E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spacesaver Spare wont fit in Wheel Well Liner

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

< I'd be interested to know if those who have the emergency spare supplied from the factory have a smooth liner - and if there's a BMW part code for it. >

Red, I'd be glad to get back to you on this...someday. But to get our US donut and equipment out, it appears to be quite a job with all the fitted Styrofoam and jack parts bolted down with the wheel. I'm sure it's not bad, but I don't want to start any rattles back there before I must.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='220629' date='Jan 7 2006, 08:22 PM
Hey there, does anyone in the UK know what the law is on carrying a spare wheel??? i would rather not have the added weight!!! thought of using the sealer stuff like what comes with the mini.

Thanks,
I asked this of BMW UK in October; their response was ...

We can confirm the BMW 5 Series can run on conventional tyres. As with all new BMW models, our vehicles are designed to operate with runflat technology and are set up accordingly. No alterations will be necessary except for the legal requirement of including an emergency device such as a space saver.

Please may we suggest you contact the Parts department at your local BMW Approved Dealership who will be able to provide you with the cost of replacing the tyres as this is not an option available from the factory.

Regards,
Old 01-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pauldeudderlegg' post='221388
Hey there, does anyone in the UK know what the law is on carrying a spare wheel??? i would rather not have the added weight!!! thought of using the sealer stuff like what comes with the mini.

Thanks,
I asked this of BMW UK in October; their response was ...

We can confirm the BMW 5 Series can run on conventional tyres. As with all new BMW models, our vehicles are designed to operate with runflat technology and are set up accordingly. No alterations will be necessary except for the legal requirement of including an emergency device such as a space saver.

Please may we suggest you contact the Parts department at your local BMW Approved Dealership who will be able to provide you with the cost of replacing the tyres as this is not an option available from the factory.

Regards,
[/quote]
Eh? That's not true! The 19" (172) option is definitely non-runflat! Last time I looked you could still specify the spacesaver as a 'cheap' option...