E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Somebody’s bumped my car while it was parked up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here?s the story?
I went into town on Saturday to do a bit of shopping. Most of the car parks in the town centre are a nightmare with narrow spaces and I don?t like leaving the car there as it?s bound to get the door dinged from the majority of people who don?t give a toss about there car or anyone else. So instead I park a 10min walk away at the university as their car park is pretty much empty on a weekend and they have CCTV.
I was in the town for 1.5hrs came back to my car, drove home and went into the house, just as I closed the front door I glanced back at the car only to see this?

-2009_1010bumperdamage0001.jpg

-2009_1010bumperdamage0002.jpg

-2009_1010bumperdamage0003.jpg

As you can imagine I wasn?t best pleased, in fact that is an understatement. Once I had carmed down I remembered that the car park had CCTV so I called up the university?s 24hr security office. I explained to the guy that my car had just been parked up in one of their car parks, I explained where I was parked and that I thought it was a blue car that had hit mine while it had been parked up. He said he would check the tapes and get back to me, to be honest I didn?t think he would call me back but he did. To my joy he confirmed that he had caught a blue Peugeot passing very close to the front of my car, and although he couldn?t say 100% that contact had been made he said it looked very close and that this was the only blue car to come anywhere near mine for the time I was parked. Result!! Or so I thought. He explained to me that I would need to contact his manager on Monday to get a copy of the tape and then I could go to the police with my evidence.
Pretty pleased with my self I hung up the phone, but then I though, well all I need is the reg number and I?ll just go straight to the police now. So I ring them back only to find out that because of the camera angle they didn?t get the cars reg number on film!!!!!! Therefore the evidence is pretty much useless to me!
I got him to check the other cameras on the car park and he said that the car hadn?t appeared on any of them.
So I?m back where I started now with a damaged car on not much more of an idea who did it. Admittedly the damage isn?t too bad but it?s still going to cost be a few hundred quid to get the bumper re-sprayed and it?s money I could do without having to spend putting right somebody else?s poor driving.
Apparently the reason they didn?t get the reg number is I was parked too close to the camera and therefore the only section on the car in view was the top 2 thirds as the camera was aimed further into the car park. At least I know to park further across next time.
The guy on the CCTV said that this car pulled into the space next to me, sat there for less than a minute and then drove off, clipping my car on the way out. What I can?t understand is what they were doing? They never even got out the car so it?s not like the film shows the person either. Do people have no morals these days?
Think I might try and touch up the damage myself with a repair paint stick as a temporary measure. It?s only through to the plastic is a few places and most of the marks should polish out. Then I can get it repainted properly in the spring when they stop gritting the roads over here. On the bright side the parking sensor seems to have survived the impact and there are no cracks in the bumper so I?m thinking it could have been much worse.
Still very annoying though.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Senior Members

i am sorry for the accident..

looks like just simple paint job
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Man and I thought you had something going. =( sorry to hear.

A similar thing happened to my cousins M3. it was side swiped by a fish delivery truck delivering to a market. She asked the market and they were able to catch the whole thing in progress... it showed the truck side swiping the car then he doesnt stop, swings around the block THEN stops to deliver the fish acting as if nothing happened... Eventually the delivery company paid for the damages.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Sorry to hear about the incident, and I hope it gets fixed quickly! At least it looks like a simple bumper fix!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Coversďż˝ from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Sorry about that. You may be able to correct more than you think. Let's hope.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

sorry to hear that bro...hope it all woks out...and you find the person who did it...good luck and keep us posted...
Old 10-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire

jesus that sucks
Old 10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Ouch, that does hurt just to look at it. Looks like minor paint damage though.. if thats any consolation. A good wash and buff could probably get the blue paint off. Hopefully a road rash kit from BMW can rectify the rest of the damage.

Either way.. glad it wasn't worse.. but it's still quite a nuisance.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Members

Terrible...sorry that it happened, but it could have been much worse..lots of aholes out there..
Old 10-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Insurance should cover it though? Especially since it's not your fault and you have video evidence.

Quick Reply: Somebody’s bumped my car while it was parked up!