E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensitivity of the auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

Sango, are you sure you are not talking about DRL?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Members

hmm....sorry for my english but i only know when i start engine lights go ON ( xenons ) and when i turn off engine light is OFF. BUT my light is set on AUTO. Do you think on small light?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 8 2005, 11:08 AM
Repeated cycles is what triggers the light to be on all the time.

My lights would come on inside the garage as I start the car. Once I pull out, the light would go off. Then, I pass through a street full of trees, I notice the green light come on and off about 3 times due to shade/sun light transitions. Finally, the light will be permanently on.?

Depending on your sensitivity setting, make sure that the shadow is dark enough to turn your lights off, in order to make this experiment work.?

I also notice the same pattern with the 7 series.
[snapback]137610[/snapback]
Well maybe the cycling was not quick enough, but over the course of my 20 minute drive home this evening, my lights came on at least three times that I noticed and then went off every time. First in the parking garage, then in under the overpass I mentioned previously and finally as I passed down an oak tree lined street. They did not stay on after the last cycle, went off as advertised after coming out from under the trees. Maybe it's that fourth cycle. I'll keep trying to see
Old 06-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:27 AM
Actually....? the headlights were not sensitive enough.

The sensor is a light sensor....? so more sensitive makes the headlights remain off in brighter ambient light.

Even if the dealer adjusts your sensitivity to the highest setting, the lights still come on in broad daylight.
[snapback]137510[/snapback]
I can see that I'm not the only one that is not satisfied with the Auto Headlights.When I had the 16.2 upgrade they tried to adjust the Auto Headlights to come on when it got later in the day and not when it was BRIGHT SUN LIGHT Without any success. The shop foremam gave me a bulliten from BMW explaining about the operation of the Auto Headlights and how they can be adjusted and how they function. I tried scanning it into the post without any success because some of the printing is in blue. Sorry.
cheers
vern
Old 06-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

bceverly, do you have the aux input installed?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:37 PM
I really wish BMW would give us the adaptive function even if we turn on the light manually.
[snapback]137625[/snapback]
Why would that matter? Since the automatic sensor isn't reliable, I just use the lights manually by switching them from off to auto when I want the lights on. Are you saying that if you do that the lights won't come on even if it's dark? (If it's raining or overcast, the adaptive lights don't really do much anyway so if I have to get the lights to come on by switching to the right, that works just fine...)
Old 06-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by bmw525i' date='Jun 8 2005, 01:15 PM
My lights worked well before. But ever since I got the 16.2 upgrade, my lights only come on in the garage or if it gets really dark outside. It seems to me that the lights are more programmed to work on a specific time rather than the light sensitivity. My lights will turn on in the evening, doesn't matter how dark or light it is outide but in the afternoons or morning, they won't come on.?
[snapback]137614[/snapback]
I've noticed that too. They seem to be time programmed in addition to light sensitive. Any way to adjust this?
Old 06-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I do not think they are time programmed. They work after CIP16.1 just fine as described by kscarrol. If they are being stubborn at dusk and not coming on, you have two options.
1. Switch them on (turn switch to far right)
2. Shhhh.......turn on fog lights (woe betide yee) This actions overrides the sensor in auto mode and forces the xenons on.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I'm on 16.2 and did notice an improvement in my "auto" function. Now less prone to come on in low light (cloudy but not dark). They come on fine at dusk and go off fine as the sun gets fully over the horizon. No issues here. I suppose my windshield is canted a little more back (more rake) but I am not sure that would have a significant impact on sensor operation.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jun 9 2005, 01:36 AM
I do not think they are time programmed.? They work after CIP16.1 just fine as described by kscarrol.? If they are being stubborn at dusk and not coming on,? you have two options.
1. Switch them on (turn switch to far right)
2. Shhhh.......turn on fog lights (woe betide yee)? This actions overrides the sensor in auto mode and forces the xenons on.
[snapback]137839[/snapback]
I've found that mine are very appropriate as to when they go on in relation to light sensitivity EXCEPT after 6 or 7 PM and then even if it isn't very dark they go on and stay on. That's why I thought they were time programmed too. <_<

Quick Reply: Sensitivity of the auto headlights