E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing the seat mat sensor out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Somewhat related is my 2008 X3. It has had a faulty seat belt warning frequently with nothing in the seat. This has happened consistently since we bought it new 3 years ago. Recall did not cover 2008 - only earlier. Dealer, on many occasions, stated it could not be duplicated and there was no fault message in the "saved" error/fault messages. That makes sense since it is not a "fault" when the alarm goes off - it is only a fault if nothing is in the seat - which the sensor cannot distinguish beause it thinks something is in the seat.

My factory warranty expires in about 7 months and I am worried I will not get this fixed under the factory warranty.

Several months ago my dealership finally agreed, only after I recorded the event on my iPhone -live- nothing in the seat- alarm going off- no fault message- did he agree to order me an entire new seat. But it has never arrived.

I am afraid to go over the dealer's head to BMWNA.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

I had this error and the dealership wanted $500+ to fix it. So what i did was took it to an independent BMW shop, they charged me $70 to "realign" the sensor or something like that. It's been 2 months and so far, so good. No errors.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by juris335
Somewhat related is my 2008 X3. It has had a faulty seat belt warning frequently with nothing in the seat. This has happened consistently since we bought it new 3 years ago. Recall did not cover 2008 - only earlier. Dealer, on many occasions, stated it could not be duplicated and there was no fault message in the "saved" error/fault messages. That makes sense since it is not a "fault" when the alarm goes off - it is only a fault if nothing is in the seat - which the sensor cannot distinguish beause it thinks something is in the seat.

My factory warranty expires in about 7 months and I am worried I will not get this fixed under the factory warranty.

Several months ago my dealership finally agreed, only after I recorded the event on my iPhone -live- nothing in the seat- alarm going off- no fault message- did he agree to order me an entire new seat. But it has never arrived.

I am afraid to go over the dealer's head to BMWNA.
Man, you need to take it up to BMWNA so they can bitch own your local dealership. Would you rather give them some grief for something they are suppose to do, or jeopardize the safety of your passenger or spend money to fix it when it should've been covered?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

I have the same error on my car, took it to the dealer and its certianly not the Sensor -- Guess what, its the BST cable

I am going to take care of it later sometime but I just want to say - Its wise to first know exactly what you have to do, rather than doing something you think would solve the problem and spending a lot more money
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by TheRacerBoss
I have the same error on my car, took it to the dealer and its certianly not the Sensor -- Guess what, its the BST cable

I am going to take care of it later sometime but I just want to say - Its wise to first know exactly what you have to do, rather than doing something you think would solve the problem and spending a lot more money
Do you have a picture or part number for the BST cable?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:58 PM
Senior Members

just take care of it asap, not worth risking your passenger's safety...
thats just my take on this isssue
Old 08-11-2011, 03:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Do you have a picture or part number for the BST cable?
I will check my service record and update the threat with the part number CoB today
Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

WOW it seems everyone has this problem, awful.

I am in the same boat, I am troubleshooting, im pretty sure is my BST cable.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525 XI 1968 AMC AMX

I just bought a 2007 525 XI two weeks ago from Car Max. Two days later that same error showed up. I took it back and they sent it to the dealership, they relaced the pad and the bill was $867.50.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jeff E60
I just bought a 2007 525 XI two weeks ago from Car Max. Two days later that same error showed up. I took it back and they sent it to the dealership, they relaced the pad and the bill was $867.50.
Who paid the bill ?
If carMax did, there is where we should all be headed

Quick Reply: Replacing the seat mat sensor out of warranty?