E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Screwed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

definitely go for a plug.... works with no problem. I've had a few on my Audi before and did a lot of performance driving with it with no prob.
It is in a good flat spot easy to plug. Really do not worry about it. Todays's plugs are superb. you will not even find it afterwards.....
Old 04-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='267326' date='Apr 10 2006, 04:27 PM
definitely go for a plug.... works with no problem. I've had a few on my Audi before and did a lot of performance driving with it with no prob.
It is in a good flat spot easy to plug. Really do not worry about it. Todays's plugs are superb. you will not even find it afterwards.....

There really is no reason to get a plug over a patch. The price is about the same and the patch is better in almost 99% of the time. The 1% of the time I would use a plug is if I had a plug kit and had no spare and stuck in the middle of no where. Plugs work great and I've used them off road but whenever I have an option it's patch all the way.

Just my 2cents
Old 04-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='267342' date='Apr 10 2006, 03:52 PM

There really is no reason to get a plug over a patch. The price is about the same and the patch is better in almost 99% of the time. The 1% of the time I would use a plug is if I had a plug kit and had no spare and stuck in the middle of no where. Plugs work great and I've used them off road but whenever I have an option it's patch all the way.

Just my 2cents

language prob here
I mean plug/patch thing all in one..... they drill the hole a little after the screw is removed......grind the inside of the tire around the hole , area like 5 cent coint (so the glue would hold better) and then they glue the grinded place stick this T shaped plug/patch in it and pull it out and cut the tip on the outside of the tire..... so you have plug in the hole and the patch inside the tire so it is plug/patch thing together
Old 04-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='267309' date='Apr 10 2006, 02:38 PM
but advise you that it is down one notch on the speed rating.

Good luck.
Lomag,

It'll go down from 200mph to 150mph. Don't exceed that speed
Old 04-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

LOL, i'll keep that in mind.

I believe I had it patched, they took off the tire and worked on it from the inside. The screw was infact a short one and just barely broke through. No biggie I guess. I kind of freaked out seeing it on my new tire especially after getting a flat on my run-flat a while ago which ended up being replaced with a new one + a new rim since it was bent. That flat tire cost me a lot!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

You may get lucky and it's only superficial. Happended to me once. Try yanking it out in the parking lot of the service station and see what happens. Worse case is it'll go flat, but you'll be where you need to go to have it fixed.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='267348' date='Apr 10 2006, 11:58 PM
language prob here
I mean plug/patch thing all in one..... they drill the hole a little after the screw is removed......grind the inside of the tire around the hole , area like 5 cent coint (so the glue would hold better) and then they glue the grinded place stick this T shaped plug/patch in it and pull it out and cut the tip on the outside of the tire..... so you have plug in the hole and the patch inside the tire so it is plug/patch thing together

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to also. (plug & patch)
Old 04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='267385' date='Apr 10 2006, 05:41 PM
Yes that is exactly what I was referring to also. (plug & patch)
Ah... okay

I was thinking plug... the kind where you don't remove the tire. Remove object, clean, insert glue and insert industrial needle tool with a plug, remove needle tool.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='267232' date='Apr 10 2006, 06:50 PM
Attachment 17656
I noticed this in my drivers side front tire today while tightening the bolts just make sure everything was safe. I haven't even put 1000 miles on my new wheels yet and now this. I don't know how long it's been there but the pressure in the tire is exactly the same as I originally inflated it to about a month ago or so. I don't hear any air leaking from it either.

My thoughts are conflicting. Should I just leave it alone? Get it removed and plugged? I always hear plugs don't work. I assume another option is to just buy a whole new tire but I don't really want to do that so soon. Is there any other options like some goo you spray inside the tire to seal the area around the screw?

Get it Patched immediately. Everytime you get into your car you are risking a blow-out and loosing your car for the sake of a couple of euro
Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Plug it. Easy fix. No worries. Definitely don't leave it.

All the best

Quick Reply: Screwed