E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obiwan' post='1003363' date='Sep 9 2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=51&fg=95

I use the above, bought them from tisher online.

If you would like pics, I can post, may take till this weekend though
Thanks for offering the pics. I would like to see them.
Do I understand correctly that these aftermarket shades do not roll up for storage? How do they attach and, when not needed, how easy are they to store in the vehicle?
I appreciate your input, obiwan.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CarlinPA' post='1004171' date='Sep 10 2009, 04:02 PM
Do I understand correctly that these aftermarket shades do not roll up for storage? How do they attach and, when not needed, how easy are they to store in the vehicle?
They do not roll up, they pop out of their attachment for the door ones. The quarter panel ones stay in place.
They come with a nylon bag, I usually take both the side ones and put them in one and store them on the side in the trunk behind the flexible grocery holder

I also looked at putting inthe rollup ones, too much hassle is what I came up with

used the rear window one for a while, it came down to clean the window once, don't know where it is

You can see the difference between the rear/front windows
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010159__small_.jpg
you can see the side view, note the curve around the door lock, specific for each side
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010161__small_.jpg
quarter panel outside
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010163__small_.jpg
inside
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010164__small_.jpg
outside
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010166__small_.jpg
inside
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010167__small_.jpg
clips that hold it in place, there are three of these, have not broken them yet, would have been nice to get a spare one like I did for the volvo ones
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010172__small_.jpg
curve around the door lock
Retrofit Rear Side Manual Sunshades?-p1010174__small_.jpg
Old 09-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by obiwan' post='1005850' date='Sep 12 2009, 07:56 PM
They do not roll up, they pop out of their attachment for the door ones. The quarter panel ones stay in place.
They come with a nylon bag, I usually take both the side ones and put them in one and store them on the side in the trunk behind the flexible grocery holder

I also looked at putting inthe rollup ones, too much hassle is what I came up with

used the rear window one for a while, it came down to clean the window once, don't know where it is

You can see the difference between the rear/front windows
Attachment 89908
you can see the side view, note the curve around the door lock, specific for each side
Attachment 89909
quarter panel outside
Attachment 89910
inside
Attachment 89911
outside
Attachment 89912
inside
Attachment 89913
clips that hold it in place, there are three of these, have not broken them yet, would have been nice to get a spare one like I did for the volvo ones
Attachment 89914
curve around the door lock
Attachment 89915
Thanks, obiwan

You've been a big help.

I'm going to order a set of the quarter panel window shades tomorrow and see how they work out. Then maybe I'll spring for the others.

From your photos, the shades look like a pretty decent alternative to the factory installed roll-ups, though not as elegant as far as storage goes.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Members

It seems kinda expensive at 200+ USD per window.... and 150USD per triangular window..

Carlin, please share how much you are charged for if possible. Thanks !
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Members

vega...

I have not ordered my sunshades yet because my intention was to do so when I picked up my car from a service visit on Wednesday. Turns out that the automatic cargo cover (Sport Wagon) is retracting when the hatch is opened but does not return to the original position when the hatch is closed. The dealer is apparantly struggling with the problem (covered under warranty) and wants the car for a third day to replace two modules. Two 'hi-tech' modules to trigger closing a cargo cover! You have to wonder why not a simple switch!
When I order the shades, I will let you know.

Enough said about that. My understanding is that the shades are sold in sets for the $200+ but I'm not sure. If the price is not for a set, I will prabably skip them. I will let you know. Probably obiwan can tell us if this is for a set. Are you there obiwan?
Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CarlinPA' post='1010459' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:20 PM
vega...

I have not ordered my sunshades yet because my intention was to do so when I picked up my car from a service visit on Wednesday. Turns out that the automatic cargo cover (Sport Wagon) is retracting when the hatch is opened but does not return to the original position when the hatch is closed. The dealer is apparantly struggling with the problem (covered under warranty) and wants the car for a third day to replace two modules. Two 'hi-tech' modules to trigger closing a cargo cover! You have to wonder why not a simple switch!
When I order the shades, I will let you know.

Enough said about that. My understanding is that the shades are sold in sets for the $200+ but I'm not sure. If the price is not for a set, I will prabably skip them. I will let you know. Probably obiwan can tell us if this is for a set. Are you there obiwan?
Have to wait until next week for info on the shades.

BMW Dealer called with good and bad news.
Good news: The cargo cover is working properly.
Bad news: They blew out the central control module and have to order another one.

I'm really beginning to miss my car. Boo hoo...
Old 09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Members

The price is for a pair.

I used tisher (mileone) online, I think there is a 10% off coupon that I got from somewhere, here or bimmerfest

Having used stick on, cling and ruining the antitrap feature for a while until I extracted it, clip on, suction on, this was the best I could find.

Also I had a similar one for the volvo xc90, the volvo one is like a twisty screen that spring open, much easier to store but the fit is not that clean.

this is one clean fit

by the way, I noticed the cargo cover mechanism only when I took pictures for this ...........
cargo cover does not always go up, have noticed the following:
1- if I just open the top, it always opens the cargo cover if I wait a second
2- If I open the power tail, no predicting what it will do
Old 09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Members

Finally, I got my Sport Wagon back from the dealer after 5 days. The cargo cover used to retract when the rear hatch door or window was opened but it did not return to the lowered position after the hatch was closed. Now it no longer retracts but will return to the lowered positon after I retract it manually. Car goes back to dealer on Monday.

Anyway, I got the rear side window shades and as obiwan pointed out, they do come as a set. I really like them. They snap in real tight (so tight, in fact, that they are a little difficult to get seated properly) and they look great in my opinion. I paid $174 for the set from my dealer supposedly after a 20% discount. Part number is 51-46-0-395-891.

Now I am considering the shades for the rear doors.