E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SAT Selector issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550i MSport/DeepSeaBlue/Nav/logic7

Hi All,

I brought a 08 550i/M-Sport CPO in late November and have loved every minute of it. I have had a number of BMWs and this car is first equal with my '01 540i and I think in time it will be my all time favorite. I joined this site almost right away and have been lurking daily soaking up all the great advice. So this is my first post.

I only have two issues with the car, one is just a small creak from the driver door that I suspect just needs some lube on the seal. And the other is a intermittent issue with the SAT selector. Every now and again I cannot select reverse with out first "pulling back" into drive. I guess the issue might be the first push forward into neutral, but regardless the result is I have to pull back into drive before I can select reverse. I'm guessing the issue is the selector since it appears completely electrically linked to the transmission itself.

Has anyone experienced similar? I am planning on taking the car in for its regular maintenance soon and I want to get this looked into and at a minimum, registered on the service record. But ultimately I'd like it fixed. I have been taking cars to this dealership for 10 years an they have always been pretty competent, but intermittent issues can have a tendency to drag on...

Lastly - Great site, fun community and thanks for taking the time to read.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Members

Welcome, I myself have been lurking on and off on this site and like you, have found info on here to be invaluable.

I don't have the issue you're describing. I have an SAT as well and apart from the rare times when I go to reverse from drive and reverse doesn't engage, all I do is push forward until it does.

Hope someone else with more insight can chime in for ya.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Hi, and welcome.

I have SAT also and have had this issue also but never had a major beef with it - I simply got into the habit of selecting debs before reverse.

I did however take it to the garage to have a look at an issue with the reversing wing mirror and memory steering wheel, and they flagged an issue with the selector which could be related? I have not had the problem since bit it was intermittent so it may or may not have been fixed?!?!?

Either way, the last year I had the 'issue' I never encountered an actual problem with the selector.

Definitely get it checked, just do not loose sleep over it.

Hth

Darron
Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535D M Sport Carbon Black, 172s, Boot spoiler, Tinted Glass, Media pack, Visabilty Pack, Hifi Upgrade, Electric memory heated Seats, Heated steering Wheel, Sport auto Trans,

Im glad that i here from members with similar issues, I though it was just me going mad! No not really but every now and again when I put my car into reverse from drive i go noware only to discover that im in netural! I have found that if you pust the sat lever forward to fast it does'nt reconise reverse so i hold it there for just a second longer and all seems well! so now i can reverse.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Just spotted something today which may help. I tried to put the car in reverse and it didn't go like before except this time I noticed that the selector was caught on something inside the shifter - i believe that it is caught in the D/S selector part of the gate (think that is the right term?). this leads me to think that the problem is simply we are pushing the selector up and slightly over rather than just straight up!

might be worth checking this next time it happens...
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 08 550i MSport/DeepSeaBlue/Nav/logic7

Thanks everybody for the responses and I'm glad it's not just me. I'll try to pay attention to the angle I'm pushing it, but it will always go into reverse from D. The car should be in going in for regular maintenance soon so I'll report back if they find anything.

Cheers
B