E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough idling

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

not sure if its the exact same problem but my rpm would boggle and my whole car would shake but it was gone after replacing my spark plugs. found that out after running a couple diagnostics and figuring out that it wasn't cylinder misfiring.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
1/2 service light=1/2engine light...it's in your manual...basically limp mode/engine malfunction/reduced power...
oh that was definitely the issue on their way to NYC. they brought it to the nearest BMW dealership to have them look at it. according to my parents, they weren't very helpful and were rude but that's another issue i suppose. they cleared the codes so now my home dealership can't see what happened.

Originally Posted by tuffluck
my SA told me today that surging at startup is normal and pretty common on bmw's...
when you mean surging, do you mean the tremors as you startup and back up? it's almost as if the car is chugging along.

Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
OP. Who is your dealer in Ottawa?
I had a bit of idling issues and Otto's updated my programing and it seemed to correct the issue on my 09 .
Elite! hm...my parents already took it down to NYC for their road trip, so i can't test how it is idling. i'm more concerned about the backing up part, where it keeps chuggin, i guess i'll have to report on the car once it's back.

Originally Posted by 03grey5
not sure if its the exact same problem but my rpm would boggle and my whole car would shake but it was gone after replacing my spark plugs. found that out after running a couple diagnostics and figuring out that it wasn't cylinder misfiring.
hm... i'll suggest it thanks!
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

yeah mine basically seems to tremor a bit just as you are describing, most notably after cold starts in the AM, and it seems like it is most felt while in reverse.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah mine basically seems to tremor a bit just as you are describing, most notably after cold starts in the AM, and it seems like it is most felt while in reverse.
ok, so i've been taking it for a spin over the weekend and noticed no more rough idling while at the lights. however, i still get the tremors when reversing after starting. ugh... how do i get rid of it? d'oh!

i've been accelerating hard every now and then over the weekend in hopes for burning off any carbon accumulated but it doesn't help the reversing tremors.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 AM
Members

alright so the car isn't so bad now. drives alright but the reversing tremors are a little less but not 100% gone.

i tried asking the service guy at the dealer (i believe the acronym here is SA?) if he can have the mechanic take a look at the HPFP and he said no because there's no hard fault/check engine light, so there won't be any warranty work covered. he said he drives a 550i and never noticed such a thing. d'oh!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

You don't always get a service light indicator on HPFP faults... The first sign is a rough start or long crank...

Even after the pump fails and you go in to limp home mode , you still may not get a service/engine power reduced warning, I know cause it happen 2x with mine out of the 5 total.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:06 AM
Members

Ah hah! The other day my dad was driving the car and the engine light came on along with a very rough start. I quickly took the car to the dealer without turning it off and they would look into it. So a couple days pass and they tell us that they replaced the HPFP and "core return". Great! Dad goes picks up the car and as soon as he hops in the car, it starts with the same rough start and the check engine light is on so he waltz back in and says the problem isn't fixed. A few more days later they replaced the HPFP (again), core return, "decoupling element", spark plugs, and injectors. Great, we head down to NYC and it stills idles pretty rough.

As we parked in NYC, I retracted the mirrors and upon leaving dad unfolded the mirrors and the driver's side kept going, flipping outwards. When we got back from the road trip, we brought in the car and complained how after all the work they did, it ended up being worse plus the mirrors are folded outwards. They take a look again and after a few days, they think they finally found out the issue and ordered a new "lambda" and plug in unit. Great! Now the car finally doesn't idle as rough or choke as you back up after starting. They said the idling isn't perfect but they said to give it a shot and if it gets worse, bring it in. Also I would like to point out the shifting is much smoother too when in manual mode.

So, back to the "technician" who told me it's normal to experience the rough idling. Ugh. Thank god i didn't really take his word for it. I wish i could report him to BMW for giving false information to me. Can I?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of days later they changed your HPFP and you picked your car up? WTF, I had to wait a week and half for my appointment and even then they had my car for 25 days before I picked it up after they replaced the HPFP. You lucky dog

Also if you feel the dealership is giving you the run around and not fixing a problem with your vehicle, try getting a second opinion and take it to another BMW dealership to have it looked at if there is another near by.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
A couple of days later they changed your HPFP and you picked your car up? WTF, I had to wait a week and half for my appointment and even then they had my car for 25 days before I picked it up after they replaced the HPFP. You lucky dog

Also if you feel the dealership is giving you the run around and not fixing a problem with your vehicle, try getting a second opinion and take it to another BMW dealership to have it looked at if there is another near by.
haha, i guess that is the plus side to living in a smaller city. did they at least give you a loaner?

well, now the rough idling is on their minds so i don't think i'll need to run over to the next dealer to get an opinion. if there's another issue that arises *knock on wood*, i'll be sure to second guess that technician's first impression of the issue. i definitely did not appreciate that technician's first impression now and it's bugging me. d'oh.