E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMG question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay... I thought I was set on the manual but now I'm thinking more about SMG. Two things (other than over complication) that bother me. I don't like the idea of having to press the brake to shift out of neutral. I understand that it's a `feature' I'll have to live with and to be honest it's not that big of a deal. Just need to change an old habit. But the question I have has to do with parking. How do, or can you, park and leave the transmission in gear on the SMG? Or are you in neutral when you park and turn off the car?
Old 03-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

With SMG you can park with the shifter in any position (R, D, or N)... it makes no difference. The only thing about parking in N is.... the car will chime at you when you open the door, to warn you about the potential for rolling.

Just always park with the hand brake, and you'll be fine.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='251415' date='Mar 7 2006, 10:09 PM
With SMG you can park with the shifter in any position (R, D, or N)... it makes no difference. The only thing about parking in N is.... the car will chime at you when you open the door, to warn you about the potential for rolling.

Just always park with the hand brake, and you'll be fine.
But it does make a difference -- if you park it in D, it's like parking a manual in first. If you park it in R, it's like parking a manual in reverse and if you park it in N, it's like parking a manual in neutral. That's precisely why the car warns you if you park it in N because there's a danger of the car rolling off if you don't set the brake.

Using the hand brake is clearly a good habit to be in and yes, it's best to use it no matter how you park the car...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Okay... good to know. I wasn't sure reading up on it. It looked like it would be in N when you parked. I always use both hand brake and keep the car in 1st. I don't trust the hand brake alone. I've seen what happens when it fails.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

ImolaRedM, have you read the SMG FAQ here as well as any/all linked threads inside?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2106

If you have, great. If you have not, you owe it to yourself to read everything there to help you make a decision that is right for you...
Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='251426' date='Mar 7 2006, 10:26 PM
ImolaRedM, have you read the SMG FAQ here as well as any/all linked threads inside?

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2106

If you have, great. If you have not, you owe it to yourself to read everything there to help you make a decision that is right for you...
Yes... I've been reading it. I'm a long time manual transmission driver and the one BMW auto I picked up years ago made me wish I got a manual. But I might be willing to give the SMG a try. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='251419' date='Mar 7 2006, 07:13 PM
But it does make a difference -- if you park it in D, it's like parking a manual in first. If you park it in R, it's like parking a manual in reverse and if you park it in N, it's like parking a manual in neutral. That's precisely why the car warns you if you park it in N because there's a danger of the car rolling off if you don't set the brake.

Using the hand brake is clearly a good habit to be in and yes, it's best to use it no matter how you park the car...

Bingo! Rudy is right. SMG does leave the car in gear when you leave it in D or R.

In D or D1 it will be be in first gear and in R it will be in reverse.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='251429' date='Mar 7 2006, 07:35 PM
But I might be willing to give the SMG a try. Thanks for the info.

I would suggest giving SMG a try. Most people who know how to drive a manual and understand the concept have not regretted getting a SMG. Its an awesome transmission. Dont listen to that its jerky blah blah blah BS. Its not. Really... its not. Theres a learning curve, yes, but once you accomplish that it'll be nice and smooth. and fun too.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

SMG is INCREDIBLE, GET IT!!!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='251419' date='Mar 7 2006, 10:13 PM

My car also rolls when I park it in D. It stays putr for ~ 20 min or so and the starts to move.
I found this out the hard way when I parked on my driveway without the parking brake set (yeah, I know, stupied me...). Suddenly, I found my car at the bottom of the driveway. I tried it again and it stays put for a while and then just moves...

Quick Reply: SMG question