E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed -

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

I apologize that the car isn't clean in these pics-Boston weather isn't kind to new cars...

First impressions after 100 miles....IMHO

aesthetics

1) silver gray is beautiful, and the auburn is stunning, really brightens the interior and looks very rich when looking through the windows - I thought of getting the classic silver / black interior but wanted something distinctive and not so dark in the interior - and I love it.

2) the dark poplar looks really fantastic with the auburn and black - my first choice would have been light poplar and black but that combo !@#$ isn't available in the States.....

3) the ventureshield bra is invisible and will undoubtedly protect my investment (M-aero kit esp.)

4) the M-aero kit, both front AND rear look fantastic and really transform the E60-so much better than the stock E60 and worth it if you can afford the extra 2.5K - I was initially planning on keeping the stock rear but the M-aero rear bumper is very aggressive and flows nicely with the rocker panels and complements the aggressive front spoiler.

5) the 123 wheels are really nice and with my winter 245 40 18 Sottozeros looks great (and hopefully will work well too) - the fit in the wheel well is perfect and my feeling is that if the correct wheel-tire size and offset are chosen that the slight increased ride height of the 530xi is not noticeable - see the pics. If the wheel/tire combo is incorrect the 530xi can definitely look like it's riding too high.

options

1) HUD - very cool and i don't even look at the regular speedometer anymore! i need to get mine adjusted for angle - can you do it yourself?

2) rear curtain - a definite must! very quiet and effective

3) Idrive-30 minutes and I've mastered it - I love it!!! and it can be fully operated even when the car is in motion.

4) Sirius-crappy reception for some channels and great for others - but adds to the variety of audio options.

5) Nav-love it, great so far, I love being able to customize the split screen!!!

6) Winter-the heated steering wheel and seats are unbelievably quick!

7) Comfort seats - you are making a big mistake if you don't order them - they are the most incredible car seats I have ever used.

8) Logic7- the cabin is quiet and the sound quality is very good-probably not as good as an aftermarket upgrade but still excellent, with good sound processing options

9) comfort access-once you get it, you can't imagine a car without it. expensive, though.

performance

1) with the 6 speed and upgraded inline 6 it is a fast car with usable torque at low rpms - honestly I miss my E34 and V8 for more power and would have purchased the 550i if it came with x-drive but the refined ride, upgraded technology, and markedly improved MPG is worth the trade off - when i read that the cruising range of the M5 is less than 200 miles? for me, no thanks. (although I'd love an M5!)

2) car is tight, firm ride, quiet and responsive with my Sottozero 240's -

3) no snow yet in Boston - will let you know after the next big dump!

problems

1) cracked storage bin in trunk - looked like it was scotch taped together-very lame

2) driver side passenger window seal damaged-seems like a minor fix

3) fit and finish overall is excellent-but the exterior fit of the panels/hood could be better

BOTTOM LINE

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A LUXURY PERFORMANCE SEDAN WITH FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, THIS IS THE CAR TO BEAT. I DROVE THE LEXUS GS300 AWD, THE AUDI A6 AND A8, AND SKIPPED THE MERCEDES OPTIONS FOR THE CRAPPY ERGONOMICS AND POOR QUALITY.

I will update the site with my experiences....

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0619.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0620.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0622.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0623.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0625.jpg  

First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0629.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0628.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0627.jpg  
Old 01-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

nice.
I can tell that your car has a good wax layer as to the dirt sliding patterns
Old 01-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='220573' date='Jan 7 2006, 10:03 AM
I apologize that the car isn't clean in these pics-Boston weather isn't kind to new cars...

First impressions after 100 miles....IMHO

aesthetics

1) silver gray is beautiful, and the auburn is stunning, really brightens the interior and looks very rich when looking through the windows - I thought of getting the classic silver / black interior but wanted something distinctive and not so dark in the interior - and I love it.

2) the dark poplar looks really fantastic with the auburn and black - my first choice would have been light poplar and black but that combo !@#$ isn't available in the States.....

3) the ventureshield bra is invisible and will undoubtedly protect my investment (M-aero kit esp.)

4) the M-aero kit, both front AND rear look fantastic and really transform the E60-so much better than the stock E60 and worth it if you can afford the extra 2.5K - I was initially planning on keeping the stock rear but the M-aero rear bumper is very aggressive and flows nicely with the rocker panels and complements the aggressive front spoiler.

