E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Service Bulletin question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

So I brought my car in the other day (Eastbay BMW) to have some brake work done, and I decided to have them fix the rattling noises I hear coming from the front door panels. Through our forum, I found an SIB (51 02 05) that identifies the problem as a rattling noise coming from the door frame area. Well, they couldn't replicate the noise so they didn't fix it. Even when I drove with them I couldn't get it to make the noise. Oddly enough, as I was going home, the noises came back stronger than ever. My question is, is it true they won't fix it if they can't duplicate the sound? I thought the SIBs were our tickets to getting things fixed with no question.

Thanks ya'll!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributors

First issue for you. You should try to wipe the seals with a good "goo" solvent remover. Most of us have found the seals as causing the problem. It has not exactly resolved my problem, but it has for others.

Second, you are right. They should check it if you complain. They are morons if they don't because you are guaranteed to rate them low on the surveys and they still will have to solve the problem when you return the next time.

Some BMW dealers do not understand things as well as others. That is why you will probably buy your next BMW from someone else.

Best regards,
Old 10-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Generally they are, you complain about something covered in the SIB and they fix it. But if the dealer can't replicate it, I'm not surprised they refused to fix. Unfortunately you'll just have to catch the noise with the service person in the car...
Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='485671' date='Oct 24 2007, 04:42 PM
First issue for you. You should try to wipe the seals with a good "goo" solvent remover. Most of us have found the seals as causing the problem. It has not exactly resolved my problem, but it has for others.

Second, you are right. They should check it if you complain. They are morons if they don't because you are guaranteed to rate them low on the surveys and they still will have to solve the problem when you return the next time.

Some BMW dealers do not understand things as well as others. That is why you will probably buy your next BMW from someone else.

Best regards,

I think he said they checked it, but couldn't replicate it. I think thats the difference between a recall where they have to fix regardless, and a service bulletin that just highlights a common problem.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 Jet Black Once upon a time it had chrome wheels... 'til i joined this forum :)

Thanks guys....

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='485671
Generally they are, you complain about something covered in the SIB and they fix it. But if the dealer can't replicate it, I'm not surprised they refused to fix. Unfortunately you'll just have to catch the noise with the service person in the car...
Thanks, but with my luck, me trying to dulicate the sound with a technician ain't gonna happen. Its a conspiracy!

Originally Posted by Veight' post='485682' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:08 PM
I think he said they checked it, but couldn't replicate it. I think thats the difference between a recall where they have to fix regardless, and a service bulletin that just highlights a common problem.
Thanks, makes sense, I just wanted to get everything fixed before the warranty expires after this month. Oh well.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Thanks, makes sense, I just wanted to get everything fixed before the warranty expires after this month. Oh well.
[/quote]

If your warranty is expiring, they should definitely honor the SIB. I would get something in writing from them showing that you complained before the warranty period, but they did not react.
Then, if you have the problem again, you can state that they did not fix it properly when the car was under warranty.

A good dealer will drive in the car with you to allow you to replicate the problem for them. As you are entering a period where you may buy a new BMW in the next few years, they should be nicer.

My crackling noise was like yours. It went away at first, but now it is back.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monacobmw' post='485708' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:57 PM
If your warranty is expiring, they should definitely honor the SIB. I would get something in writing from them showing that you complained before the warranty period, but they did not react.
Then, if you have the problem again, you can state that they did not fix it properly when the car was under warranty.

A good dealer will drive in the car with you to allow you to replicate the problem for them. As you are entering a period where you may buy a new BMW in the next few years, they should be nicer.

My crackling noise was like yours. It went away at first, but now it is back.
Thanks Monaco, I will try to get that stuff in writing. I brought the car back today after I noticed some deep scratches on the steering wheel when they replaced the buttons.