E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Spacesaver Spare wont fit in Wheel Well Liner

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black 2004 525d SE

Hi Everyone,

I've been using the form for a while, and and just decided to register today.

My car came with Goodyear NCT5 Run flats and after 33k and much deliberation including pouring over all of the forum posts, I decided to swap over to non run flats. (I got 4 new 225/50/17 Michilin Primacys from local Kwikfit for just ?458 GBP)

After checking availability of the spacesaver spare, jack and brace kit from my local BMW dealership I popped in to collect it, naturally being taxed ?180.00 by the smiling partsman.

I then tried to put it all in the spare wheel well and found it wouldn't fit.

There was 4 plastic dividers in the wheel well which slotted into a moulding on the centre threaded bar and into grooves in the wheel well liner. I'm not sure whether this is standard on cars without spacesavers or not, or whether it's some storage option. Anyway took the dividers out and now the spacesaver spare fouls on the grooves in the liner and it won't sit flat in the wheel well.

I'm reluctant to remove the liner alltogether or jam in the spare in and deform the liner,

Anyone got any ideas
Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by rdlfc' post='220104' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

My car came with Goodyear NCT5 Run flats and after 33k and much deliberation including pouring over all of the forum posts, I decided to swap over to non run flats. (I got 4 new 225/50/17 Michilin Primacys from local Kwikfit for just ?458 GBP)

After checking availability of the spacesaver spare, jack and brace kit from my local BMW dealership I popped in to collect it, naturally being taxed ?180.00 by the smiling partsman.

There was 4 plastic dividers in the wheel well which slotted into a moulding on the centre threaded bar and into grooves in the bootlid liner. I'm not sure whether this is standard on cars without spacesavers or not, or whether it's some storage option. Anyway took the dividers out and now the spacesaver spare fouls on the grooves in the liner and it won't sit flat in the wheel well.

I'm reluctant to remove the liner alltogether or jam in the spare in and deform the liner,

Anyone got any ideas
Welcome to the group. You could put your car on a weight-reduction program like mine, take the spare back, and save money by going with "Trunk Funk"--although the fit may not be like in my US 545i.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rdlfc' post='220104' date='Jan 6 2006, 07:02 PM

There was 4 plastic dividers in the wheel well which slotted into a moulding on the centre threaded bar and into grooves in the wheel well liner. I'm not sure whether this is standard on cars without spacesavers or not, or whether it's some storage option. Anyway took the dividers out and now the spacesaver spare fouls on the grooves in the liner and it won't sit flat in the wheel well.

The liner has to go! I got presented with it when I collected my car... The dealer did if for me and it now sits in my garage...
Old 01-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Anyone got any ideas
In 2004 I ordered an E60 (came with Run-flats) and I got the spare wheel and jack at the time to be safe.

Last July I changed to another E60 and as part of the deal had the dealer replace the RFT's with real tyres. Rather than order a spare wheel and jack again, I just took it from my 2004. I do remember the quadrant in the boot well but the dealer just took it out and also swapped carpet bits between the cars. The wheel certainly fits but u may have a carpet which is shaped to dip in to the well where there is now a tyre.

Re the tyre swap, the change is fantastic. Best decision I made and adds another bit of refinement to the overall package.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by rdlfc' post='220104' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:02 PM
Hi Everyone,

Anyone got any ideas
I'd go right back to that smiling partsman and tell him to make it work. Knowing BMW, there is probably some sort of bulletin or modification guideline for this, and for that price, let them figure it out.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='220125
I'd go right back to that smiling partsman and tell him to make it work. Knowing BMW, there is probably some sort of bulletin or modification guideline for this, and for that price, let them figure it out.
[/quote]
They did for me, but I did spend a wedge of cash on 4 new tyres with them...
Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Contributors

you have to remove the entire carpet inner life with the slots of the mould where the reserve tyre will be placed - that is the only way it will fit in there.

greetinz from austria

rsyed
Old 01-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Hey there, does anyone in the UK know what the law is on carrying a spare wheel??? i would rather not have the added weight!!! thought of using the sealer stuff like what comes with the mini.

Thanks,
Old 01-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='220629' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:22 PM
Hey there, does anyone in the UK know what the law is on carrying a spare wheel??? i would rather not have the added weight!!! thought of using the sealer stuff like what comes with the mini.

Thanks,
This is a good one!

But since BMW now imports all their 1- and 3-series cars to Finland (EU) with RF's and without a spare,
I am pretty sure it's not needed (in EU).

But only IF you have RF tires or a tire repair set
Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Please see signature

[ ... ]

Anyone got any ideas
I recently got rid of my runflats, bought the spare wheel and jack kit, and had exactly the same problem.

The "liner" for the spare wheel well (not sure what else to call it) had four moulded protrusions to hold the 4 plastic partitions (which I threw away). These protrusions stopped the emergency spare wheel from fitting in the well. As I see it, there are two choices (maybe three):

1) Remove the liner all together - which is what the BMW service guy told me to do.

2) Cut the offending protrusions out of the liner (that's what I did - it was tough to cut - looked like carpet but was some really tough hybrid plastic)

3) Possibly buy a liner that doesn't have these protrusions

I decided not to go for option 1 because there are some electronic boxes under the floor of the trunk, and I read somewhere on this forum that spilling liquid in there isn't a good idea. BTW, it did strike me that if BMW had wanted to, they could have moved these somewhere else and given us a full-sized spare wheel just like we had in the E39.

Back to the story. I removed the liner, cut the protrusions out (leaving four holes unfortunately), re-fitted the liner, and the emergency spare "donut" now fits snugly in there. I'd be interested to know if those who have the emergency spare supplied from the factory have a smooth liner - and if there's a BMW part code for it.

The piece I'm talking about is item #17 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...126&hg=51&fg=65
You can see the moulded protruding lugs in the drawing.

Since swapping for normal tyres I've also got some cans of emergency tyre repair goo - just in case I get a puncture in a dangerous place. The guy at the tyre centre recommended them.

Hope you enjoy your E60 more now with normal tyres... I do java script:emoticon('', 'smid_23')

Quick Reply: Spacesaver Spare wont fit in Wheel Well Liner