E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHATS T5HE DIFFERENCE IN TRANS? STEPTRONIC AND MANUAL?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 custom Range Rover, 2005 745li, FULL custom 1950 mercury, chopped and flame throwers, 1930 model A rat rod, nasty little bastard!! soon to be custom bmw 550 all white and black.

Can someone explain to me teh different trans available on the 5 series...
there is a 6 speed manual? and then a 6 speed steptronic? then there is just reg automatic?
im soo confused..
any help? pls
M
Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Why, it "quickly transforms your six-speed automatic transmission to a six-speed manual", of course!

...unless you know a little bit about the difference of power delivery via a torque converter vs. without a torque converter. Then you'll know that the steptronic - aside from it's "paddles" - is really only different from the "regular" automatic in that it is called "steptronic" and possibly some programming. I have not had a chance to check this, but if the two are actually made by different transmission manufacturers, there is a chance they are somewhat different, but if I'm not mistaken all BMWs get their trannies from the same manufacturer - I'm too lazy to google it now, but someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong
Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 custom Range Rover, 2005 745li, FULL custom 1950 mercury, chopped and flame throwers, 1930 model A rat rod, nasty little bastard!! soon to be custom bmw 550 all white and black.

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1037273' date='Oct 21 2009, 02:26 AM
Why, it "quickly transforms your six-speed automatic transmission to a six-speed manual", of course!

...unless you know a little bit about the difference of power delivery via a torque converter vs. without a torque converter. Then you'll know that the steptronic - aside from it's "paddles" - is really only different from the "regular" automatic in that it is called "steptronic" and possibly some programming. I have not had a chance to check this, but if the two are actually made by different transmission manufacturers, there is a chance they are somewhat different, but if I'm not mistaken all BMWs get their trannies from the same manufacturer - I'm too lazy to google it now, but someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong

I def understand that part of it, but how many tranny combos does bmw have on the 5s?
reg manual, then manual steptronic, then auto ? are all the autos steptornic?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by inknu2' post='1037279' date='Oct 21 2009, 03:43 AM
I def understand that part of it, but how many tranny combos does bmw have on the 5s?
reg manual, then manual steptronic, then auto ? are all the autos steptornic?
All steptronics are auto, but not all autos are steptronic, if I'm not mistaken. But in the modern BMWs all automatic transmissions are steptronic. Steptronic is just a term that identifies an automatic transmission that has the option of manual sequential shifting. Not to be confused with an automated manual transmission, such as SMG; or a double-clutch transmission, like the M-DCT - these are not automatic transmissions, even though they do have automatic modes.

It is usually a choice of either a manual, automatic or "sport automatic" on the 5 series in the U.S. There were cars offered with SMG, but now that M-DCT has replaced the SMG, neither is offered on the non M 5er Stateside. The difference between the automatic and sport automatic is in the programming and it might - MIGHT! - be manufactured by a different company than the non-sport "regular" automatic.

My advice to clear up all this confusion: get a manual
Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 PM
Contributors

Correction: In my previous response I implied that paddle-shifters is a feature that comes with a steptronic transmission, which is not true. Paddle-shifters is a feature that is added with the "Sport Automatic Transmission" (which is also a steptronic).
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Members

WHOS ON FIRST? LOL ok im soo confused....
Old 10-21-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Thru 2007 there were 3 choices, Manual, Steptronic auto, & SMG. Steptronic is simply the BMW name for an automatic with sport and manual mode shifting. SMG was a manual transmission with a computer controlled clutch and paddles for shifting.

From 2008 on, the 3 choices are manual, Steptronic auto, and Sport Automatic. Both autos are the same transmission, an updated version of the older Steptronic with an electronic gear shift. The Sport automatic adds paddles and a quicker shifting sport mode.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One feature that the steptronic transmissions are known for is their ability to lock up in every gear. i believe there are also partial lock-up modes and other trickery that makes the latest of these transmission incredibly efficient, smooth and responsive when compared to a typical automatic.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Members

The Sport Auto only uses the torque converter in first gear. Once the car is moving the shifts are direct locking. In comparison, the steptronic is a well-programmed automatic transmission that uses the torque converter for every shift, like any other regular automatic. Both of these auto boxes have a "manual mode" where the driver can hold the transmission on a gear and tell it when to shift.

I have a manual even though I know that the automatics are technically faster shifting. I like shifting with a clutch, to me its more fun.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by bloomjbmw' post='1038398' date='Oct 22 2009, 03:39 PM
The Sport Auto only uses the torque converter in first gear. Once the car is moving the shifts are direct locking...

Are you sure? This is the first time I hear this.

Quick Reply: WHATS T5HE DIFFERENCE IN TRANS? STEPTRONIC AND MANUAL?