E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Smooth Stops... Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by octee' post='356011' date='Nov 15 2006, 12:40 AM
That's not the problem at all... believe me.. it happens when you're driving very slow...
maybe it diffrent from a 545 and a 525
Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i auto, PDC, Bluetooth, Sunroof, RFT, Towbar AND 2005 645ci Convertible auto, PDC, Bluetooth, RFT,Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Tv function, Navigation, CIP v23.02, Aux input, Logic7 Hi fi, CD changer, front seat heating and lumbar support, lights package, Style 121 19" tyres

Hi

I had the same problem with my BMW 645.
I have just picked it up from my local BMW dealer and the problem has improved dramatically.
I asked the technician what he did to the car and his answer was that he "flashed the gearbox" with the latest software update.(He said the car is now running cip23.2 which he received from BMW on monday).

The car is now much easier to stop smoothly. I've also noticed that my petrol consumption has dropped from and average of 19.5l per 100km to an average of 17l per 100km.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by amadeus00' post='355624' date='Nov 13 2006, 03:05 PM
Is it me or is it my 545 tranny that's driving me nuts. I can't come to a smooth stop without the car stuttering or stopping abruptly at the very last second. I know we have big brakes with lots of stopping power but comeon, this is also a luxury car! I ease off of the brake just before coming to a complete stop, around 3mph or less. The car will stutter when shifting into first thus makes the last feet of travel not smooth. The brakes are not very ease to let off without giving you that last jolt. With the stuttering, it makes it impossible.

Is there something wrong with my car? I can do the smooth stop on any car except mine. Very annoying.
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

I would appreciate a contact as well, it's very frustrating. We appreciate that you are on this board and are willing to look into the situation for us.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Saphire Black on Dakota Black with Anthracite Trim, 6-spd manual, Sport Pkg, HUD, Active Steering, Ipod Connect...

easy solution... next time order the manual transmission
Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Yeah that's what my husband says.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Members

I've attached the service bulletin that I think what you are referring to. I had the car in a couple of weeks ago to resolve this issue. The service departm upgraded to CIP 23.02 based on a communication from a PUMA request. This resolved the transmission downshifting and "slam effect" that has been referred to.

This upgrade caused my "eyebrows" to not function. Talked to the service advisor and was told this was a known issue and will be corrected in the next upgrade. Also, the display changes without my having to do anything with the "accept". Not sure if this was related to the software upgrade or the fact that their system showed that I had to have a TCU replaced for BMW assist.

I can deal without the "eyebrows" for now until the next upgrade. The issue with the transmission was very annoying.

'05 545i 4/05

SI B 24 03 05
Automatic Transmission
JUNE 2005
Technical Service
SUBJECT
Harsh 2-1 Downshift
MODEL
E60 (545i); E63/64 645(Ci/Cic) with 6HP26 up to 04/05
SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

^ An excessively harsh 2-1 downshift when decelerating to a stop, or
^ Transmission "bangs" into gear when accelerating from a full or a "rolling" stop (vehicle did not come to a complete stop).

CAUSE
EGS software.
CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, reprogram/recode complete vehicle using SSS with CIP on-line update 17.01, or higher.
Important: Transmission temperature must remain below 50 deg C and trans shifter must be placed in P position prior to the start of CIP) programming.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

Am intrigued by this thread...

Sounds like you guys have identified two issues - (a) sticky brakes when coming to a full halt and (b) transmission slam.

My car doesn't suffer from (b), thanks to the simple expedient that the gearbox never ever selects first gear without manual override.

It does suffer from (a) though, despite supposedly having the newfangled software that was supposed to stop it post-Sep 2005 build. My old 2004 530iSE didn't suffer to the same degree - I can only assume it's a question of the car's weight and rotor/caliper size.

Any of you guys manage to resolve the issue on your cars?
Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

I have the same exact problem on my 2006 525i... I have to take the dealer (Hunterdon, NJ) soon... but they dont give appt. untill like 2 weeks, which is a looong time.

BMW NA Customer Relations
-- BMW NA person above, could you pls include me too.. email: pmendu@gmail.com. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2007, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by coolguy' post='383773' date='Jan 26 2007, 02:13 PM
I have the same exact problem on my 2006 525i... I have to take the dealer (Hunterdon, NJ) soon... but they dont give appt. untill like 2 weeks, which is a looong time.

BMW NA Customer Relations
-- BMW NA person above, could you pls include me too.. email: pmendu@gmail.com. Thank you!
Have you had the car in yet for the latest CIP software (24.02, as I understand)? If so, did it fix the tranny slam?

I'm going crazy trying to convince my dealer that the software update could fix my issue, but I got the "adaptive transmission" BS and was told to drive it a few more days. The worst part is that I made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that this was a known issue in these cars and to make absolutely sure that the Service guys update the CIP BEFORE I took delivery last week. Naturally, it wasn't done and now I want to be sure it fixes the problem before I proceed to tear some tech a new one.

Quick Reply: Smooth Stops... Is it possible?