E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon - How to clear it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

I'm on vacation, two days away from home. I've searched the forum a little from a McDonald's parking lot and not found the answer, so I'm reaching out to forum members to help me out here.

I have an 07 550i. I have a yellow "service engine soon" lamp on the dash because I'm 1300 miles overdue for an oil change (which isn't really accurate because I had it changed 3k ago but didn't have the thingy reset).

Can someone point me to a link or provide me with step by step instructions for clearing this code, or must I take it to a dealer?

Thanks!

-Randall
Old 10-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

We got into our hotel tonight and I figured out how to reset the oil interval with the odometer button... but the "service engine soon" yellow lamp is still on. Any guesses as to why it didn't go out? All systems are green and OK now. Hmmmm....
Old 10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Service engine soon is related to the emissions control system. Sometimes, it can be triggered by a bad seal on the gas cap. Try removing and relocking the gas filler cap. Otherwise, you might have an issue with some other emissions component, and a service appt is necessary. But, you can still drive the car, even 1,300 miles home, since it is really just an emissions control problem.