E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The Logic 7 is great for a stock radio.... but that is not saying much.

I am used to very expensive aftermarket stereos in my previous cars, so the Logic 7 is a let-down... but I just have to live with it. I don't want to reduce the resale value of my car because I should be getting an M5 this year.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Very satisfied with my HiFi (US std) upgrade.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Logic7 is the best OEM sound system I've heard. Adding aftermarket components is difficult/expensive due to the MOST bus.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Members

I'll order it on the next E60 but the system needs more power.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

I am happy with standard audio system (US model). Too old to play loud music, so it doesn't make much difference to me.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

IMO L7 is pretty damn good, would like to know if BMW plan to add more DSP settings?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='221478' date='Jan 9 2006, 08:01 AM
Satisified by the L7. I would have liked larger subwoofers though. I want a bit more bass. Also there could have been more settings in the logic 7 room acoustics.
I agree, I would like to see more L7 presets plus some EQ presets for different types of music (rock, pop, classical etc). Can't think that this would be too difficult to do, particularly as I think the L7 in the 7 series does already offer more options than those available in the E60. Overall I am very happy with the L7/premium audio, it is the best stock system I've heard although I do hear very good things about the Mark Levinson options on the Lexus (but they cost big $$$).
Old 01-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I am happy with the stock sound system in the US, but...

thisis the one area that I do not like the i drive - because you can not upgrade the radio. On thing I hated about GM and liked about most import cars is that you could upgrade the stock sound system with whatever you wanted and it would look nice - like it was meant to fit there.

BMW pretty much removed any option to do this with the new radio through the i drive set up

Overall I like the system but have always dreamed of getting one of the aftermarket systems that had the screen that pops out for navigation or watching movies or whatever - oh well - such is the price of progress
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='221570' date='Jan 9 2006, 02:05 PM
Overall I like the system but have always dreamed of getting one of the aftermarket systems that had the screen that pops out for navigation or watching movies or whatever - oh well - such is the price of progress
Funny, but I'll bet there are people with those pop out screen aftermarket systems wishing they had a fully integrated system like the one in our cars...
Old 01-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Well.... the aftermarket audio industry has been dealing with this problem for several years now.

I remember when Ford introduced the new style Taurus years ago in the 1990s that had the round radio. Before that, nearly all car companies used the standard DIN style radios, which were easily removed and replaced. But the Ford had this round radio that meant aftermarket companies had to come up with trim pieces to fill in the gap.

I had a 1994 Acura Legend Coupe and it was awesome for aftermarket audio. It had a double DIN radio slot, large trunk, huge cavities in the doors for deep woofers, and was built very solid.

Check out the compression horns. (Image Dynamics CD2 Comp Horns) I had them painted to match the car's paint color.

And this is a pic of a 8" subwoofer installed in the door. Yes, 8 inch... the door was that deep. I could even roll the window down.

Then I got a Lexus RX300 and it had the climate controls and radio built into the same unit.... so the radio could not be removed. When I did the aftermarket system in that car, I left the factory radio alone and built the second stereo around it. I removed the entire center console and we built a new one out of fiberglass. I put a 6 disc changer in the armrest and a TV Navigation headunit, and a parametric EQ/preamp. I put the speakers in kickpods instead of the doors, and left all the factory radio gear alone. I actually had 2 separate working stereos in the car when I was done.

Now most car companies have designed radios that are unusual shapes and difficult to remove due to computerization. Even Honda stereos are hard to work around now, and traditionally Hondas were among the best aftermarket audio cars.

Quick Reply: Sound System