E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

series 7 injectors and misfires . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:25 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Default series 7 injectors and misfires . . . . .

I all - thanks in advance. I've done lots of digging and don't know which way to go.

I've got a 2010 535ix w/63,000 miles on it. It had the HPFP done, but they didn't touch the injectors.

Started getting lumpy cold start and it's throwing a misfire in 1 and 3. It went into limp mode and i read the faults and reset it. car is out of limp mode and not re-throwing the codes, but its idle is lumpy. warmed it up and took if for a spin - let it loose and it was great. I know i need to do something. Ultimately you'd do all spark plugs, coils, and injectors. (it was walnut blasted so i know that's not it).

I figure i'd start off cheap and bought 3 OEM bosch plugs as i'd figure I'd start there, even though I have that feeling it's the injectors. When i opened it up today I saw that they're 7 series injectors . . . . never did get to change out the spark plugs as my 14m was too think - thought i'd get away without ordering the special one. Kobalt brand doesn't work despite what i've read.

so, if i have to do the injectors do i
1. wait for the series 11+ to become avail on rock auto and do all 6?
1a. buy 3 series 11 injectors and do 1 through 3, leaving 4, 5, 6 as the old 7 series.
2. buy the $80 series 9's that are avail on ebay and replace them as they go bad
3. buy the $80 series 9's that are on ebay and just do all six since it'll be less than $600?
4. throw that techron that's been sitting in my backseat into the tank . . . . i've read you want to do an oil change right after, and i just did mine a month ago.

I'm torn . . . . some folks have had their early injectors forever and it's been fine. are the later series worth the extra cash? and when will rock auto have them back in stock?

Also - weren't the series 7's recalled?

is it possible to but a $23 inpa DCAN cable on amazon or do i have to but the $100 ones? From what i gather as long as the drivers work i can download the software to program the new injectors.

Amazon.com : INPA K+CAN K+DCAN Car Diagnostic tool Cable OBD USB Interface for BMW R56 E87 E93 E70 : Vehicle Electronics : Car Electronics Amazon.com : INPA K+CAN K+DCAN Car Diagnostic tool Cable OBD USB Interface for BMW R56 E87 E93 E70 : Vehicle Electronics : Car Electronics

hanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

If you want to stay cheap get some seafoam and add half to a full tank and see what you get. The INPA cable should be fine. I bought two off of ebay for $40 and ive had them for three years now with no issues. Just make sure the one you get have good reviews. Go to amazon the reviews will be better.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: looking for 2010 535i msport

Originally Posted by harley164
I all - thanks in advance. I've done lots of digging and don't know which way to go.

I've got a 2010 535ix w/63,000 miles on it. It had the HPFP done, but they didn't touch the injectors.

Started getting lumpy cold start and it's throwing a misfire in 1 and 3. It went into limp mode and i read the faults and reset it. car is out of limp mode and not re-throwing the codes, but its idle is lumpy. warmed it up and took if for a spin - let it loose and it was great. I know i need to do something. Ultimately you'd do all spark plugs, coils, and injectors. (it was walnut blasted so i know that's not it).

I figure i'd start off cheap and bought 3 OEM bosch plugs as i'd figure I'd start there, even though I have that feeling it's the injectors. When i opened it up today I saw that they're 7 series injectors . . . . never did get to change out the spark plugs as my 14m was too think - thought i'd get away without ordering the special one. Kobalt brand doesn't work despite what i've read.

so, if i have to do the injectors do i
1. wait for the series 11+ to become avail on rock auto and do all 6?
1a. buy 3 series 11 injectors and do 1 through 3, leaving 4, 5, 6 as the old 7 series.
2. buy the $80 series 9's that are avail on ebay and replace them as they go bad
3. buy the $80 series 9's that are on ebay and just do all six since it'll be less than $600?
4. throw that techron that's been sitting in my backseat into the tank . . . . i've read you want to do an oil change right after, and i just did mine a month ago.

I'm torn . . . . some folks have had their early injectors forever and it's been fine. are the later series worth the extra cash? and when will rock auto have them back in stock?

Also - weren't the series 7's recalled?

is it possible to but a $23 inpa DCAN cable on amazon or do i have to but the $100 ones? From what i gather as long as the drivers work i can download the software to program the new injectors.

Amazon.com : INPA K+CAN K+DCAN Car Diagnostic tool Cable OBD USB Interface for BMW R56 E87 E93 E70 : Vehicle Electronics : Car Electronics

hanks in advance for your help.
I would take it to the dealer. The injectors have apparently been warrantied to 100 or 120k. With mine I had a slight misfire that was barely noticeable and no codes, but6whe they looked at my plugs they were all wet so the changed out the index 9 I think, to index 12. This was covered under cpo, but with the new plug warranty and hpfp warranty you should be able to get these covered. Since you are handy with a wrench a quick check of your plugs can point you in the right direction.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:01 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

Go to the dealer. They replaced all 6 of mine for no charge. I also have a 2010 535 with similar mileage.

New N54 injector warranty extension for 2010 cars - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Old 02-01-2016, 04:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535

so i called the dealer the other day after writing this post . . . . .

and he told me about the injector warranty up to 100k or so.

this is actually pretty awesome, however, I cleared my misfire codes before and now i'm waiting for them to happen again. he basically said that he'd need the codes to be there for it to be under warranty.

so now my plan is to drive around until it throws a code again. until then - some lumpy cold start idles for a while.

thanks so much.