E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensitivity of the auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jun 8 2005, 10:53 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:37 PM']I really wish BMW would give us the adaptive function even if we turn on the light manually.
[snapback]137625[/snapback]
Why would that matter? Since the automatic sensor isn't reliable, I just use the lights manually by switching them from off to auto when I want the lights on. Are you saying that if you do that the lights won't come on even if it's dark? (If it's raining or overcast, the adaptive lights don't really do much anyway so if I have to get the lights to come on by switching to the right, that works just fine...)
[snapback]137833[/snapback]
[/quote]

Because if I use the normal "on", I will always remember to turn it off. The chime will make sure I do that. The auto will just turn itself off and I will forget to switch it to "off". Therefore, if I leave in auto, just like I am doing now, the light will come on during broad day light without me noticing it. Sure, the green light tell you that the lights are on, but it's not in a very conspicuous place.

Another thing, if I use manual on to turn the light on during light rain and overcasted situation, and then it turns dark (when adaptive function do help visibility), one will always forget to switch from "on" to "auto". So why not adaptive on both setting?

The lack of adaptive function in manual mode is fine; only if the sensor were reliable. I think BMW designed the system with this optimistic assumption.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think you're right. For me, it's not a big deal and I generally remember to turn the lights off manually, no matter how I turned them on. Also, if I find myself in manual mode and the adaptives aren't working, it's no big deal to flip it over to auto.

I think BMW will eventually get it right and then the car will be working as designed. Right now, we're all just dealing with a workaround/band-aid solution...
Old 06-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 8 2005, 09:53 AM
Kscarrol,

Try this next time and see if your lights will stay on: Find a shady street with trees or buildings on its sides, and go through it.? The light should come up when the car is in the shaded part, and turn off on the sunny part.? After a series of on and off, you headlights will settle in permanently on mode.? You can turn it off and put it back to auto, but it will still be on, under any kind of light.? You have to turn off your car for it to reset.

Let us know if you still don't have this problem.
[snapback]137555[/snapback]

You are correct ! I drive through a bunch of overpasses on my way home from work everyday. The auto light will come on through the under pass and then go off. It repeats itself several times and then stay on forever until I turn off the car. This is a bug in the software ....
Old 06-10-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 9 2005, 09:00 AM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Jun 8 2005, 10:53 PM'][quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:37 PM']I really wish BMW would give us the adaptive function even if we turn on the light manually.
[snapback]137625[/snapback]
Why would that matter? Since the automatic sensor isn't reliable, I just use the lights manually by switching them from off to auto when I want the lights on. Are you saying that if you do that the lights won't come on even if it's dark? (If it's raining or overcast, the adaptive lights don't really do much anyway so if I have to get the lights to come on by switching to the right, that works just fine...)
[snapback]137833[/snapback]
[/quote]

Because if I use the normal "on", I will always remember to turn it off. The chime will make sure I do that. The auto will just turn itself off and I will forget to switch it to "off". Therefore, if I leave in auto, just like I am doing now, the light will come on during broad day light without me noticing it. Sure, the green light tell you that the lights are on, but it's not in a very conspicuous place.

Another thing, if I use manual on to turn the light on during light rain and overcasted situation, and then it turns dark (when adaptive function do help visibility), one will always forget to switch from "on" to "auto". So why not adaptive on both setting?

The lack of adaptive function in manual mode is fine; only if the sensor were reliable. I think BMW designed the system with this optimistic assumption.
[snapback]137913[/snapback]
[/quote]
It really sounds to me like you have a bad sensor. I apologize if I missed you saying you had it changed or not. If a class (E60) problem, we would not see so many folks that have a near normal experience. I have a GM product (sorry guys - its a pickup and BMW does not make one - yet) with auto light sensor and it is nearly identical to my 6er set at normal sensitivity.