E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Questions for the more knowledgeable

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Silver Grey premium sound sport pkg auto trans rear sunshade fold down seats park distance control . Did euro delivery in July 2004. This was second ED.

I did euro delivery in July 2004 for a 545i. I took the first aid kit and triangle out as I thought they would be taken at the VPC. When I picked up the car the dealer put in a US (english) first aid kit. My ed one is in german. The triangle was not replaced in us. I have taken out the us first aid kit and put the german version back in as well as the triangle to get it in ed style.

Could not be happier with this car. Had severl 5 series in past and this is best by far.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Dec 7 2004, 07:55 PM
[quote name='wiszmaster' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:36 PM']#3. - on, not both - just the right side mirror - and only if its NOT selected with the switch (the mirror adjust switch)? thats ho it is in the US at least.

#5. - i have a flashlight on the left to the flashlight. if flashlight = torch then i guess yes.

HERES A QUESTION TO YOU GUYS:

who all does have a first AID kit & warning Triangle in their trunk mounted tool box thingy deal?? because i don't!
[snapback]66127[/snapback]
#1. I assume Irisheyes that you have the auto transmission. Have you tried Sport mode or even the Manual mode?

#3. Only the passenger side mirror tilts down (never been to Ireland, but is it right hand drive like the U.K.?) but you have to have the switch for adjusting the mirrors set to the driver's side for the tilt function to work.

#5. I recall from much earlier posts that U.K. spec cars were not coming with the torch.

As for the first aid kit and triangle, US spec cars do not come with either. Also been discussed much earlier, but I recall guys who did European Delivery having both in Europe but finding them gone upon the car arriving here in the states.

Of course the torch, first aid kit and triangle can all be purchased as accessories from your local BMW dealer....
[snapback]66141[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi,

Yes I have the auto trans and I do at times put it in step-mode to get over the problem, but the new problem is one gets lazy and prefers to let the car to do the work. We're not getting any yonger.

Re the torch (sorry flash-light or is it flash-lite!!!), it's only a small thing but I think it's amazing that the bean counters in Munich will spend more time and money working out the different specs for the different countries. Cut a few cents here and there. How much would it cost for BMW to supply a Flash-Torch. The car itself was expensive enough as it was. Actually, thats a good topic for a new discussion.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

1. It is peppy enough in the 530 but I can see how that might be a problem in a 520. Use DS or M I guess. Or just mash the accelerator - that should do it.

2. There are other screens in there. You have to go into the OBC screen then push the i-drive forward to be able to select another one from the menu along the top. None of them do very much though.

3. Already answered - maybe the 520 doesn't have all the functionality??

4. I never use the automatic setting and the A/C stays off in my car.

5. I have one. Handy at times. Do you have a place to plug it in near the top inside the small partition - there would be 2 prongs (I think).
Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 7 2004, 02:05 PM
[quote name='beewang' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:48 AM'][quote name='IrishEyes' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:31 PM'].................5.
Should there be a torch in the glove-box............
LOL!! A Torch!!?? What are ya??!! Some kind of Pyromaniac??

Or is this part of the Brits English??
i.e.:

Boot= Trunk
Bonnet= Hood
Tyre=Tire
Litre= Liter
Holiday= Vacation
Bloke=Dude
Tube= Subway
Bloody=F*%$ing
Fantastic=Great

Torch=Flashlite??

cheers,

beewang
[snapback]66134[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes Mr Bee.

Torch=Flashlght.
Windscreen= windshield
Saloon=sedan
EstateCar=station wagon

Did you find your torch in the glove box. Quite a neat little thing actually. Always stays charged.

Cheers (also anglo expression)

Hormazd
[snapback]66146[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'll add a couple;

petrol = gas
accident = wreck
loo = toilet
Old 12-07-2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

what about watercloset? (crazy redcoats )
Old 12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Dec 7 2004, 09:49 PM
1. It is peppy enough in the 530 but I can see how that might be a problem in a 520.? Use DS or M I guess.? Or just mash the accelerator - that should do it.

2. There are other screens in there.? You have to go into the OBC screen then push the i-drive forward to be able to select another one from the menu along the top.? None of them do very much though.

3. Already answered - maybe the 520 doesn't have all the functionality??

4. I never use the automatic setting and the A/C stays off in my car.

5. I have one.? Handy at times.? Do you have a place to plug it in near the top inside the small partition - there would be 2 prongs (I think).
[snapback]66189[/snapback]
Hi,

It could be very well down to the 'relative' lack of torque but I think it is more down to the programming of the ECU that is causing it.

Re- the tilt mirrors, I'm led to believe all 5'ers have it but I'll check when I'm out next and set the mirror switch.

I have the a/c off more than on so I would prefer if the default setting was NOT to come on when I start the car. It always comes on and I switch it off, Looks like it cannot be set. Strange one that.

Torch/flashlight would be handy. I can't check now because it's dark outside and I don't have a torch to look. Way hay. I think there is a receptor type thing for two pins that may be on the torch unit itself, but no torch.

cheers
Old 12-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Bokke' date='Dec 7 2004, 04:01 PM
loo = toilet
[snapback]66192[/snapback]
Not to be confused with:
"to let" = "for rent"

Another car themed one:
"panel beater" = "body shop"
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Something wrong with the translation chip here...

Boot= Trunk - No it equals something that belongs to an elephant
Bonnet= Hood - No it equals something that you put over your head
Tyre=Tire - No it equals getting knackered/worn out
Litre= Liter - No it equals poorly spelt rubbish
Holiday= Vacation - No it equals leaving somewhere, ie vacate, not going somewhere ie to a nice place for 3 weeks (sorry stateside you only get 2 days annual leave!)
Bloke=Dude No it equals a good, reliable mate who likes beer (warm) and sexist jokes - think jeremy clarkson

Tube= Subway (subway = underpass)
Bloody=F*%$ing (F*%$ing = F*%?ing)
Fantastic=Great (Great = having raped and pillaged many other countries, ie Fantastic Britain doesn't work)

and another thing - what's all this Brit english - it's english english

jonboy

Torch=Flashlite??
Old 12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

uk car

mirror does not dip when in reverse

obc is very limited , the manual is wrong no timer or distance etc

triangle supplied

torch flash light supplied

first aid kit supplied
Old 12-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by jonboy' date='Dec 7 2004, 04:47 PM
Something wrong with the translation chip here...

Boot= Trunk - No it equals something that belongs to an elephant
Bonnet= Hood - No it equals something that you put over your head
Tyre=Tire - No it equals getting knackered/worn out
Litre= Liter - No it equals poorly spelt rubbish
Holiday= Vacation - No it equals leaving somewhere, ie vacate, not going somewhere ie to a nice place for 3 weeks (sorry stateside you only get 2 days annual leave!)
Bloke=Dude No it equals a good, reliable mate who likes beer (warm) and sexist jokes - think jeremy clarkson

Tube= Subway (subway = underpass)
Bloody=F*%$ing (F*%$ing = F*%?ing)
Fantastic=Great (Great = having raped and pillaged many other countries, ie Fantastic Britain doesn't work)

and another thing - what's all this Brit english - it's english english

jonboy

Torch=Flashlite??
[snapback]66265[/snapback]
LOL!! You crack me up Jonnyboy!!

Have no clue who Jeremy Clarkson is, but why do you call it a 5er, when in reality its a 5 "series"

cheers,

beewang

PS Is that a real city you live at?? Or is that the hallmark of economist "John Maynard Keyes" and "Milton Friedman"

Quick Reply: Questions for the more knowledgeable