E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

rattling caliper and squaking brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5
Default rattling caliper and squaking brake noise

so i finished replacing my front rotors and pads. while test driving i noticed a rattling caliper sound in the left , and a squak grabbing sound right before each stop in the right.

i had to leave out the location screws in the rotors, cause i drilled them out and had no replacement, but I've seen cars where they are sometimes left out as well, so I don't think that would be the problem. ( twas a bitch to put on though)

I also polished the whole caliper to a shine with a grinder and dremel. i was going to paint them after but the silver looks preety sharp. but i hope i didnt grind too much away...

btw while doing this i noticed they are ATE calipers if anybody was wondering. had no idea they came stock that way.

before i rip everything apart to examine the problem, can anybody guess what i messed up this time?

oh the rotors were slotted drilled and coated, was told not to clean the rotors with brake fluid before bedding them. which i found rather odd.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Did you reinstall the rattle clips properly? I would definitely get the location screws installed as well. Is the a vibration in the wheel while braking? Did you put the anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads, and the contact points on the caliper where the pad sits? Did you clean off the contact points with a wire brush? Did you clean off the caliper guide pins?
Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: Sapphire Black 07 530i non-sport 7000k Angel Eyes 6000k HID Xenon adaptive turn Head lamps and Fogs, Clear LED Turn Signals front/back and side markers. Clear bright license plate lamp. Full interior lighting upgrade. Coding: daytime angel eyes, auto windows up, and digital speedometer. (Thanks to John at Motorcepts.com) OEM Tinted LCI Tail lights (Thanks to David at http://www.luxmotorwerks.com Oem Mtec rear bumper with diffuser and M5trunk finisher Debadged! The best paint work! (Thanks to Desimone BMW) 20x8.5 +18 20x10 +25 Concept One RS-8 Black Machined Chrome Lip V6.1 cables (Thanks to Bruce Miranda) Nitto Invo tires 285x30 R20 - 245x35 R20 Discounttire.com Vac Motorsports ecu chip upgrade, and fender roll http://vacmotorsports.com/ wish list: Rieger Front bumper Hamann side skirts Custom quad exhaust Rpi Ram air intake scoop M5 SMG shift knob KW Variant 3 suspension Brembo Big Brake kit LCI Heads Tints BMW M5

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
Did you reinstall the rattle clips properly? I would definitely get the location screws installed as well. Is the a vibration in the wheel while braking? Did you put the anti-squeal paste on the back of the pads, and the contact points on the caliper where the pad sits? Did you clean off the contact points with a wire brush? Did you clean off the caliper guide pins?
No rattling in the steering wheel while braking.

I did all that and more. One thing I noticed was the pins being very dry, even after lubing them with brake lube (silicon paste) a few days earlier. I got jammed cause of the seized location screw, so i put everything back together and went to the other side.

The pads did come with a silver paste, but I had silicon brake lube, so i used that on the back of the pads instead. is there a difference?

The location screws...One side I may have damaged the thread while drilling, so putting a location screw may not work. I don't know what that part is called or how much it will be to replace, if need be.

I guess I must tear into it again. I'm going to lube heavy, this is btw the 3rd time I will be taking the front brakes off.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Guide pins do not get lubricated. They have to be smooth, no rust and the dust boot must be intact.

Rotors never get cleaned with brake fluid. I think you meant brake cleaner??

If you munged up a couple of threads or one side of the hole, the location bolt will still go back. Just clean up the threads with a wire brush and razor knife if you need to dig out anything.

I always use this brake lube on the rear of the pads and clips:
Permatex Ultra Disc Brake Caliper Lube (8 oz) 24110: You