E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG vs. Craptronic

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I have had my 545i SMG for 1/2 year now and, although I love SMG, I have to admit that I was never 100% convinced I had made the right choice.

My car is in for repairs (again...) and I got a 530i with steptronic as a loaner.

About 5 min into driving it, I was missing the SMG sooooo much. This is the first time I had a real comparison - I want my SMG back right now!
If you can - get the SMG!!!!!!!!

Jochen
Old 02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Guest_thomas_*

no doubt smg in the bmw 545 is the best you can do to yourself, never anything else in the future!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Members

These are silly comparisons, as the SMG is essentially a manual tranny and meant to be driven as one (sans clutch pedal). The Steptronic is an automatic tranny and meant to be driven as one. Don't compare Steptronic in it's "manual" mode, since it's not even close or meant to be.

I could have gotten the SMG but I didn't want to! There! Who says the SMG is the "best"? It's all user preference.

If you drive your SMG in auto mode then it's also crap compared to the Steptronic. I know plenty of people who regret getting the SMG just for this reason. They thought that they could drive it just fine and smooth in auto mode like an automatic (Steptronic) only to be let down.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 7 2005, 06:54 PM
These are silly comparisons, as the SMG is essentially a manual tranny and meant to be driven as one (sans clutch pedal). The Steptronic is an automatic tranny and meant to be driven as one. Don't compare Steptronic in it's "manual" mode, since it's not even close or meant to be.

I could have gotten the SMG but I didn't want to! There! Who says the SMG is the "best"? It's all user preference.

If you drive your SMG in auto mode then it's also crap compared to the Steptronic. I know plenty of people who regret getting the SMG just for this reason. They thought that they could drive it just fine and smooth in auto mode like an automatic (Steptronic) only to be let down.
[snapback]87634[/snapback]
I was just trying to express my own personal feelings......sorry for being silly.

Jochen
Old 02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 7 2005, 11:54 PM

[snapback]87634[/snapback]
I couldn't agree more with you!
When I read the title and the first post I was so mad that I decided to not reply here.

You said it perfectly right , urbo! Thanks!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Feb 7 2005, 04:56 PM
I was just trying to express my own personal feelings......sorry for being silly.

Jochen
I got your back Doc.

I?ve owned over a dozen bimmer?s w/ steptronic and one stick shift. SMG is easily the best tranny. Steptronic is good, but SMG is excellent. There!! That?s my expert BMW opinion.

beewang
Old 02-07-2005, 02:10 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Craptronic. That's low! I'm sure someone here can make up condescending words for SMG too...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Contributors

I wrote this post after coming home from a one hour drive with the 530 i STEPtronic and was simply happy to finally have confirmation that I did the right thing with the SMG and wated to add to the frequent discussions on this board about the various transmission options.

Please remove the post from the board if possible and don't worry, I will try not to post here again anytime soon.

Although this is (was) the "Land of the Free", obviously the opininion that an individual expresses does not count or is respected.

If you took offense by "Craptronic", I apologize - it is a word I have used as a generic word for automatic transmissions for may years.

Jochen
Old 02-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Feb 7 2005, 11:11 PM
If you took offense by "Craptronic", I apologize - it is a word I have used as a generic word for automatic transmissions for may years.
Whatever... They're both great Just depends what turns you on
Old 02-07-2005, 02:31 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by drjochen' date='Feb 8 2005, 12:11 AM
I wrote this post after coming home from a one hour drive with the 530 i STEPtronic and was simply happy to finally have confirmation that I did the right thing with the SMG and wated to add to the frequent discussions on this board about the various transmission options.

Please remove the post from the board if possible and don't worry, I will try not to post here again anytime soon.

Although this is (was) the "Land of the Free", obviously the opininion that an individual expresses does not count or is respected.

Jochen
[snapback]87644[/snapback]
I must say that I my first reaction was silly, no reason for my to be that touchy!

I've never tried a SMG E60. I'm sure it's great. Wounder why it's not available for the diesels, mayby not sporty enough. (the engine...)

Quick Reply: SMG vs. Craptronic