5) the 123 wheels are really nice and with my winter 245 40 18 Sottozeros looks great (and hopefully will work well too) - the fit in the wheel well is perfect and my feeling is that if the correct wheel-tire size and offset are chosen that the slight increased ride height of the 530xi is not noticeable - see the pics. If the wheel/tire combo is incorrect the 530xi can definitely look like it's riding too high.

options

1) HUD - very cool and i don't even look at the regular speedometer anymore! i need to get mine adjusted for angle - can you do it yourself?

2) rear curtain - a definite must! very quiet and effective

3) Idrive-30 minutes and I've mastered it - I love it!!! and it can be fully operated even when the car is in motion.

4) Sirius-crappy reception for some channels and great for others - but adds to the variety of audio options.

5) Nav-love it, great so far, I love being able to customize the split screen!!!

6) Winter-the heated steering wheel and seats are unbelievably quick!

7) Comfort seats - you are making a big mistake if you don't order them - they are the most incredible car seats I have ever used.

8) Logic7- the cabin is quiet and the sound quality is very good-probably not as good as an aftermarket upgrade but still excellent, with good sound processing options

9) comfort access-once you get it, you can't imagine a car without it. expensive, though.

performance

1) with the 6 speed and upgraded inline 6 it is a fast car with usable torque at low rpms - honestly I miss my E34 and V8 for more power and would have purchased the 550i if it came with x-drive but the refined ride, upgraded technology, and markedly improved MPG is worth the trade off - when i read that the cruising range of the M5 is less than 200 miles? for me, no thanks. (although I'd love an M5!)

2) car is tight, firm ride, quiet and responsive with my Sottozero 240's -

3) no snow yet in Boston - will let you know after the next big dump!

problems

1) cracked storage bin in trunk - looked like it was scotch taped together-very lame

3) fit and finish overall is excellent-but the exterior fit of the panels/hood could be better

BOTTOM LINE

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A LUXURY PERFORMANCE SEDAN WITH FOUR WHEEL DRIVE, THIS IS THE CAR TO BEAT. I DROVE THE LEXUS GS300 AWD, THE AUDI A6 AND A8, AND SKIPPED THE MERCEDES OPTIONS FOR THE CRAPPY ERGONOMICS AND POOR QUALITY.

I will update the site with my experiences....

Cheers!
Looks great..my favorite color combo!
Old 01-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

Why do people include the whole original post in their reply? A bit annoying but maybe they can't help it.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by wulff1' post='220573' date='Jan 7 2006, 08:03 PM
problems

Seems that we have a happy fellow Forum member but also a very critical one.
That's good

Some questions:

1) and 2); somebody must has done some violence? Any pics?

3) Ext panels, what do you mean with these? Any pics, no 2?
The hood can be adjusted if you feel it doesn't fit 100%. Pics 3?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Im surprised that you find the reception to vary from station to station with Sirius. I don't find that (also here in the Boston area) and I can't think of a technical reason for it, as the entire feed comes from the same satellite as far as I know.

I do know that the signal is lost easily driving under an overpass, in the Big Dig tunnels, etc.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

Love the photoshop on the license plate ...
Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

At certain times, some music stations sounded overcompressed and muddy and others did not, during the day today, the stations were clearer.

Here are some pics of some of the minor issues that came with my new E60 -

the interior window seal was buckled and torn, sticking up from the sill

a chip off the storage bin in the trunk was held by scotch tape

and the hood appears to be bent in too much and does not fit flush with the body panels -

little things that irritate when dropping 60K for a new car..

OTHERWISE, the car is awesome! I love I-drive! much maligned and undeservedly so...

and by the way, these pics were taken with a fujifilm finepix f11 - an incredible pocket camera with usable ISO to 1600 and great low-light / manual capabilities for it's size/price...
Attached Thumbnails First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0632.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0633.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0634.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0638.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0639.jpg  

First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0640.jpg   First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0641.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Members

Snow in Boston today....let's see if this x-drive works, we'll leave the RX330 at home....
Attached Thumbnails First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed --dscf0642.jpg  
Old 01-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i Silver Gray/Black, Sport, Prem., Logic 7, Cold Weather, Auto, M Aero package, Nav, Comfort Seats, IPod aux

wulff1-- congrats. It's great to see the M Aero on Silver Gray with the 123s! Hope you continue to enjoy your ride!

Quick Reply: First impressions after 100 miles - 530xi 6 speed -