E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put Put Puttering problems (HELP) (transmission gasket?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I bought an 04 BMW 530i (with BMW Certified Series Warranty until March 2010) recently which was well cared for and maintained by a friend's dad. However since I received it, I've noticed that upon acceleration around 15-25 mph, my car seems as if its 'puttering.' I don't know the technical term for this but when you press on the gas, its acceleration doesn't respond in a consistent fashion. The same feeling I had in an old standard car that hasn't been warmed up enough and stalls.

ANYWAYS, I took it to BMW and they 'think' it is a leaky transmission gasket. He then said although the gasket is cheap, the labor is not because we have to pump out the transmission fluid and then replace it with 6L of new ($80 per L) transmission fluid. Bill $1200 CAD. Oh and the Certified series warranty will cover cost of gasket ($12), but no labor/fluids. I topped off the tranny fluid (2L) and said I'd think about it.

I'm not a car expert by all means, but could this actually translate to my puttering problem? If so, should I go ahead and do it?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

$80/litre? wtf?
was the car hessitating to shift or something?
seem fishy.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1038329' date='Oct 22 2009, 01:44 PM
$80/litre? wtf?
was the car hessitating to shift or something?
seem fishy.
I thought so too. The reaction of gas to acceleration is delayed in intervals. (This is where I knew something about cars).
This quote was from a BMW dealership in Richmond B.C. Canada.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Contributors

I just did this last night on my 06 530i. Their pricing is ridiculous.
1st off, they should clearly be able to see if there is a oil leak by the tranny pan.
If there is a leak and all they are doing is changing the seal, they should just reuse the oil.
$80/liter is just ridiculous. I just bought the same for $16/liter (Pentosin, oem oil supplier)
It takes a total of 2 hrs on a lift to do this. It took me 3 hrs because I spent an hr putting the car up on stands.
My cost to do all this including a new pan/filter ($155) was $251 in parts.
Heck, come down, I could do it for 1/2 the $$ .
Good luck.
Raj
Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1038388' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:29 PM
I just did this last night on my 06 530i. Their pricing is ridiculous.
1st off, they should clearly be able to see if there is a oil leak by the tranny pan.
If there is a leak and all they are doing is changing the seal, they should just reuse the oil.
$80/liter is just ridiculous. I just bought the same for $16/liter (Pentosin, oem oil supplier)
It takes a total of 2 hrs on a lift to do this. It took me 3 hrs because I spent an hr putting the car up on stands.
My cost to do all this including a new pan/filter ($155) was $251 in parts.
Heck, come down, I could do it for 1/2 the $$ .
Good luck.
Raj
Raj,

How many liters of trans fluid do you need to do the fluid change?
Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by StasGS4' post='1038478' date='Oct 22 2009, 05:31 PM
Raj,

How many liters of trans fluid do you need to do the fluid change?
5.5 liters for a flush. To make sure that I put in what I got out, I measured it. ZF's method of filling the fluid can leave some room for error. They tell you top off fluid at 35deg C, close filler cap, start car, put AC on, run it thru gears, get it upto 40deg C and then top off the fluid again while the car is running. They specifically tell you not to exceed 50deg C or else the fluid level will go up and in the end you will be low. Ideally, you want to monitor transmission fluid temps while you perform this.
Raj
Old 10-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by appartment46' post='1038308' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I bought an 04 BMW 530i (with BMW Certified Series Warranty until March 2010) recently which was well cared for and maintained by a friend's dad. However since I received it, I've noticed that upon acceleration around 15-25 mph, my car seems as if its 'puttering.' I don't know the technical term for this but when you press on the gas, its acceleration doesn't respond in a consistent fashion. The same feeling I had in an old standard car that hasn't been warmed up enough and stalls.

ANYWAYS, I took it to BMW and they 'think' it is a leaky transmission gasket. He then said although the gasket is cheap, the labor is not because we have to pump out the transmission fluid and then replace it with 6L of new ($80 per L) transmission fluid. Bill $1200 CAD. Oh and the Certified series warranty will cover cost of gasket ($12), but no labor/fluids. I topped off the tranny fluid (2L) and said I'd think about it.

I'm not a car expert by all means, but could this actually translate to my puttering problem? If so, should I go ahead and do it?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Why isn't the leak covered by the CPO warranty? I would fight that, since its drivetrain related. If it were the factory warranty they would fix it no questions asked. Ask to speak to the sales manager.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Members

What you're describing is what I'd call "hesitation" and I also experienced it with my 2004 530i just as you described. However, I took my car to the dealer (out of the warranty period) and they fixed it for free with a software update. Thus, I'd request that your dealer double-check your car to see that it received all the necessary recall/software updates issued by BMW NA.

Also if your problem is truly a leaky gasket, the dealer should be able to show you evidence of the problem (e.g., presurre readings, evidence of leaking near the failed gasket etc.). If you're convinced that it's a gasket issue, I'd take your car to an independent dealer for the repair, as they can perform the labor for far less.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by appartment46' post='1038308' date='Oct 22 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi Guys,

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
im guessing you havent learned about the 25 second trans reset, it might help you... do a search.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

25 second transmission reset: insert the key fob, push the start button without pushing the brakes, then hold the gas pedal down.
After 25-30 seconds remove foot from gas pedal, push the brakes and start the car.

Or if you have a key: Turn the key all the way like you're starting the car but don't put your foot on the brake. Then hold the gas pedal down. After 25-30 seconds remove foot from gas pedal, push the brakes and start the car.

I've read that if you keep the gas pedal down for 35 seconds or longer this procedure won't work.