E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Putting Car In Drive or Reverse & Stays In Neutral SMG

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545I SMG. 2006 Nissan Titan SE. 2006 Daytona 675. YZ250F. John Deere 2520.

The wife drives a 545I SMG. I sometimes drive it and I've noticed that I will sometimes shift into first or reverse and give it gas and car will say D or R on the center consol column but the dash will still read N, and the car will rev and stay in neutral.

I though maybe it does this because I maybe didn't have my foot on the brake when I shifted into gear, but I've tried shifting from Neutral into Reverse and Drive without my foot on the brake and it shifts into gear perfectly.

Can someone explain to me why it sometimes will shift on the column but not in the engine or on the dash?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 02-11-2007, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by blackfalcon' post='390305' date='Feb 11 2007, 05:01 PM
The wife drives a 545I SMG. I sometimes drive it and I've noticed that I will sometimes shift into first or reverse and give it gas and car will say D or R on the center consol column but the dash will still read N, and the car will rev and stay in neutral.

I though maybe it does this because I maybe didn't have my foot on the brake when I shifted into gear, but I've tried shifting from Neutral into Reverse and Drive without my foot on the brake and it shifts into gear perfectly.

Can someone explain to me why it sometimes will shift on the column but not in the engine or on the dash?

Thanks,
Adam
Unless I'm rolling slowly I can not shift from n-d-r without having my foot on the brake.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you do it very quickly, you can go from R to D (through N, of course) without using the brake, even if you're stationary. If you don't do it quickly, you have to use the brake. This is by design so that if your stuck in snow or mud, you can rock yourself out of it.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by blackfalcon' post='390305' date='Feb 11 2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks,
Adam
Dumb question (I know), but are you attempting this whith the driver's door open?
Old 02-12-2007, 04:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I don't know what it is..... but there's just something that's so hot about a chick driving an SMG.

Saw a MILF driving an M5 a few days ago, and I was like...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:55 AM
JDN
Contributors

A different problem that I have mastered is trying to get to N to crank. I was giving the stick a slap from 1 to N, and it would often bounce back to 1 and no crankee. Frustrating. The fix was to either be a bit gentler in moving the stick or leave it in R when parked. It moves from R to N easily.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545I SMG. 2006 Nissan Titan SE. 2006 Daytona 675. YZ250F. John Deere 2520.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='390540' date='Feb 12 2007, 08:06 AM
I don't know what it is..... but there's just something that's so hot about a chick driving an SMG.

Saw a MILF driving an M5 a few days ago, and I was like...
It sucks because I only drive her car about once a week, so she's actually smoother about shifting with the SMG. I'm not saying I'm bad by any means, but she complains when I drive that I'm rougher then she is.

I bought the car for her because I wanted a five speed, but we were soon to be expecting our first child, and she didn't want to be driving a five speed, and having to reach for things etc. with the distraction of a kid in the car, so the SMG was a compromise.

As to what has been said. I'm guessing when I've shifted on my own with foot of the brake, I'm doing it rapidly, but when I'm going to pull out of the garage etc. I probably have my foot lifted slightly off the brake and I'm doing it slowly and the car is making the decision not to put itself in gear.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='390422' date='Feb 11 2007, 11:27 PM
Dumb question (I know), but are you attempting this whith the driver's door open?
Lol, no but when I was in college I got to watch I guy I was working with for a landscaping company back out of the company garage with the door open slightly on the truck while he was watching over his shoulder at a trailer. Needless to say the door and garage door track didn't fare that well.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by blackfalcon' post='390305' date='Feb 11 2007, 11:01 PM

Thanks,
Adam

The same happens to my 545i SMG .. I don't know why and neither if it is a fault ...
Old 02-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Members

I have the same thing happen to my fiance's 530i. I didnt believe her until i tried. It would rev, but wouldn't move. And yes, I have also noticed that the car will not move with the door open. I know because I often open the door when parking, as to make sure that I get as close as I can to the curb (to avoid door dings), without curbing the wheels.

Quick Reply: Putting Car In Drive or Reverse & Stays In Neutral SMG