E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='539995' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:38 PM
My condolences, that totally sucks. I am in favor of capital punishment for anybody who rips me off.

Question: I lived in the UK as a kid, US citizen for years now, WTF is with petty crime in the UK? I have relatives in the midlands and they say there are almost are no "good" neighborhoods anymore.

I have lived in the US for 40 years, driving for 30. I live in the suburbs North of Boston, not the middle of no where, and even worked in Boston for years and I have never (knock on wood) had my car broken into or had my wheels stolen.

You Brits need to beat the F*** out of some these guys...
The cause? Police. Or rather a lack of them. The ones we do have are only interested in an easy life, speeding motorists, that kind of thing. Oh and we're not allowed to beat the crap out of them - even if we catch them in our houses. We end up in jail if we do.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='539995' date='Mar 5 2008, 02:38 PM
My condolences, that totally sucks. I am in favor of capital punishment for anybody who rips me off.

Question: I lived in the UK as a kid, US citizen for years now, WTF is with petty crime in the UK? I have relatives in the midlands and they say there are almost are no "good" neighborhoods anymore.

I have lived in the US for 40 years, driving for 30. I live in the suburbs North of Boston, not the middle of no where, and even worked in Boston for years and I have never (knock on wood) had my car broken into or had my wheels stolen.

You Brits need to beat the F*** out of some these guys...
You cant do that - it would be unreasonable force and the police would arrest and prosecute you. It starts from School when kids know there is virtually no comeback - any physical contact tand the teacher is in trouble. You even need to give a weeks notice to parents for detention nowadays.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Contributors

All kidding aside, very sorry to hear this. The aggravation is the worst part. It takes years off of your life. Dont let it get the best of you.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

I am really sorry A year or so ago I was going to buy wheel locks from my local wheel/tire shop. The owner told me to save my money because he hadn't heard of anyone in Northern NJ having their wheels stolen for over 20 years.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

This is proving to such a headache for me. I'll tell you why.

1. The car is fully cover by comprehensive insurance. But they want me to use their own garage for the work. I said no I want my BMW dealer to do the work - which I'm allowed to do legally. This is where is starts getting complicated.

2. Call up BMW and they say that they are happy to do the work but the car needs to come into their garage. My insurer won't pay for the recovery of the vehicle because 'BMW are not on our authorised repairer list'. BMW can't recover it because its got no wheels on it so they can't take it anywhere.

3. BMW suggested that I call BMW Assist to recover the car. Great Idea, NOT. BMW Assist cannot recover a car with no wheels because its not a normal recovery. Customer will have to pay for Special Recovery.

4. BMW then suggest that in the circumstances I should use my insurers garage itself. Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Anyway, long story short, if you have not yet bought your secure wheel nuts DO IT NOW.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

How did the car get whereever it is now?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I watched a wheel shop remove a locking nut off a wheel when the owner lost a key. No wheel damage was done. They simply selected a socket that was big enough to fit in the opening and hammered it onto the locking nut until there was enough traction to spin off the socket with the nut inside. It took 5 minutes for all four wheels.

I feel your pain and wish you well.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='540034' date='Mar 5 2008, 04:14 PM
How did the car get whereever it is now?
Its still sitting on my driveway at the moment. But I guess the recovery company will put some wheels on it and take it away. But because I have agreed to use the insurers body shop they will pay for this 'Special Recovery Job'.

BMW stated that they would not allow me or any of their staff to drive that car without it being examined in the workshop. The reason being, they can't tell what damage has been caused to the brakes or the suspension in the act.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='540033' date='Mar 5 2008, 05:12 PM
This is proving to such a headache for me. I'll tell you why.

1. The car is fully cover by comprehensive insurance. But they want me to use their own garage for the work. I said no I want my BMW dealer to do the work - which I'm allowed to do legally. This is where is starts getting complicated.

2. Call up BMW and they say that they are happy to do the work but the car needs to come into their garage. My insurer won't pay for the recovery of the vehicle because 'BMW are not on our authorised repairer list'. BMW can't recover it because its got no wheels on it so they can't take it anywhere.

3. BMW suggested that I call BMW Assist to recover the car. Great Idea, NOT. BMW Assist cannot recover a car with no wheels because its not a normal recovery. Customer will have to pay for Special Recovery.

4. BMW then suggest that in the circumstances I should use my insurers garage itself. Couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Anyway, long story short, if you have not yet bought your secure wheel nuts DO IT NOW.
Bruce, sorry to hear about all this trouble.

I had a similar experience years ago with my E46. My insurer informed me I had to go to one of their "authorised" third party repairers or pay an excess if I wanted to go to BMW. Since then I insure my BMW's at BMW Top Cover insurance, it's a couple hundred euros extra a year but BMW WILL recover your car under ANY circumstance ANYWHERE and take it to the closest BMW dealer. You will appreciate their service.

I guess you don't have a winter setup. Isn't any member here closeby to help Bruce out ?

Worst comes to worst - you'll have to use the third party repairer, anyway it's just the wheels they're gonna replace - you should be fine.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

sorry to hear about your loss bruce, i tell you those locks dont help much it only takes an extra 20-30 secs to take them off

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night