E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Squeaky steering wheel resolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience in the hopes that it would help the membership with future issues:

A while ago, my 2006 E60 developed a squeak in the steering wheel when turning either left or right. It sounded to me like when rubber expands and rubs up against something solid; squeaky rubber.

I took it to my excellent dealer who confirmed the squeak even with the engine off. They wrote that SIB 32 17 08 applied to the situation and tried a bunch of things that did not work. Ultimately, they submitted PUMA case for possible steering rack replacement.

PUMA case replied with complete flush of power steering system and bleeding procedure.

This is what they did (written word for word from invoice)

"Per PUMA case, removed return line to P/S reservoir and flushed P/S system new Penticin till pure clean Penticin was flushed. A) Per outlined bleeding procedure replaced power steering reservoir containing P/S filter. Replenished complete power system. Then performed extended bleeding procedure outlined in the PUMA case by running engine at 2500RPM and going lock to lock with brake pedal depressed until P/S steering fluid obtained 105 deg C. then let brake pedal go and turned steering lock to lock 20 times. This procedure was completed 2 more times. This procedure was successful with no more squeaking from steering column. Even when vehicle sat for 2 hours and retested. Tested OK."

Only had the car back for one day and so far there are no squeaks. I will monitor this and will report an update to the membership in about a month or so, if desired.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this in the past and, if it was resolved the same way, did it it fix the problem permanently or is this a patch that will last long enough until I run out of warranty? The only thing that bothers me is that the dealer was able to duplicate this even with the engine off, so I don't fully undersatnd how the procedure above worked.

To the technical geniuses here (I.E. the moderators) why do you think that this procedure would eliminate a problem that sounded like a physical rubber something was rubbing against something else?

To BMW, if this resolves the problem, you guys are geniuses. To my dealer, FMW of Natick, you guys are simply the best. Thanks for working hard and always making sure that this picky customer leaves with a smile on his face. What's up with the crappy Enterprise rentals, though?

If the above procedure will help even one member I will be very happy.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I have an 06 525i that is working great (knock on wood!) but I will keep an eye out for this. By the way, what model e60 do you have? Does it have active steering? Thanks again for the excellent post.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by kgmccarthy' post='778411' date='Jan 27 2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for posting this. I have an 06 525i that is working great (knock on wood!) but I will keep an eye out for this. By the way, what model e60 do you have? Does it have active steering? Thanks again for the excellent post.
I own a 2006, 525XI. It does not have active steering because it was only available to RWD vehicles for that model year. I was hoping to hear from more members regarding their experience with this noise.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Contributors

I have this problem and the dealer sent in the SIB request, but they said it would probably come down to a flush

they are telling me that if they could get the SIB to go through then CPO covers it, but the flush is $300 and its not covered

how did it go on your end?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='778810' date='Jan 28 2009, 12:38 AM
I own a 2006, 525XI. It does not have active steering because it was only available to RWD vehicles for that model year. I was hoping to hear from more members regarding their experience with this noise.
Just curious; did you have the impression that the steering around the center point was a bit heavy, in other words, did the steering wheel always return to the centerposition correctly when driving?
Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='779147' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:33 AM
Just curious; did you have the impression that the steering around the center point was a bit heavy, in other words, did the steering wheel always return to the centerposition correctly when driving?

I think this isn't related with what you describe. The problem you describe is due to a wrong allignment and/or older RFT's.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='778812
No, I did not experience that. It was just squeaky but everything else seemed to work fine including what you describe and the auto steering wheel positioning.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='779155' date='Jan 28 2009, 08:52 AM
I think this isn't related with what you describe. The problem you describe is due to a wrong allignment and/or older RFT's.
I drew out my wallet and had them do the KDS 4 wheel alignment last monday. They did find some off spec values but after correcting them my
steeringwheel still doesn't return to the center position.

Can you tell me something more about the RFT's? I indeed run 17" RFT's
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535dA M-Sport Carbon Black Nasca Black leather AFS Comfort Access Moonroof Active seat vent Xenon Navi Prof. Night Vision HUD High Gloss Shadow Line

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='780047' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:53 AM
I drew out my wallet and had them do the KDS 4 wheel alignment last monday. They did find some off spec values but after correcting them my
steeringwheel still doesn't return to the center position.

Can you tell me something more about the RFT's? I indeed run 17" RFT's

You probably have older RFT's. Please let me know the following (of the front tyres!):
- Thread left (in mm);
- DOT# = mentioned on the side wall, should be 4 digits (f.i. DOT 3704 = production date week 37/2004)

Also, don't compare the steering with a FWD car!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by LW78' post='780049' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:14 PM
Also, don't compare the steering with a FWD car!
I try not to but currently I drive both types on a daily basis...

Quick Reply: Squeaky steering wheel resolution