E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rough idling

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by cuto
or_550i, the car is driven every day and i experience the chugging issue everytime i back out of the garage.
Hum. I'd be willing to bet that it might be a small vacuum leak since it happens when you come to a stop at a traffic light too. If it's big enough, you should be able to hear it. Otherwise, there's always the default: clean the MAF.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by or_550i
Hum. I'd be willing to bet that it might be a small vacuum leak since it happens when you come to a stop at a traffic light too. If it's big enough, you should be able to hear it. Otherwise, there's always the default: clean the MAF.
maybe i'll suggest for them to clean the MAF if it isn't fixed after we get it back today. also, what kinda sound would a vacuum leak sound like? lol, sorry i'm a bit of a newb still.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

the car is suppose to be back today. i'll give it a shot and see if it does fix the problem.

what's wrong with the defective HPFP then? what kinda experience would one have if they did have it?
since the 535 has twin turbos, it requires quite a bit of fuel regulation. the pump they installed from 07-10 was just not good enough to keep up with the engine in many instances. to make matters worse, bmw just kept reinstalling the bad pumps when the predecessors went out. supposedly the newest pumps are better...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tuffluck
since the 535 has twin turbos, it requires quite a bit of fuel regulation. the pump they installed from 07-10 was just not good enough to keep up with the engine in many instances. to make matters worse, bmw just kept reinstalling the bad pumps when the predecessors went out. supposedly the newest pumps are better...
Yet the newest pumps have failed and even on the N55 engine pumps are failing .
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by Munich77
Yet the newest pumps have failed and even on the N55 engine pumps are failing .
that's not reassuring.

i got the car back again and tried to reverse to reproduce the issue. guess what? it's still there! the rough idle while in D waiting is not existent but i think i'll need to drive it more to see if it is totally gone.

i read the notes on the invoice.

"Cause: Check fault memory. Fault stored for misfire. Run test plan and result is to update DME software.

Correction: Perform complete programming and encoding. Programming failed on first attempt. Restart programming session and complete update. Set time. Date and radio stations. Road test O.K."

so as the notes suggest, they wiped out my iDrive and all my radio presets and navigation address book! you would think they would warn you that they were going to wipe it. anyhow, looks like i might need to ask them to change up the HPFP, fuel injector, and possibly clean the MAF?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

that's not reassuring.

i got the car back again and tried to reverse to reproduce the issue. guess what? it's still there! the rough idle while in D waiting is not existent but i think i'll need to drive it more to see if it is totally gone.

i read the notes on the invoice.

"Cause: Check fault memory. Fault stored for misfire. Run test plan and result is to update DME software.

Correction: Perform complete programming and encoding. Programming failed on first attempt. Restart programming session and complete update. Set time. Date and radio stations. Road test O.K."

so as the notes suggest, they wiped out my iDrive and all my radio presets and navigation address book! you would think they would warn you that they were going to wipe it. anyhow, looks like i might need to ask them to change up the HPFP, fuel injector, and possibly clean the MAF?

here's a thread regarding the hpfp: https://5series.net/forums/topic/911...1#entry1078874

post #14 in that thread includes a list of SIB's regarding HPFP repair....good luck....mid year this year I experienced a rough idle at start up w/ an SES and limp mode, dealer changed all my injectors..all is well for now.....
Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
here's a thread regarding the hpfp: https://5series.net/forums/topic/911...1#entry1078874

post #14 in that thread includes a list of SIB's regarding HPFP repair....good luck....mid year this year I experienced a rough idle at start up w/ an SES and limp mode, dealer changed all my injectors..all is well for now.....
hm, i read the link about HPFP and it looks like parents actually experienced this as they drove down to NYC. what's a 1/2 service light though?

looks like i should suggest to the dealer that we get the HPFP replaced. i'll print out the doc and hopefully it'll get them to do it.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

hm, i read the link about HPFP and it looks like parents actually experienced this as they drove down to NYC. what's a 1/2 service light though?

looks like i should suggest to the dealer that we get the HPFP replaced. i'll print out the doc and hopefully it'll get them to do it.
1/2 service light=1/2engine light...it's in your manual...basically limp mode/engine malfunction/reduced power...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

my SA told me today that surging at startup is normal and pretty common on bmw's...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

OP. Who is your dealer in Ottawa?
I had a bit of idling issues and Otto's updated my programing and it seemed to correct the issue on my 09 .

Quick Reply: Rough idling