E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sensitivity of the auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 530i sport, Titanium Silver

Hi,

It seems like after one of the software upgrades on my car, the automatic headlights require it to be more dark outside before they kick on. Is this something that other people have noticed?

Is there a way this can be user-adjusted? If not, can the dealership tweak it or is it something tied into the programming?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2005, 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yes, the dealer can adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights. Many had complained that the system was too sensitive, making the headlights come on and off way too often or sometimes coming on even in relatively bright sunlight. Not surprised they made it less sensitive, but if you want to adjust it some, the dealer can tweak it for you.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Actually.... the headlights were not sensitive enough.

The sensor is a light sensor.... so more sensitive makes the headlights remain off in brighter ambient light.

Even if the dealer adjusts your sensitivity to the highest setting, the lights still come on in broad daylight.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jun 8 2005, 07:27 AM
Actually....? the headlights were not sensitive enough.

The sensor is a light sensor....? so more sensitive makes the headlights remain off in brighter ambient light.

Even if the dealer adjusts your sensitivity to the highest setting, the lights still come on in broad daylight.
[snapback]137510[/snapback]
Right, I meant in the sense of the overall system. In my mind, the system is too sensitive to changes in light and dark if it turns on the lights on cloudy days or as I go under an over pass, but technically you are correct.

Overall, I am pleased with the system, though I must say my lights do not come on in broad daylight as you describe. They do come on a bit too early at dusk or if I go under a large enough overpass. But as soon as I come back out into the full light they click off again. I'm sure the folks in front of me think I'm flashing them!
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Kscarrol,

Try this next time and see if your lights will stay on: Find a shady street with trees or buildings on its sides, and go through it. The light should come up when the car is in the shaded part, and turn off on the sunny part. After a series of on and off, you headlights will settle in permanently on mode. You can turn it off and put it back to auto, but it will still be on, under any kind of light. You have to turn off your car for it to reset.

Let us know if you still don't have this problem.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:53 AM
Kscarrol,

Try this next time and see if your lights will stay on: Find a shady street with trees or buildings on its sides, and go through it.? The light should come up when the car is in the shaded part, and turn off on the sunny part.? After a series of on and off, you headlights will settle in permanently on mode.? You can turn it off and put it back to auto, but it will still be on, under any kind of light.? You have to turn off your car for it to reset.

Let us know if you still don't have this problem.
[snapback]137555[/snapback]
I will have to try this. I have one large overpass I go under every morning on the way to work and the lights do come on for a few seconds then, but quickly turn off once I'm out from under it. Have never gone through repeated cycles as you describe. Will give a shot some time.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Repeated cycles is what triggers the light to be on all the time.

My lights would come on inside the garage as I start the car. Once I pull out, the light would go off. Then, I pass through a street full of trees, I notice the green light come on and off about 3 times due to shade/sun light transitions. Finally, the light will be permanently on.

Depending on your sensitivity setting, make sure that the shadow is dark enough to turn your lights off, in order to make this experiment work.

I also notice the same pattern with the 7 series.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

My lights worked well before. But ever since I got the 16.2 upgrade, my lights only come on in the garage or if it gets really dark outside. It seems to me that the lights are more programmed to work on a specific time rather than the light sensitivity. My lights will turn on in the evening, doesn't matter how dark or light it is outide but in the afternoons or morning, they won't come on.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmw525i' date='Jun 8 2005, 11:15 AM
My lights worked well before. But ever since I got the 16.2 upgrade, my lights only come on in the garage or if it gets really dark outside. It seems to me that the lights are more programmed to work on a specific time rather than the light sensitivity. My lights will turn on in the evening, doesn't matter how dark or light it is outide but in the afternoons or morning, they won't come on.?
[snapback]137614[/snapback]
I have 16.2 as well. My light sensitivity setting was at "sensitive" before the upgrade. When I complained about the lights staying on unwantedly, the dealer set the sensitivity to "normal." This did not solve the unwanted light problem, but created another one. Now, the light would not come one untill very late, nor during light rain under overcast sky.

I really wish BMW would give us the adaptive function even if we turn on the light manually.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Members

i have light set on AUTO and when i turn on the car light is on. No mater is it day or night. Whole day is on. I think you should ask dealer taht put non - stop on.

Quick Reply: Sensitivity of the auto headlights