking.
I have noticed that;
Steering pump seizes or becomes stiff at extremes with the Alternator not running (charging Fault)SMELL OF BURNING BELT
Does not happen all the time.
When this happens, If I stop and restart engine steering will turn normal but if left in this position will become stiff again.
Oil is not Low.
Changed steering fluid about a year ago as I fitted a new engine .
Any ideas? Could it be overshooting a setting and locking up?
Will DIS diagnostics show anything?
Seems to be activated when the steering goes to the limit
Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

my guess is you have a weak belt tensioner, and the belt stops moving(slips on pullies) when the power steering pump is under load.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 PM
New Members

If steering fluid is at normal level, it could be a known issue of faulty steering pumps. Let it check if you are under warranty.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flowmaster
If steering fluid is at normal level, it could be a known issue of faulty steering pumps. Let it check if you are under warranty.
he mentioned that the fluid was not low. plus the fact that he gets a charging fault, means that his accesories stop turning.....99% sure his belt is slipping, and probably due to a weak tensioner.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d se, Black, HID lights, Beam washers, electrical seats, steering conrols, automatic light, Automatic wipers. RFTyres, SAT-NAV,

ALL of you are DEAD WRONG guys!
sorry for the delay in posting as I was a bit hosp and could`t drive..
Yesterday I looked carefully and the pulley on the crankshaft is stopping. There is a Rubber moulded pulley fitted on the crankshaft pulley and it has broken down so it is slipping.........
Thanks for your suggestions just the same.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:51 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by sputnik
Yesterday I looked carefully and the pulley on the crankshaft is stopping. There is a Rubber moulded pulley fitted on the crankshaft pulley and it has broken down so it is slipping.........
Glad to hear you've found the root cause of the problem.

All of the members' suggestions were guesses based on the description given. The only way to find the root cause is to open the hood and checking the car. Crankshaft pulley (aka Harmonic Balancer, vibration damper, etc) is essentially two metal pulleys with rubber part sandwiched in between to absorb the vibrations. It deteriorates over time. I check the condition of the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) every time I open the hood on all my cars as a general practice.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 AM
Members

Hi- DID NOT WANT TO SOUND OFFENSIVE MATES.
I never ever suspected the cause to be coming off this myself but I was pointing this out. Hope nobody goes through this as the bill can go up to around 500euro
Old 08-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sputnik
but i was close...