E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010 | 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I would've called BMW Canada and complained about this service. Which dealer did you go to?

Originally Posted by rmejule' post='514759' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:43 PM
I have the same problem. i went to BMW in November, but they said cos i bought the car from the states and am from canada, they won't be able to see me till end of this month!! I wonder if they will be telling me some story about not being able to fix it, since it's 2008, even though i brought the problem to them last year.
Old 01-21-2010 | 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

If you don't have the Comfort Seats, most likely this is the problem and they have to replace the mat.

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='515059' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:04 AM
What do you guys think the chances are that the dealers will recognise the class action suit and actually work to help fix the problem?
Old 01-21-2010 | 04:56 AM
Members

This happend to me a few weeks ago... I called up BMWNA, gave them my vin, and said there was a recall on the seatmat occupancy sensor.. and "noted my account" Called up the dealer, gave them my vin, confirmed the recall, and got it done at no cost..

Originally Posted by HOMEP1' post='514716' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:12 AM
Restraint System Failure (Passenger)

Hello,

I have searched this topic, and I think my scenario is unique?

A few days ago my iDrive started showing the message ?Passenger Restraint System Failure.? This message came up when passenger got in the passenger seat. On my dash, the seat belt sign along with my airbag sign are red (lighted), and the lights stay on all the time, even when both seatbelts are on. I have restarted the car several times and the message has not gone away. Attached is a picture of the error (taken from another member's post, identical issue). My E60 is out of warranty and all car specs are in my below signature.

Here is the troubleshooting I?ve done:

The ?Passenger Airbag Off? light on the ceiling (by the sunroof switch) seems to be functioning properly. The light is on when no passenger is present, and is off when a passenger is present. This could mean that the sensor is functioning properly?

Last summer I had a similar situation where the Passenger Airbag Off light was not responding properly (the light would stay on even with a passenger in the seat). An individual from BMW North America saw my posting on this issue on this E60.net forum and contacted me directly, and I brought the car into a local dealer at no charge. The local dealer performed a test and determined that there is no problem. Last time, however, I was not getting the iDrive message (just the malfunctioning Passenger Airbag Off light). Details on this issue can be found at http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;mode=threaded

I am very concerned on this issue, does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?
Old 01-21-2010 | 05:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Raheel312' post='1094787' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:56 AM
This happend to me a few weeks ago... I called up BMWNA, gave them my vin, and said there was a recall on the seatmat occupancy sensor.. and "noted my account" Called up the dealer, gave them my vin, confirmed the recall, and got it done at no cost..
my car it happened also i have the sports seats, i hit the seat a couple of times restarted the car and its been over 1 month and never had a issue, not that thats a fix, but the dealer said they would fix it under recall for free, but they needed the car the WHOLE day..... did they take the whole day with your car?? that seems excessive for a sensor in the seat
Old 01-21-2010 | 06:30 AM
Members

Dropped it off before work, and picked it up when i got off.. they gave me a loaner so it went smooth

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1094810' date='Jan 21 2010, 09:51 AM
my car it happened also i have the sports seats, i hit the seat a couple of times restarted the car and its been over 1 month and never had a issue, not that thats a fix, but the dealer said they would fix it under recall for free, but they needed the car the WHOLE day..... did they take the whole day with your car?? that seems excessive for a sensor in the seat
Old 01-25-2010 | 07:48 AM
Members

This happened to me about a year ago, I took my car to the dealership and got it fixed at no cost. I got the error message again this morning, I just called the dealership and scheduled an appointment. I really hope they're going to fix it for free again.
My car is outside the warranty but the recall was done less than a year ago. Does anyone know if recall replacement parts have any warranties??

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010 | 03:37 AM
Senior Members

Change your battery and you want see this message ever again. That happened to me before.

Originally Posted by ziad' post='1097523' date='Jan 25 2010, 11:48 AM
This happened to me about a year ago, I took my car to the dealership and got it fixed at no cost. I got the error message again this morning, I just called the dealership and scheduled an appointment. I really hope they're going to fix it for free again.
My car is outside the warranty but the recall was done less than a year ago. Does anyone know if recall replacement parts have any warranties??

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2010 | 04:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d sport

Hey,

The only way to clear the fault is to go back to the dealer and let them use thier special computer. You cannot clear it yourself. Its usually if you have had a flat battery, or sometimes, things rolling around under the seats can trigger it(or so the dealers tell me)

If you have warranty you should be covered, if not, its going to be expensive as the sensor is inside the seats. It was the passenger seat on mine which kept causing the fault. I took it back three times in one month! Then they finally agreed to change the sensor, and to date, it has never come back on. Aparrantly in the US it was a huge problem. It can be fixed, but only by the people with the correct equipment. Nothing you can do youself. Dont worry though, if you do have a crash, the airbags should still go off (well thats what the dealers told me)
Old 02-04-2010 | 02:07 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530i _2004_Space Grey

i have the same problem, the passenger restraint warning came on the other day, but im out of warranty now. i see that some people are saying they got it fixed at no charge, but they are posting the recall notice for the airbag sensor malfunction. is this sensor for the airbag and restraints?.. i dont get it. im taking mine in for the airbag recall (that one has malfunctioned yet). will this fix both issues. im also gonna make them look at my drivers side heated seat, i almost burned my ass a few weeks ago, it even burned a little hole in the seat.
Old 02-07-2010 | 05:54 PM
Members

i actually went tot he stealership and saw a white 525 with the same problems.. guy told after driving a few miles it will come off... how could you try to sell a car with the big warning siganal... smh

Quick Reply: Restraint System Failure (Passenger)