E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard monitor to wide screen one, possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just was wondering is it any possible to replace the standard size monitor (business) to
wide screen (professional/navigation) on my '08 530i Euro. Local bmw center
kept saying it's impossible (or just wanted to avoid messing up with lots of electronics)
If it is feasible, what is the procedure (what should be changed additionally, pros/cons, etc)
? And can I use its wide screen features normally?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

sure 100% you can change...
the only problem is that the idrive meniu in the screen is still 6.8"
i have the box (http://www.navvideo.com/navvideo-models-nv_bmw356.asp )behind the screen for my dvd player and when i switch to dvd input...fill up all the 8.8" with the whatever i am watching....on the dvd..

it.s super nice...
Old 04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d M Sport, Alpine White, 2006, Australian
Model Year: 2005

I remember investigating this last year. I didn't just want to change the screen. I wanted a full upgrade from Business to Pro. There's a guy in the UK who was selling the full kits on E-Bay. I spent a couple of weeks reviewing the whole upgrade procedure and decided it was too difficult for me to do at home. I had neither the expertise or the right tools for the job.

I then spoke my BMW dealer. They don't do that kind of upgrade ... they don't have the expertise either. Apparently it's factory fitted stuff. Fair enough that they don't want to go messing around with my dash. To me, that was a professional response from a professional company.

I then checked out a couple of BMW authorised smash repairers. They weren't too keen on the idea either. No one will guarantee that it is all going to work. It's not the sort of project that is done everyday ... in fact, I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful of upgrades world-wide each year. Incidently, I've had smash repairers undertake out of warranty repairs on my 323i with great success ... sunroof, electric windows and radiator head ... all fixed with genuine BMW parts but with labour at a fraction of the cost.

By the time I had finished my research I had grown accustomed to my Business Nav and screen. I've learned to survive without the map on the nav, although I miss it when I've forgotten the name of, say, the second street on the left past Jones Street. I've fallen for the seductive female voice that provides the "guidance", although she never offers encouraging remarks such as "nice turn" or "great ride".

So, after all my dribble, some advice: It's probably not worth the trouble and effort to upgrade. Just enjoy your ride and save up for the next set of run-flats.

Cheers,

virgil.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Members

Actually if its just for GPS, I would save the hassle of changing the Business monitor and messing up the electronics plus the COSTS..and go get myself a Garmin Nuvi or some other GPS device. Cheap and good
Old 04-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by virgil' post='849782' date='Apr 17 2009, 01:05 AM
I then checked out a couple of BMW authorised smash repairers. They weren't too keen on the idea either. No one will guarantee that it is all going to work. It's not the sort of project that is done everyday ... in fact, I'd be surprised if there are more than a handful of upgrades world-wide each year.
If that is the case then they all live on this forum. On here itself you'll find more than a handful of people who have successfully dont both no-Navi to Pro navi and Bus Navi to Pro Navi. Your dealers are being lazy because BMW themselves sell an outrageously expensive Bus-Nav to Pro-Nav upgrade, which if you bought they would have to do it.

Don't just change the screen, you will acheive nothing and it looks cr*p with the 6" shifted to one side of the 8" screen.