E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problems already with new stick shift on my 535xi 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='488058' date='Oct 30 2007, 07:15 PM

(I'm sorry folks...)
You get an "A" for the effort Rudy!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='488062' date='Oct 30 2007, 08:19 PM
You get an "A" for the effort Rudy!
So that I can earn the A+, I'm going to try to explain what's going on here...

slickrick had some problems with his car and BMW ended up buying it back. He now has an entirely different car than the one this post was created for. Like a dummy, I thought it would be a good idea to combine a minor problem I was having with my shifter with this thread since it might help track issues with the new shifter (in case others begin to have these problems.)

What ended up happening was that everyone is now curious to know if slickrick's car was fixed. Unfortunately he doesn't have it anymore so I don't think anyone can answer that question...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Thanks Rudy, I did not know this was going on. I started laughing when I read it. Like Rudy said BMW NA bought my car back because the amount of problems I had and my persistent stance on the issues. I was able to order a new 535xi and it took 2 months from start date to delivery. They took the other car back and I took delivery all over again of the new ordered car. I hope that clears some of the confusion.

Thanks Guys, especially Rudy for trying to clarify things.

Rick...
Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Space Gray PP, Nav, Xenons, Comfort seats, Heated front seats, Comfort Access, HD radio, Sat radio. M-technic aerodynamic package, BMW CF front spliters, BMW CF rear valance, Dinan Stage II software, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan CF rear strut brace.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='487627' date='Oct 29 2007, 09:24 PM
I haven't had any issues with not being able to move the shifter, etc. but I do have an intermittent problem that is not really a big deal -- at least for me.

On my SAT, I pretty much always use the manual mode (shift lever moved to the left gate). As most of you with LCI cars know, when you press the "P" button to put the transmission in park, the car will electronically shift the transmission and, if the lever is still in the left gate, it will mechanically move the lever over to the right to put it back in the "main" gate.

Once every so often, my lever will not move back to the main gate automatically -- even though the transmission ends up in park. You can see and hear the lever trying to move but it eventually gives up. When this happens, I can easily move the lever to the right -- there's nothing stopping it or otherwise causing it to jam. I'm thinking the actuator or whatever it is that causes the thing to move is weak and unable to overcome the small amount of resistance that is normally there when you move from left to right...
I have the same problem. It started at about 8k mi. I'll get it fixed at my first BMW-paid oil change at @17k. Should be an easy fix, but please keep us posted on your situation.

jr

2008 535i Space Grey/Grey leather PP, Comfort Seats, Nav, Heated Front Seats, Power Shades, HD Radio, Sirius, Xenons
Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bims&beams' post='488941' date='Nov 2 2007, 07:24 AM
I have the same problem. It started at about 8k mi. I'll get it fixed at my first BMW-paid oil change at @17k. Should be an easy fix, but please keep us posted on your situation.

jr

2008 535i Space Grey/Grey leather PP, Comfort Seats, Nav, Heated Front Seats, Power Shades, HD Radio, Sirius, Xenons
I talked to my mechanic about it yesterday and he said he's already replaced one shifter in another car for the same thing mine is doing. He even decscribed the exact problem I'm seeing before I could finish telling him all my details. He said it's an easy fix...
Old 11-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545 - Black/Black, Sport Package, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Navigation.

Hi All,
I have a 08 550i with just 800 miles on it. I also have a problem with the shifter where the car will not shift into reverse. I have to play with the shifter for a good number of times by shifting into drive, park and turning the car off before it will shift into reverse. I took it to the dealer for repair and the dealer tells me that he does not know when he can get the parts necessary for repairing the problem because the parts are on ?international backorder.? The car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now.
Does anyone know how long I should be waiting till I start to demand BMW buy this car back? How long till this car is considered a lemon according to NY lemon laws?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gregi30' post='492625' date='Nov 10 2007, 11:30 AM
Hi All,
I have a 08 550i with just 800 miles on it. I also have a problem with the shifter where the car will not shift into reverse. I have to play with the shifter for a good number of times by shifting into drive, park and turning the car off before it will shift into reverse. I took it to the dealer for repair and the dealer tells me that he does not know when he can get the parts necessary for repairing the problem because the parts are on "international backorder." The car has been at the dealer for 3 weeks now.
Does anyone know how long I should be waiting till I start to demand BMW buy this car back? How long till this car is considered a lemon according to NY lemon laws?
Thanks in advance for all the help.
If it?s three weeks already, you should call BMW customer service and tell them that you have had a vehicle off the road for almost a month and want to discuss a buyback.

