E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help regarding 2004 545

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 (7/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Metallic Silver Gray with Gray Interior Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Active Steering, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Shades, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, HUD, Rear Side Airbags, PDC, Bluetooth Retrofit Exterior: Venture Clear Bra, Bright Angel Eyes, Euro Reflectors, Blackened Grill, VMR 713 19" Staggered with General UHPs, 13% tint rear windows Engine: K&N Air Filter, Deleted Carbon Filter , RPI Scoop, RPI Exhaust

Hi There
I have recently got my first ever BMW which is a 2004 545i 6M. e
She is incredible, it handles superb and very fast.

For the last 4 hours I have been reading the forum how ever I still have some questions and need clarifications

1. I have not find my stop-and-go traffic driving position with the seat. It gets really uncomfortable after a while. I need to sit a little back, I am a tip-toe gas paddle driver, but then I cannot press the clutch as much as it needs. Any one else have this problem?

2. I guess my car has BT then I just need to ask to my dealer to enable the the BT with SW upgrade, right ?

3. Having issue with the gas cap warning, dealer try to fix it with SW update but it did not help... Anyone else sharing this mystery?

4. I should get rid of the Run flats and replace them with Conti's or PZeros.. 18" or 19"

5. Unclear benefit for Dinan Stage 1, for 1/2 second different , does it worth?

6. Any one try the short throw kit Rouge engineering>

7. There is really no solution for ECU update

8. Is Sirius add-on possible, any one got it? How much does it cost with installation. I dont think my car is wired for that.

Cheers and thanks for your answeres

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 (10/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Silver Gray Stock (so far)
Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Seats, Comfort Seats, Read heated seats, HUD, Rear Airbags, PDC

Exterior: Venture Clear Bra.

Thinking : DINAN Stage1, 19" BBS Wheels & Tires, Red Deflectors, New Grill, Possible Tint,
Old 11-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by leventor' post='494543' date='Nov 15 2007, 10:22 AM
2. I guess my car has BT then I just need to ask to my dealer to enable the the BT with SW upgrade, right ?
You can enable it by yourself, through the iDrive
(double click on the main manu)

4. I should get rid of the Run flats and replace them with Conti's or PZeros.. 18" or 19"
Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Old 11-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 (7/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Metallic Silver Gray with Gray Interior Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Active Steering, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Shades, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, HUD, Rear Side Airbags, PDC, Bluetooth Retrofit Exterior: Venture Clear Bra, Bright Angel Eyes, Euro Reflectors, Blackened Grill, VMR 713 19" Staggered with General UHPs, 13% tint rear windows Engine: K&N Air Filter, Deleted Carbon Filter , RPI Scoop, RPI Exhaust

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='494550' date='Nov 15 2007, 01:32 AM
You can enable it by yourself, through the iDrive
(double click on the main manu)
I dont have that option I guess that is why I need the SW upgrade
Old 11-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Congratulations on your first BMW!

I've added some comments in red below to some of your questions...

Originally Posted by leventor' post='494543' date='Nov 15 2007, 04:22 AM
Hi There

For the last 4 hours I have been reading the forum how ever I still have some questions and need clarifications

1. I have not find my stop-and-go traffic driving position with the seat. It gets really uncomfortable after a while. I need to sit a little back, I am a tip-toe gas paddle driver, but then I cannot press the clutch as much as it needs. Any one else have this problem?
It sounds like you're trying to do the impossible here. If you're a "tip-toe" gas pedal driver, then I don't know how you could adjust a seat to allow you to depress the clutch pedal fully. I'd say you're going to need to break your habits and learn to sit properly in the car.

BT can be enabled via software only if your car was produced on or after 3/2004. If your car was built before then, you'll need more than software.

3. Having issue with the gas cap warning, dealer try to fix it with SW update but it did not help... Anyone else sharing this mystery?
Maybe there's something wrong with the gas cap? I'd let the dealer continue to sort this one out...

Ditching the runflats is an individual choice. Many people have done so and enjoy the improved ride but others feel that keeping the runflats offers additional safety and piece of mind. Keep reading the Parts, Accessories, and Mods forum for plenty of information on tire and wheel changes.

Don't know.

Don't know.

Not sure what you're asking.

8. Is Sirius add-on possible, any one got it? How much does it cost with installation. I dont think my car is wired for that.
If your car isn't pre-wired, it's much more difficult but I think it's still been done by some members here. Again, search the forums and you'll find more information.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='494615' date='Nov 15 2007, 06:43 AM
Congratulations on your first BMW!

I've added some comments in red below to some of your questions...

rudy thanks for your time and answers,

regarding the seating position, I am working on breaking the habits.... but it is hard.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hahah rudy's answer to your question 1 was pretty much what I thought... you should attend a Driving school and they'll really yell at you.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04' 530i Sport/premium/cold wx/PDC/xenon.

Originally Posted by leventor' post='494543' date='Nov 15 2007, 04:22 AM
Hi There

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 (10/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Silver Gray Stock (so far)
Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Seats, Comfort Seats, Read heated seats, HUD, Rear Airbags, PDC

Exterior: Venture Clear Bra.

Thinking : DINAN Stage1, 19" BBS Wheels & Tires, Red Deflectors, New Grill, Possible Tint,
Since I have no real expertise in this area, fell free to totally disregard this advice.

As for the driving position, I have consistently been instructed to do the following in my driving school experience:
1) position the seat so that your wrists rest comfortably at the top of the steering wheel while your shoulders remain against the seat back.
2) you should be able to 'fully' depress the clutch with your right foot, and not have your knee 'locked' (straight).

As for the 'runflats', I have switched to two sets of tires/wheels, one performance summer tire (Kumho), and one performance snow tire (Dunlop), and I am very happy with the arrangement.

I am also looking for a short shift kit for this car, but have made no decision yet.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Piloti' post='495446' date='Nov 16 2007, 10:52 PM
As for the driving position, I have consistently been instructed to do the following in my driving school experience:
1) position the seat so that your wrists rest comfortably at the top of the steering wheel while your shoulders remain against the seat back.
2) you should be able to 'fully' depress the clutch with your right foot, and not have your knee 'locked' (straight).
Exactly right...
Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

One thing I question on... fully engage the clutch with the right foot? or you mean left foot?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='495479' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:42 AM
One thing I question on... fully engage the clutch with the right foot? or you mean left foot?
Ooops! I guess I take back the word "exactly" then...

Quick Reply: Need some help regarding 2004 545