E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky steering wheel resolution

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knut' post='780991' date='Jan 30 2009, 05:27 AM
Hi
I had a similar procedure done on my 2005, E60. Experienced the same noise. I could also feel it in the steering wheel.
What they actually did was going lock to lock with the steering wheel while monitoring the temperature in the steering fluid reservoir, stopping at 90 degrees Celsius.
The explanation for this was that the spindle is hollow. The increase in temperature and pressure causes the hydraulic fluid to rise and thereby rinsing and lubricating the spindle.
The noise disappeared for three months, and, as you may have guessed, has now returned.
I didn't quite like this procedure. Hydraulic oil is designed for pressure and contains detergents. It's never used for lubrication.

I found this DIY on Bimmerforum. Hope you find it helpful.

A little update. The steering wheel was giving me nightmares, so I tried adjusting the vertical position by loosening the handle and juggling the steering wheel up and down a few times. This was February 1. Something happened because the noise disappeared a couple of days later and has yet to return, today beeing February 17. 2009.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=245961

Regards Knut L., Norway
Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Members

Had my car serviced 0403.2009.
Asked if they could just grease the lower part of the spindle just to humour me.
Noise disappeared. Will report back in a couple of months.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i & 2004 X5

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='778403' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:13 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that it would help the membership with future issues:

A while ago, my 2006 E60 developed a squeak in the steering wheel when turning either left or right. It sounded to me like when rubber expands and rubs up against something solid; squeaky rubber.

I took it to my excellent dealer who confirmed the squeak even with the engine off. They wrote that SIB 32 17 08 applied to the situation and tried a bunch of things that did not work. Ultimately, they submitted PUMA case for possible steering rack replacement.

PUMA case replied with complete flush of power steering system and bleeding procedure.

This is what they did (written word for word from invoice)

"Per PUMA case, removed return line to P/S reservoir and flushed P/S system new Penticin till pure clean Penticin was flushed. A) Per outlined bleeding procedure replaced power steering reservoir containing P/S filter. Replenished complete power system. Then performed extended bleeding procedure outlined in the PUMA case by running engine at 2500RPM and going lock to lock with brake pedal depressed until P/S steering fluid obtained 105 deg C. then let brake pedal go and turned steering lock to lock 20 times. This procedure was completed 2 more times. This procedure was successful with no more squeaking from steering column. Even when vehicle sat for 2 hours and retested. Tested OK."

Only had the car back for one day and so far there are no squeaks. I will monitor this and will report an update to the membership in about a month or so, if desired.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this in the past and, if it was resolved the same way, did it it fix the problem permanently or is this a patch that will last long enough until I run out of warranty? The only thing that bothers me is that the dealer was able to duplicate this even with the engine off, so I don't fully undersatnd how the procedure above worked.

To the technical geniuses here (I.E. the moderators) why do you think that this procedure would eliminate a problem that sounded like a physical rubber something was rubbing against something else?

To BMW, if this resolves the problem, you guys are geniuses. To my dealer, FMW of Natick, you guys are simply the best. Thanks for working hard and always making sure that this picky customer leaves with a smile on his face. What's up with the crappy Enterprise rentals, though?

If the above procedure will help even one member I will be very happy.

I have 2004 530i and this squeaky noise has been bugging me. With 76K miles and only 1 week of CPO left I took the car to my dealer. First they perform SI B 32 17 08 lubricating without any results and then SI B 32 07 08 fixed the problem with Lubrizol treatment. I'm glad that they actually figured out, but not happy about paying $325 since this is not covered under CPO. My service advisor said that if this procedure wouldn't work the next step will be to replace the steering gear and this is something that would be covered under CPO.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Happy to report that nearly 10 months after the procedure outlined on my first post, the steering wheel still does not have any squeaks. Will wait and see what happens when the real cold weather hits the northeast.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1032452' date='Oct 14 2009, 04:58 PM
Happy to report that nearly 10 months after the procedure outlined on my first post, the steering wheel still does not have any squeaks. Will wait and see what happens when the real cold weather hits the northeast.

i have this problem currently, anybody have a DIY to correct this. it seems when turning wheel its a squeaky noise that sounds like a door opening.

need help its annoying as hell!!!

thanks again.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1032452' date='Oct 14 2009, 09:58 PM
Hello!
I was looking for information regarding this subject and I found you!
My Spring 2004 E60 started doing this same noise when it was an year old, 20 k km. In the maintenance, still under the guaranty, the BMW dealer told me that I was lucky for still being under guaranty, because they had to change the steering box and that would cost me about 2500 euros (3500 USD)!
However, 40 k km and 4 years later, a few months ago, the noise reappeared. I went to another garage asking for some lubrification in the steering but one hour later they phoned me: would I authorize the entire replacement of the steering box, for 2500 euros? That was the only solution, they said.
Then I told them that the box had already been replaced 4 years before, so I was not prepared to replace the box each 4 years for such a huge price! But they replied that the first time the first garage had not really replaced the box, what they should have done to honor the guaranty. They had just applied a paste.
I replied that if a paste could fix the problem for 4 years / 40 k km, that was ok for me and that was all that I wanted.
However, they say that they could not do that because BMW did not authorize it and I was risking to break the steering and have a big trouble. So I agreed with the replacement and they ordered a new steering box from Spain, but they mistaken the number and a wrong box has come. To allow me to have my car by Christmas and while waiting for a new (correct) box, they assembled again my old box and I brought the car for Christmas. But there is no noise at all, now, so I am thinking of giving up the box replacement and sparing 2500 ?!
Meanwhile I came to the WWW to look for information regarding this subject and I found you and some other information in other foruns confirming your point. But there is something I can share back with you: that solution they applied to your car, which surely is what they had also made to my car the first time and now, will fix the problem for 3/4 years and 30/40 k km!
I think may be BMW needs our finantial help to survive the global recession, but the truth is that I had no other problem at all with this car for 5 1/2 years and 66 k km, and this the best car I ever had! However, if it requires such an expensive maintenance, I will start thinking of Lexus...
/Pinto Sa from Portugal
Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

anybody have this recently... im currently experiencing this but not sure what to do????
help!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1083907' date='Jan 4 2010, 04:41 PM
anybody have this recently... im currently experiencing this but not sure what to do????
help!

+1

Chris
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='778403' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:13 AM
A while ago, my 2006 E60 developed a squeak in the steering wheel when turning either left or right. It sounded to me like when rubber expands and rubs up against something solid; squeaky rubber.
Have you tried making the radio louder? Seems to fix most annoying squeeks and rattles
Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='1084012' date='Jan 4 2010, 02:59 PM
Have you tried making the radio louder? Seems to fix most annoying squeeks and rattles

funny hahahahahahaha ... NO!

Quick Reply: Squeaky steering wheel resolution