E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure about NYC but in California, you don't pay the fine and appear on the Court date and plead not guilty, then you will get a court date. If the officer does not appear in the next court date, your ticket will get dismiss. Even if the the officer appears, you can still dispute the speed itself unless he has the radar locked and you were by yourself. Most of the time, on this appearance, you plead no contest, the Judge will reduce the fine and allow you to go to traffic school to clear it up, if you did not attend any traffic school in the prior 18 months period. I did not know that it's even possible to call in and plead not guilt over the phone.

Anyway, this is how it works in North California and I just went through it not that long ago but mine was only 75 in the 45 zone though.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 M5

NotSpeeding.com

Based on personal experience I've gotten out of several speeding tickets (84 in a 50 NY-287, 45 in a 25 NJ-Bergenfield, 90 in a 55 NJ-95) with their representation. The ticket from NY was changed to a parking ticket summons, the one from NJ was changed to a non-moving violation, and the other one from NJ was dismissed.

Of course they will say that they can not guarantee any results so keep that in mind. Well worth the money to have a lawyer represent you in either case. Also NYC courts are stricter & most of them do not have prosecutors... so you'll be speaking directly with the judge... New York courts such as those in Rockland County & Orange County do have prosecutors and are more negotiable.

I got a ticket for going 62 in a 55 on the Henry Hudson passing through 96th Street and the damn F*ing judge wouldn't budge! I had another ticket for not stopping at a stop sign in the Bronx and the judge threw it out because the cop did not properly fill the summons!

Talk to them and if anything get a lawyer from the city... & needless to say, I've had my share if tickets... lol
Old 08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

Police are notorious for trolling on bridges because even if you're doing the speed limit at 65mph, the moment you touch the bridge, the speed limit is cut almost in half. So if you're cruising at 65mph, cross onto a bridge...BAM you're speeding at almost double the speed limit. The speed limit is posted but most people don't realize or have time to adjust their speed before they jump on you.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

the bridges in the bay area are double or triple fine zones.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

With the current budget deficit, they are in it for the money. So, if you have a clean record, they will let you plead it down to lesser charge with no point. But you will have to pay a rather large fine.

Last year, I was unfairly caught speeding in Tuxedo NY (during the Tri-State Bear Mountain Meet). With my clean record, the court offered me a deal which reduced the original charge to parking violation. The total fine and fee added up to $300+. Be prepared to pay and good luck.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

I got an 80 inna 55 on 95 in conneticut in my 18 wheeler bout 4 years ago cost me 1000 bux but it dissapeared. ouch
Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
If you had been driving in Ontario, you would have had your car impounded on the spot and lost your license for a minimum of one week. Minimum fine is $2,000 up to $10,000 + jail time + impound fees. I believe maximum points are added and insurance costs rise dramatically.

oh my days! serious is that how law is in canada?
Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Mr5
Members

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
Pulled over speeding at 1:45am, clocked at 86 in a 40 going over RFK brdge. Need info for a good traffic lawyer.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Meh....

That's not bad, it's just speeding.

I have a lawyer that can take care of it that's also working on my case...which is much much worse.

PM me if you want me to get you in touch with him.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
Pulled over speeding at 1:45am, clocked at 86 in a 40 going over RFK brdge. Need info for a good traffic lawyer.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

so easy to go that speed in a car that you barely feel it.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER
oh my days! serious is that how law is in canada?
My original post is for any speeding that exceeds 50 kph (30mph) over any posted limit and falls under a very strict 'stunt driving' law meant to curtail high speed crashes and deaths. It's only in Ontario and is being tested in higher courts since the apprehending cop is the judge and jury and the sentence is at roadside since the 7 day impound and license suspension are instant. Thousands of drivers have been affected.
I set my speed limit to 40kph over the current highway limit of 100kph.

Quick Reply: Speeding