E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter works SOMETIMES

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blizzaga
BimmerFan52,
First off, thanks for the fast responses!
I did buy the car at a BMW Dealership which is 40 minutes away from me. So in short are you saying it is worth it to drop by?

You can also examine whether the extended warranty is good and if not they can be dropped for refund so you can look for a better warranty which might cover the car more completely. Mileage will be important.

I'll definitely do that. Does this mean that I can change my warranty? Didn't know that if you can. I would like a more complete warranty if that is indeed possible. The mileage is 91,xxx

Regarding the paddle shifters I would be cautious of trying to turn the automatic transmission into a "semi-manual". Quite a number of posters on this and the other popular forum have posted about problems with an automatic transmission after repeatedly trying to drive it like a stick. While the ZF transmission is pretty solid if it gets proper care (trans fluid changes every 50K miles are recommended, even though BMW calls it a "lifetime fluid") like any transmission as they get up in age they grow more touchy as parts wear. And of course you would never get your money back at resale if you did modify the steering column to paddle shifters.

You're right, I just really like the design. Maybe just swap to this?

BMW Performance Steering Wheel - Genuine BMW 32302165395 | FCP Euro

Sorta out of topic but still pertaining to a steering wheel LoL

Thanks again! And if anyone of you has this experience or answers I would really appreciate it.

~ Shar
I would go after the BMW dealer you bought it from. It may take a Saturday or Sunday of sitting in their parking lot and experiment with moving the wheel in different positions just before you turn the engine off and remove the key. Once you find one where it won't start then go in and drag the guy outside.

One other thing you might try is a video. I had an intermittent flicker in my iDrive screen and when I would take it in the dealer would say "Can't Duplicate". So I carried my video camera and that days newspaper with me. When it acted up I videoed the screen flickering, panned over to my dash and odometer, slowly brought the newspaper front page into the shot and then back to the flickering screen. Took the video in with me on a thumb drive and finally got them to stay with it long enough to diagnose and replace the screen under warranty.

I guarantee you tearing the steering column apart will cost big bucks and if you seriously want it fixed and can't live with the problem you'll have to be a thorn in their side until they make it right. Staying within the 30 day warranty period is your best chance for success.

I, too, like the looks of the steering wheel in the link you provided. Looks like it fits only 3-series but you can probably find a 5-series equivalent.

The lowest cost extended warranties are available for under 50K and 75K miles. Some warranties are available for under 100K. Almost any warranty can be cancelled within 30 days minus some paperwork fee and your money refunded.

If you financed you may also be interested in refinancing at a lower rate. PenFed is Pentagon Federal Credit Union. It is normally only available to armed forces and govt. workers, but you can make a contribution to military families which will entitle you to join. Their used car rates cannot be beat, and they offer extended warranties at fairly reasonable prices. From everything I have heard they pay warranty claims and won't nickle and dime you. Very nice people to deal with.

https://www.penfed.org/Auto-Loans-Overview/

https://www.penfed.org/Route-66-Extended-Warranty/
Old 01-14-2014, 05:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sports Package

BimmerFan52,

Thanks for the tip! I gotta find some time real soon before the warranty. Problem is I get so lazy when it comes to these things, especially since my method and the method you mentioned has been working.
In regards to re-finance that's a whole other topic but I appreciate the links, my sister is in the Air Force and she always tells me how low everything is for her, credit cards, loans and such but I'm not sure I want to re-fi.

~ Shar