E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Any clue as to how they jack the car up without the alarm going off? I remember when I tried to change the wheels myself it went off on me. The guys did know what they were doing.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Sorry to hear about the loss, Bruce. It is worrying too that they were able to get your car jacked up without the alarm going off.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

That is disgusting Bruce. I can feel for how gutted you are!

I realise this might be seen as shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted but I invested in a set of THESE when it was last reported on this very forum that the 172's were being targeted in the London area and other parts of the UK. Worth every penny I reckon. I use one on each wheel along with the obviously useless BMW own brand. You could even buy two sets and use 2 on each wheel to be doubly sure.

Hope you get the insurance sorted quickly.

Marc
Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

If they want to steal your wheels, they are gonna steal them. No wheel lock can stop a determined thief, just maybe slow them down.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='539942' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:30 AM
If they want to steal your wheels, they are gonna steal them. No wheel lock can stop a determined thief, just maybe slow them down.
I know, it's a s#%t state of affairs we live in eh? But I figure it's more of a deterrent. If my car is sitting next a non-McGard'ed car then they'll more than likely ignore mine and target his. I've read in many reviews of the McGard's that they are pretty difficult to remove without some kind of damage to the wheel.

Marc
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Sorry to hear about what happened Bruce
Really sounds like professionals at work here. If you think about the knowledge you have gained / have access to here in the forum, it does not surprise me that this kind of thing can happen. The only positive I can think of in this bad situation is that they did a clean job (?) and did not unnecessarily cause further damage to your vehicle.

Hope you get things sorted swiftly...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

That's $hit, sorry to hear Bruce.
I'm with Marc on the McGuards - use on both my sets Summer & Winter. More a delaying tactic though I suspect.
Re tilt sensor - perhaps they used 2 jacks, one front one back and coordinated the lift?
Thought about the replacements - 172s again or time for a change?
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Members

I feel for you Bruce, I've had 2 whole cars nicked from home, horrible feeling.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

WTF!!?? I can feel your pain Bruce and sorry to hear about that

How they manage to take the wheels off with the locking wheel nuts on?? Did you hear any drilling or anything?
And Bmw alarm is sucks, it won't go on even if you jump on the car

I will keep my eye on Ebay , and will let know if i see any suspicious.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I've just ordered two sets of the McGard Ultra (SL) Wheel Locks. Don't know why I've ignored that till date.

Quick Reply: Some idiots stole my 172M 19" wheels last night