E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

price of nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='239072' date='Feb 12 2006, 08:53 PM
Everyone I know with kids will NOT buy cars with rear side airbags. There have been big debates on rear side airbags and their safety with kids. All I know is that my friends do want rear side airbags because of their kids.
I accept that, but it depends on the age of your kids. Mine are almost adult-size.

In any case, my point was not intended to be that specific. All I meant was that, for most buyers of 2nd-hand cars, there will be a killer feature. It may be Nav. But it may equally be rear airbags - or no rear airbags.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='239072' date='Feb 12 2006, 03:53 PM
Everyone I know with kids will NOT buy cars with rear side airbags. There have been big debates on rear side airbags and their safety with kids. All I know is that my friends do want rear side airbags because of their kids.
I remember that one of the dealers that I went to told me that the buyer needs to sign some kind of agreement if he/she buys the side airbag option on the rear seats. Is this true?

It didn't matter to me since I didn't buy this option since I have little kids but as I recall, BMW needed the buyer to sign some kind of a legal form when this option is ordered.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone

No offense, but threads like this crack me up! This debate could be had over any optional equipment in any car. Will I get my money back on the Logic7 system when I resell my car? What about PDC, or heated seats, etc., etc., etc. ? Will I get a high resale price on my 545 to justify the higher cost than the 530? Just determine what you want, and go for it. You cannot justify every little detail based on resale because in reality you don't know what the market will be when you sell. Don't forget that in the meantime, you get enjoyment out of these equipment options. Personally, I decided I really had to have the BMW nav. It is my first experience with Nav, so I don't know how it compares to after market systems. I suspect those systems may actually be better. But I will never find out, because I am happy with what I have! Well, at least until BMW comes out with their new and improved Nav!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Yep, w/ Doug on this one. I will absolutely NOT consider buying a 60K+ car w/o NAV integrated. Actually, I won't consider buying any car w/o NAV.

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='238964' date='Feb 12 2006, 12:19 PM
I would not buy any car without Navigation. In terms of resale, navigation is going to make or break deals down the road, because Navigation systems will become standard on more and more cars. So, when you go to sell your car down the road, you will take a hit if it does not have navigation. Yes, the navigation system will be dated down the road, but it will still work, it will still give directions, it will still be integrated with the car, and will have value because of all the aforementioned facts.

So, is Nav an expensive option, yes. Worth it, ABSOLUTELY!
Old 02-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Please don't buy after market NAV system, it save you few hundred bucks, but it looks really cheap when you attach it in the car. :thumbsdown:
Old 02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='239441' date='Feb 13 2006, 05:45 PM
Please don't buy after market NAV system, it save you few hundred bucks, but it looks really cheap when you attach it in the car. :thumbsdown:
I can't argue with that, except to say that some installations look a whole lot better than others. I certainly wouldn't use a windscreen sucker, and it's easy to hide the power cable.

I wonder how many of the people who criticise third-party GPS on grounds of appearance are quite happy to install dash-mounted speed camera detectors? A GPS unit with integrated speed camera database doesn't look any worse. And if it happens to function as a phone and/or pda too, maybe even a digital mapping device, then taking it with you when leaving the car is no hardship.

Keep in mind that pricing of most options in UK is pound for dollar; 1800 dollars for Nav in the US, 1800 pounds in the UK (or thereabouts). That's a rip-off. Add to that the failure to support full UK postcodes, unlike the cheapest after-market systems, and nothing would induce me to buy it, even if only on principle.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Members

Well, I'm happy to be a man without principles! I hate paying for something when I can get the alternative cheaper elsewhere. However, I have the BMW Nav. Only the Business one. But it's fantastic. I'm in and out of the car all day, and I use it a lot. I know the address of my destination, I rarely know the postcode! I would not cope with having to unplug and hide a Garmin/TomTom unit - for the same reason I have a Bluetooth phone. Come to think of it, DaveH, you could buy a car without audio and use your iPaq as an MP3 player too!