E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting Car In Drive or Reverse & Stays In Neutral SMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

its happened to me before and here's the way i look at it...

since the smg gear lever is electronic and not mechanical, there is a lag from the time you shift the lever until the system changes gears. if you start to rev after the lever is in R, but the transmission hasn't actually changed to R yet, you'll still be in N. so just wait until you feel the gear (not the lever) click into place and you should be good.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by blackfalcon' post='390607' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:32 AM
It sucks because I only drive her car about once a week, so she's actually smoother about shifting with the SMG. I'm not saying I'm bad by any means, but she complains when I drive that I'm rougher then she is.

I bought the car for her because I wanted a five speed, but we were soon to be expecting our first child, and she didn't want to be driving a five speed, and having to reach for things etc. with the distraction of a kid in the car, so the SMG was a compromise.

As to what has been said. I'm guessing when I've shifted on my own with foot of the brake, I'm doing it rapidly, but when I'm going to pull out of the garage etc. I probably have my foot lifted slightly off the brake and I'm doing it slowly and the car is making the decision not to put itself in gear.

To shift smooth with SMG, follow this procedure:

1. Begin from stop, in 1st gear.

2. Lightly depress accelerator pedal, and pause while car begins to move. By pausing as you accelerate this smooths out your initial movement. You will feel when the clutch has fully disengaged. At this point, you can continue to press the accelerator pedal and go faster.

3. When you are ready to shift, lightly release pressure on the accelerator pedal. They key here is LIGHTLY... Don't move your shoe up from the pedal, but rather lift your foot inside your shoe. I think of it like curling my toes upward so they touch the top of my shoe. This action causes the car's weight to shift forward slightly, taking weight off the rear tires which are the driving tires.

4. Click to shift into 2nd gear.

5. Continue holding your foot in the same position on the accelerator pedal. Do not press down until the gear is changed, and clutch has disengaged.

6. Once clutch has disengaged, you can accelerate again in the next gear.

7. Repeat #3 - 6 through the rest of the gears.

8. Enjoy listening to your wife complain about something other than your SMG skills, for a change.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Members

I have a 2004 530 I just bought from a dealer asnd has had a number of little electrical problems. the latest is the "false reverse" It only does it when cold and when I have to back out of a space. I got from park to R and nothing. I can rev and nothing. I have to shift to N or P and re-enter reverse to finally engage. I think it needs a program upgrade
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Rocket' post='448644' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:18 PM
I have a 2004 530 I just bought from a dealer asnd has had a number of little electrical problems. the latest is the "false reverse" It only does it when cold and when I have to back out of a space. I got from park to R and nothing. I can rev and nothing. I have to shift to N or P and re-enter reverse to finally engage. I think it needs a program upgrade
??? There is no "P" in SMG. You're not talking about the Step Automatic right?

If you do have SMG, just try waiting a split sec after shifting into R before applying throttle. That always works for me.
Like I said, the SMG shifter is electronic so you can move it faster than the gears actually moving into place, which is mechanical. If you want to be sure, wait until you hear the gearbox click into the right gear.