E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Speeding

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 550i - AS, SP, CWP, Nav, L7, Rear Sunshades, PDC, Comfort Seats

Pulled over speeding at 1:45am, clocked at 86 in a 40 going over RFK brdge. Need info for a good traffic lawyer.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Senior Members

good luck beating that ticket. just slow down man
Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i never knew there was cops on the triboro. GOod luck fighting it. It's not easy. I'll try to see what I can do.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bens1088
good luck beating that ticket. just slow down man
Not looking to beat it, trying to get it reduced. I will drive like grandpa from now on.

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
i never knew there was cops on the triboro. GOod luck fighting it. It's not easy. I'll try to see what I can do.
Yes, there are cops on the bridge, thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

My daughter got a ticket for 64 in a 40 a few years back. I had her plead not guilty and we scheduled a meeting with the assistant DA. I was able to get it down to a probation-like driving incident where nothing appears her driving record (insurance purposes) and she had to pay the fine of $275. Ironically, they sent the $275 back as a bond release. Clerks messed up at the courthouse.

You can try going that route. If you have the time, try scheduling an appointment with the prosecuting DA and see if they will reduce. If not, plead not-guilty and get a court date. Before the court date, make another attempt with the DA. They do not like to defend these things. It wastes their time and the officer's time. If you do have to appear in court you would be better off getting an attorney or just paying. Judges are very biased in these things and justice is blind in the officer's favor.

BTW - She did not get off free. I made her donate the money to a charity and write an essay on safe driving as well as loose driving privileges for 3 months.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GP550iSport
Not looking to beat it, trying to get it reduced. I will drive like grandpa from now on.
Call them and plead not guilty and they should give you a court date. Go to court and ask to speak to a prosecutor and they usually lower the points but you'd have to pay for all the court fees + the fine. Do you have a clean driving record?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

wow... isnt that felony charge and your license suspended already??? Get attorney asap and fight for it so that you wont have reckless driving...

gosh if it was in VA i couldve help you out but i dont know anyone personally in NY .. sorry but i will ask few friends that i know that drive crazy in NYC.

i dont know if this applies in NYC but when you go to court and if police officer did not show up then you can get it reduced or taken off... but i bet there gotta be some way since my attorney just let this kid off from ticket like the similar situation as you do..

dont give up !!!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

If you had been driving in Ontario, you would have had your car impounded on the spot and lost your license for a minimum of one week. Minimum fine is $2,000 up to $10,000 + jail time + impound fees. I believe maximum points are added and insurance costs rise dramatically.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JeRZee XiE60
Call them and plead not guilty and they should give you a court date. Go to court and ask to speak to a prosecutor and they usually lower the points but you'd have to pay for all the court fees + the fine. Do you have a clean driving record?
This is what I am hoping for....do they do this in the NYC traffic courts? I know this outside of NYC. Yes, I have a clean driving record.

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
If you had been driving in Ontario, you would have had your car impounded on the spot and lost your license for a minimum of one week. Minimum fine is $2,000 up to $10,000 + jail time + impound fees. I believe maximum points are added and insurance costs rise dramatically.
Yipes! Yes, if convicted it is 11 points and all you stated.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Thanks for all of the respones, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Speeding