E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Lock Problem! Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Lock Problem! Please Read

Hi everyone, long time viewer, first time post

I have a 2006 530i with the N52 engine. I live in Canada. Over the last several months, I've been getting the ELV error from time to time. Usually it takes 1 or 2 attempts to start the car, and it's all good.

Just this past weekend, I was stranded for a good 10 minutes before the car would unlock and start. BMW quoted me a new steering column saying that would fix the problem (over $2K). I read some forums and people said that you can purchase the ELV separate ($250) and that can be installed.

So what I did was purchase this part, I unplugged the cable to the original ELV, and plugged it into the new ELV. Everything worked fine, but after my 7th or 8th attempt, the new ELV failed as well! I would have to remove the key, wait a few seconds, put it back in, and then it'd unlock.

This leads me to believe that there is nothing wrong with the ELV - but maybe a signal leading to it that is not allowing it to function properly.

I tried my spare key, same thing. I disconnected the battery, same thing. The battery looks like it was changed in 2011, so I doubt it's that.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but wanted to see if anyone can suggest or recommend trying something else without buying the entire steering column. I believe it's some electronic signal not getting to the ELV, allowing it to function.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 07 525i Alpine White

I am sure you have googled this and turned up this thread already: ELV Steering Lock Fault - Page 2

But if not that battery sensor might be something to check out. if you need to remove the steering wheel portion within the cabin to find out let me know - I have a good step by step procedure from an E60'r who attempted the .02 cent fix to fix a ZSL error myself and others were getting.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 07 525i Alpine White

I am sure you have googled this and turned up this thread already: ELV Steering Lock Fault - Page 2

But if not that battery sensor might be something to check out. if you need to remove the steering wheel to find out let me know - I have a good step by step procedure from an E60'r who attempted the .02 cent fix to fix a ZSL error myself and others were getting.