E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Questions for the more knowledgeable

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Hi all,

just a few comments and observations after driving the 520 for the last few months.

It appears that the factory shipped ECU settings with auto transmission seems to want to change up to as high a gear as possible, possibly to try and max the fuel mileage rating. In some instances, it seems to like it up there so much that on slowing down, there is no real power to pull away with. Then the ECU seems to sit back, throw its feet up on the table and try to decide what you want to do before changing down. It's not a huge amount of time but enough to cause annoyances especially if there is a really large truck bearing down on you. There is also a frustratingly larger number of speed humps appearing that seems to show the symptoms up. Just wondering if anyone knows of a different engine/gearbox mapping for the ECU.

I don't have NAV on my E60 so on the iDrive main menu screen I get an OBC option. I was expecting somewhat more than a facility for inputting destination miles and counting down from there. I thought there should have been some other functionality such as a journey planner or whatever. Wondering what options other non-NAV forum users have within the OBC menu option.

When reversing, should the two exterior mirrors tilt down to allow you to see what you are reversing against?

On engine starting, the AAC comes on at the same time. If I switch the a/c off and start the car within, say 20-30 minutes, the a/c stays off. However, if I leave it longer, say over-night, the a/c starts again with the engine start. After a short time-out, the default situation seems to be start the a/c whan the engine is started. I would prefer it the other way around. Can it be done?

Should there be a torch in the glove-box.

That it for the moment. I'm sure there'll be more in teh future.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

#3. - on, not both - just the right side mirror - and only if its NOT selected with the switch (the mirror adjust switch) thats ho it is in the US at least.

#5. - i have a flashlight on the left to the flashlight. if flashlight = torch then i guess yes.

HERES A QUESTION TO YOU GUYS:

who all does have a first AID kit & warning Triangle in their trunk mounted tool box thingy deal? because i don't!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:31 PM
Should there be a torch in the glove-box............
LOL!! A Torch!!?? What are ya??!! Some kind of Pyromaniac??

Or is this part of the Brits English??
i.e.:

Boot= Trunk
Bonnet= Hood
Tyre=Tire
Litre= Liter
Holiday= Vacation
Bloke=Dude
Tube= Subway
Bloody=F*%$ing
Fantastic=Great

Torch=Flashlite??

cheers,

beewang
Old 12-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:36 PM
#3. - on, not both - just the right side mirror - and only if its NOT selected with the switch (the mirror adjust switch)? thats ho it is in the US at least.

#5. - i have a flashlight on the left to the flashlight. if flashlight = torch then i guess yes.

who all does have a first AID kit & warning Triangle in their trunk mounted tool box thingy deal?? because i don't!
[snapback]66127[/snapback]
#1. I assume Irisheyes that you have the auto transmission. Have you tried Sport mode or even the Manual mode?

#3. Only the passenger side mirror tilts down (never been to Ireland, but is it right hand drive like the U.K.?) but you have to have the switch for adjusting the mirrors set to the driver's side for the tilt function to work.

#5. I recall from much earlier posts that U.K. spec cars were not coming with the torch.

As for the first aid kit and triangle, US spec cars do not come with either. Also been discussed much earlier, but I recall guys who did European Delivery having both in Europe but finding them gone upon the car arriving here in the states.

Of course the torch, first aid kit and triangle can all be purchased as accessories from your local BMW dealer....
Old 12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by beewang' date='Dec 7 2004, 11:48 AM
[quote name='IrishEyes' date='Dec 7 2004, 12:31 PM'].................5.
Should there be a torch in the glove-box............
LOL!! A Torch!!?? What are ya??!! Some kind of Pyromaniac??

Or is this part of the Brits English??
i.e.:

Boot= Trunk
Bonnet= Hood
Tyre=Tire
Litre= Liter
Holiday= Vacation
Bloke=Dude
Tube= Subway
Bloody=F*%$ing
Fantastic=Great

Torch=Flashlite??

cheers,

beewang
[snapback]66134[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes Mr Bee.

Torch=Flashlght.
Windscreen= windshield
Saloon=sedan
EstateCar=station wagon

Did you find your torch in the glove box. Quite a neat little thing actually. Always stays charged.

Cheers (also anglo expression)

Hormazd
Old 12-07-2004, 10:10 AM
Members

My Ride: Delivered 30/11/04: 535d Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Media Package, Hi-Fi, Rear M Spoiler, Headlamp Washer, Auto dim/folding mirrors, Grad tint screen, Aux input,

That's odd, I have folding mirrors and no matter what position the adjusting switch is in (right or left) my mirror doesn't dip when in reverse.

I was also told that UK cars now did not come with a torch - after picking my jaw off the ground I pinched my old one out of E39 I was trading in

Not that any of this will make you feel better.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

I'm glad I cheered you up somewhat. I shoud have realised that there were other non-english speaking people using the forum. I must pass all my replies through an English-US converter in future. Or maybe you could translate for me!!!!!

Have a good one.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hi Irisheyes,

I can only help with one item, since I don't own a e60.

It only makes sense for the outside mirror to fold, as this helps protect your wheels against curbs and other low objects that are farther away from you. You should be able to judge curbs and other objects on the drivers side more easily and most parking occurs with passenger side being closest to the curb. Only the outside mirror folds in my Audi and this feature is only usesful to me parking in the city.

CVT Benhogan
Old 12-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Senior Members

First aid kit came with mine in Dublin.

Originally Posted by wiszmaster' date='Dec 7 2004, 07:36 PM
#3. - on, not both - just the right side mirror - and only if its NOT selected with the switch (the mirror adjust switch)? thats ho it is in the US at least.

who all does have a first AID kit & warning Triangle in their trunk mounted tool box thingy deal?? because i don't!
[snapback]66127[/snapback]
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributors

I got the first aid kit but no warning triangle in my bootrunk.

Quick Reply: Questions for the more knowledgeable