Lemon law is 30 days in NY AFAIK.

BMW will not allow you to get to the point of lemoning the car btw if you call them as that marks the car.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I think this is the SIB for this issue:

SI B 25 02 07
Gear Shift Mechanism November 2007
Technical Service

Similar information may be found in Service Information bulletin SI B24 19 07 dated November 2007.

SUBJECT
Diagnostic for GWS Faults - Drive Position "D" Cannot be Engaged

MODEL
E60, E61 with 6HP19TU or 6HP26TU transmissions

Vehicles produced from 02/25/07 up to 09/01/07

SITUATION
The customer complains that after the engine has started or during parking maneuvers, the drive position "D" cannot be engaged using the GWS (Gear Selector Switch).

The DIS/GT1 diagnostic short test finds fault codes ("currently not present") stored in the GWS Gear Selector Switch (A838, A830, A82A) or in the EGS transmission control module (51A.

None of customer's complaints can be reproduced in the workshop or during test drives.

CAUSES

The customer is not familiar with GWS operation (incorrect driver usage).

In certain cases there may be a possible hardware fault in the GWS shifter.

CORRECTION
The following fault codes description provides helpful diagnostic hints when dealing with GWS related complaints on E6X 6HP19TU/6HP26TU equipped vehicles:

A838 "Play protection blocking active". This fault is set when a lock button is pressed and released numerous times (more than 20 times during a 40 seconds time period with KL15 on). After the fault is set, the locking function does not work ? the shifter can be moved forwards and backwards without pressing the unlock button. D or R is not engaged. The transmission stays in Park.

A830 "Resetting system faulty". This fault is set if the GWS shifter cannot return from the steptronic gate (left position) to the middle position when P is selected. The main reason for this fault is a mechanical blockage. If the shifter is being manually held to the left while the P button is pressed, after five return attempts the A830 fault will be set with the P indicator flashing. Also, this fault may occur under extreme environmental conditions: extremely high or low ambient temperatures; under voltage conditions; or due to incorrect installation (excessive pressure from the shift gate bezel on the shifter disc).

A82A "Parking button faulty". This fault is set when the P button is pressed very slowly, and/or the button is not fully depressed.

51AB "EGS incorrect signal from GWS: P button". A fault is stored in the EGS module when the GWS fault code A82A was present (see above). Continue diagnosis in the GWS shifter test plan.

If all four faults are stored, then there is a strong indication that the customer is not fully familiar with the GWS operation strategy. For example: when performing a "three point turn" parking maneuver, the customer needs to move the GWS shifter from the steptronic gate (if driving in the sport or manual mode) to the center position prior to engaging the R or D gears. In such a situation, the customer needs to be advised on the proper operation of the GWS shifter.

Important Note:

Please remind the customer that the drive position D or R gear request from the GWS shifter will be ignored (the transmission will stay in Park) if the driver's door is not fully closed and the driver's seat belt is not latched. Also, if the driver were to leave the vehicle with the engine running with drive position D or R selected, the automatic transmission would automatically shift into the park position P.

This is a built-in safety feature of the EGS/GWS, not a system malfunction.

When diagnosing any GWS related complaint or fault always perform all applicable steps of the DIS/GT1 test plan module B5116_GWSPER_E6.

The GWS should only be replaced when prompted by the DIS/GT1 test plans and after careful evaluation of the all GWS faults stored.

PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number
Description
Quantity

61 31 9 165 669
GWS for vehicles with auto transmission (option code S205)

61 31 9 165 671
GWS for vehicles with sport auto transmission (option code S2TBA)

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances.

If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code
25 16 08 66 00

and a clean copy here - SIB_250207.pdf

I don't want to muddy the waters even more but there is another new SIB on the new SAT Paddle shifters. I'll post that in a new thread.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

A830 "Resetting system faulty". This fault is set if the GWS shifter cannot return from the steptronic gate (left position) to the middle position when P is selected. The main reason for this fault is a mechanical blockage. If the shifter is being manually held to the left while the P button is pressed, after five return attempts the A830 fault will be set with the P indicator flashing. Also, this fault may occur under extreme environmental conditions: extremely high or low ambient temperatures; under voltage conditions; or due to incorrect installation (excessive pressure from the shift gate bezel on the shifter disc).
The above is what was happening to my car from time to time. I never had any of the other faults and because this fault isn't something caused by user error, the dealer replaced the shifter. Also, it seemed as if my shifter was causing the car to not go into sleep mode (or at least that's the current theory) so replacing one part may have solved two problems I was having...