E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky steering wheel resolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by pintosa2004' post='1079753' date='Dec 25 2009, 03:45 PM
Hello!
I was looking for information regarding this subject and I found you!
My Spring 2004 E60 started doing this same noise when it was an year old, 20 k km. In the maintenance, still under the guaranty, the BMW dealer told me that I was lucky for still being under guaranty, because they had to change the steering box and that would cost me about 2500 euros (3500 USD)!
However, 40 k km and 4 years later, a few months ago, the noise reappeared. I went to another garage asking for some lubrification in the steering but one hour later they phoned me: would I authorize the entire replacement of the steering box, for 2500 euros? That was the only solution, they said.
Then I told them that the box had already been replaced 4 years before, so I was not prepared to replace the box each 4 years for such a huge price! But they replied that the first time the first garage had not really replaced the box, what they should have done to honor the guaranty. They had just applied a paste.
I replied that if a paste could fix the problem for 4 years / 40 k km, that was ok for me and that was all that I wanted.
However, they say that they could not do that because BMW did not authorize it and I was risking to break the steering and have a big trouble. So I agreed with the replacement and they ordered a new steering box from Spain, but they mistaken the number and a wrong box has come. To allow me to have my car by Christmas and while waiting for a new (correct) box, they assembled again my old box and I brought the car for Christmas. But there is no noise at all, now, so I am thinking of giving up the box replacement and sparing 2500 ?!
Meanwhile I came to the WWW to look for information regarding this subject and I found you and some other information in other foruns confirming your point. But there is something I can share back with you: that solution they applied to your car, which surely is what they had also made to my car the first time and now, will fix the problem for 3/4 years and 30/40 k km!
I think may be BMW needs our finantial help to survive the global recession, but the truth is that I had no other problem at all with this car for 5 1/2 years and 66 k km, and this the best car I ever had! However, if it requires such an expensive maintenance, I will start thinking of Lexus...
/Pinto Sa from Portugal
Thank you for taking the time to write this. While the prospect of the noise coming back is disheartening, I will make sure that the dealer performs the same, exact procedure if they want to just replace the steering rack, unless of course it happens during my CPO warranty period.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1084127' date='Jan 4 2010, 03:15 PM
Thank you for taking the time to write this. While the prospect of the noise coming back is disheartening, I will make sure that the dealer performs the same, exact procedure if they want to just replace the steering rack, unless of course it happens during my CPO warranty period.

i still have the noise, my dealership says it wont be covered under CPO and BMW NA wont tell me if it is covered or not

basically they are saying that the specifics of CPO are left to the determination of the dealer?? this is horseshit, BMW NA doesnt have any literature SPECIFICALLY on what CPO does and does not cover, just a bunch of general items that have hundreds of subcomponents to them
Old 01-05-2010, 07:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 750Li, & 03 E500 & 06 550i

I have this problem with my 06 550i now, however its odd because it is only on slower turns and only when turning left. The decription of sound doesnt seem to be the same because mine is more of a low howl noise, less like a squeak and more like a rubbing noise. Does have the same sound as a power steering pump going out or low fluid, but definitely sounds more mechanical than a squeak. First shot with the dealer was they found nothing and couldnt duplicate it but taking it in today and going to drive with them so they can hear it when I am driving. It happens all of the time so they just didnt know what to listen for.

I also have to let them hear my wind noise from the moonroof. Same thing they said they couldnt duplicate it and my dealer is very good, but this one is easy, when I drive I will simply close the liner/shade cover and the air noise goes away. With the shade pulled back then the wind noise is very apparent and actually at highway speeds makes it annoying to carry on a conversation with a passenger.

I'll report what they do on both but thanks for the PUMA info.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

im having the same problem with a 530i still covered under CPO. Took it into the dealer, they just sprayed lubrication on it, but it didnt fix the problem.. Does anyone know any service bulletins i can take to the dealer to help me? THanks
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

I am having exactly this problem in the video below:

Only in my car the noise is weaker and does it only during the first 1/4 turn of the wheel, in either direction, in standstill or very low speed.

Is this the same "squeaking" you guys are getting, or is this something else?

How can this be fixed? My car is out of warranty and I dont want to buy a new steering column or rack, I would much rather have someone fix the precise problem if we know what it is?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
I am having exactly this problem in the video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBqpYmBAaA&NR=1

Only in my car the noise is weaker and does it only during the first 1/4 turn of the wheel, in either direction, in standstill or very low speed.

Is this the same "squeaking" you guys are getting, or is this something else?

How can this be fixed? My car is out of warranty and I dont want to buy a new steering column or rack, I would much rather have someone fix the precise problem if we know what it is?

Thanks
Yes, it is precisely that same noise!
Recently I spoke to a garage man about this, and he told me that a few other brands were doing similar things: trying to convince us to replace some expensive equipment for a few thousand euros (= USD). It is because of the recession. The garage man adviced me not to worry about the noise: the car will not break with that. But I am unhappy with these robberies...
Good luck!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Members

Captains log. 22.10.2011

Horrible squeaky sound ignored based on bmw claiming power rack and steering pinion would not be damaged.

Noise heard at 60.000 km
Power rack lost all oil at 120.000 km

Power rack and tie rods replaced. Cost 3000 euros, 5500 dollars, 32000 nkr.

Why? The construction is simply not strong enough, is it?

It was worth it though. The silence. The horrible vibration in the steering wheel gone.

Now I just have to replace the rear axel compressor for level control and the wiring in the hatch.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:45 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60

hi i also have an e60 which has a squeky steering wheel and its quite annoying and yes mine is an electric steering wheel