E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Side mirrors not going back to original position after tilting down

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 325i Touring E60 530i Sedan

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='657838' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:58 AM
The reality is, at any level this whol issue isn't a big deal to me. Even if I have to readjust the right mirror slightly every few days, it takes a few seconds. Big deal. Actually, in some ways the car does to much for me anyway.... I'm still not sure I want active cruise control making my decisions, and would have liked it better if I had at least the option of disabling the "active" part of it.

Cal
On the whole, it's not a big issue. More like an annoyance. BUT it could possibly cause an accident if say, you were to switch lanes or merging on a dark rainy night and you can't see or didn't see the vehicle coming up on your side It only takes one incidence at the most inopportune time...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by patb23' post='657520' date='Aug 29 2008, 08:30 PM
Had the same thing happen with mine. Brought it to the dealer since it is still under warranty. They couldn't recreate the problem, I had to show them. They finally saw what I was talking about. I think I had it at the dealer a week because when they finally decided on what to do they had to order a whole new motor and housing. This fixed the issue for a couple of months, but the issue has returned. Will have them fix it again when I bring it back for the scheduled maintenance.
Other people have had hardware replaced and the issue has not disappeared. Leads me to believe it is a software bug more than anything. I just got my progman updated. We'll see if the issue is gone or not. I'm not holding my breath...
Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by jcatral14' post='658043' date='Aug 30 2008, 02:01 PM
On the whole, it's not a big issue. More like an annoyance. BUT it could possibly cause an accident if say, you were to switch lanes or merging on a dark rainy night and you can't see or didn't see the vehicle coming up on your side It only takes one incidence at the most inopportune time...
But.... don't you check your mirrors when you first get into the car? And, in my car at least, the amount of movement inward and upward from my preferred set point is minor, and is not such that what you describe would happen. Anyway, just check your mirrors, and adjust it if necessary - takes about 1.5 seconds.

Cal
Old 08-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 535d M Sport

I have this problem too
The mirror seems to "stray" outwards and downwards to how I had it set. The weird thing is though this very occasionally happens to the driver side mirror too
Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by jcatral14' post='658046' date='Aug 30 2008, 02:03 PM
Other people have had hardware replaced and the issue has not disappeared. Leads me to believe it is a software bug more than anything. I just got my progman updated. We'll see if the issue is gone or not. I'm not holding my breath...
I'd bet it's the imprecision of the plastic mechanicals driven by the servo inside the mirror. I doubt its software, just imperfect mechanical design and parts.

Cal
Old 08-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='658071' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:10 PM
But.... don't you check your mirrors when you first get into the car? And, in my car at least, the amount of movement inward and upward from my preferred set point is minor, and is not such that what you describe would happen. Anyway, just check your mirrors, and adjust it if necessary - takes about 1.5 seconds.

Cal
I do but sometimes forget to. Like I said it's an annoyance. It shouldn't move.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

My passenger mirror also always needs adjusting. I figure it is because I always use the auto-fold feature when I park. Not hard to put back as I just hit the memory butting on my seat....
Old 08-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='658074' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:12 PM
I'd bet it's the imprecision of the plastic mechanicals driven by the servo inside the mirror. I doubt its software, just imperfect mechanical design and parts.

Cal
I don't think it's hardware -- if the problem had something to do with imprecise mechanicals and or servo motors, when the memory button is pressed, the mirror wouldn't return precisely to the stored postition. I think this is more of a software issue but we'll need more repair data from others to learn what's going on here...
Old 08-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Senior Members

Rudy, agreed if that's verified behavior. I hadn't tried it, but will next time the mirror is out of adjustment. I didn't know (maybe didn't read) that some have seen the memory button return the mirror to precisely the set point.
Cal
Old 09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Members

Just an update.
It seems to be fixed
I have not had to readjust for a while now. I'm just not sure what "fixed" it though whether it was the progman update (30.0.2) or the fact that I deactivated the "last seat position" option on iDrive

Quick Reply: Side mirrors not going back to original position after tilting down