E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

price of nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by browellm' post='238914' date='Feb 12 2006, 03:22 PM
You contradicted yourself when you said "nav hasn't fundamentaly changed".
What I meant was that BMW nav hasn't fundametally changed. The maps have been updated but the underlying system is pretty much the same. I imagine they'll be able to add a few enhancements through s/w (maybe 7-digit postcode), but I can't see them being able to keep up with significant industry developments, even if only because of the limitations of the iDrive chip. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='238931' date='Feb 12 2006, 04:08 PM
What I meant was that BMW nav hasn't fundametally changed. The maps have been updated but the underlying system is pretty much the same. I imagine they'll be able to add a few enhancements through s/w (maybe 7-digit postcode), but I can't see them being able to keep up with significant industry developments, even if only because of the limitations of the iDrive chip. I'd be happy to be proved wrong, though!
It's odd that none of the Germans implement 7-digit codes. It says more about what they are prepared to pay Navteq than anything else.

Don't know what you mean about an i-drive "chip". I-drive is a customised version of Win CE for Autos, so I would imagine it would be a fairly flexible upgrasde path depending on the developers and the cpu they decide tp put in the CCC.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' post='238933' date='Feb 12 2006, 04:14 PM
It's odd that none of the Germans implement 7-digit codes. It says more about what they are prepared to pay Navteq than anything else.

Don't know what you mean about an i-drive "chip". I-drive is a customised version of Win CE for Autos, so I would imagine it would be a fairly flexible upgrasde path depending on the developers and the cpu they decide tp put in the CCC.
You're right, seems very odd. Maybe they're just jealous of the UK postcode system and don't want us to be able to benefit from it. Or perhaps the DVD doesn't have enough capacity. Saab and Honda have 7-digit on 2006 cars but not earlier. I'm pretty sure it's still 4-digit on Lexus. Can't speak for any of the others.

I didn't know custom Win CE was used. All I meant by "chip" was that, from what I've read here, the whole system slows down when you add nav, so presumably the processor isn't up to the job and couldn't cope with significant additional functionality or even a more advanced version of CE. No?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be delivered 523iA

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='238901' date='Feb 12 2006, 03:57 PM
Ah, but who in 4 years' time will want a 4-yr-old car with 7-yr-old nav? (Nav hasn't fundamentally changed since the E60 was introduced - it doesn't even let you type in a UK 7-digit postcode). Won't it look as antiquated as a 7-yr-old laptop running W98 does today - slow, crude interface, poor graphics, etc.?

I disagree. Recently I bought a four year old E39 530i for my wife with the "old" nav pro system. With a current data CD, it still gets the work done, and is pretty well integrated (both form factor and functionality, e.g. voice control). I agree that it's kind of slow and it looks a bit dated, but we simply wouldn't have bought the car without one.

What I would really want is a way to upgrade the built-in system easily. And, imagine that for the E39, to some degree you actually can (at least that's what I am reading on the net): you can simply replace the nav unit in the trunk with the latest avalable version. Cost is another story, but there's always Ebay
Old 02-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

I would not buy any car without Navigation. In terms of resale, navigation is going to make or break deals down the road, because Navigation systems will become standard on more and more cars. So, when you go to sell your car down the road, you will take a hit if it does not have navigation. Yes, the navigation system will be dated down the road, but it will still work, it will still give directions, it will still be integrated with the car, and will have value because of all the aforementioned facts.

So, is Nav an expensive option, yes. Worth it, ABSOLUTELY!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Members

I didn't say don't buy nav, simply that many people are better off with an independent system. Here are some of the reasons (not an exhaustive list, just off the top of my head.

Disadvantages of independent:
Not integrated with dashboard or sound system
Hassle of taking it with you or risking theft
Smaller display

Advantages:
Vastly superior interface, especially for casual users (touch-screen, 7-digit postcode....)
Can plan a route before getting in the car
Can swap it between cars
Can take it with you (on holiday to use in a rental car, on a bike ride, up a mountain....)
Can add POI databases such as speed cameras
Can replace it inexpensively, as the technology improves
Can use it as a multi-function device (see below)
Doesn't impact iDrive performance

But many of us can ignore that lot. It comes down to cost. Best part of ?2000 for Pro Nav or ?200-?350 for a TomTom One, Garmin nuvi or TomTom 700 (the 700 is ?343 from Tesco until Tuesday, I think).

Sure, in 4 years' time, most new cars will have sat nav as standard....but most 4-year-old cars won't. Some, like F?nfer, will choose their 4-year-old car because it has sat nav, and there's nothing wrong with that. Others will have different priorities (rear air bags, isofix...) or prefer to spend ?200 or so on a bang-up-to-date after-market system.

Here's an option I'm considering - a PDA with built-in GPS like the iPAQ hw6515. That way, in one pocketable unit, I'll have phone, pda and sat nav, and be able to add digital mapping from (probably) www.memory-map.co.uk for when I'm as far away from a road as I can get. And what will be in the other pocket? A fat wad of money!

If you like the great outdoors and use large-scale maps, try the memory-map download. You'll be amazed at what it can do. They even offer marine charts and GoogleMap-style overlayable satellite imagery.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='238285' date='Feb 11 2006, 08:42 AM
the price of sat nav on a e60 is a complete rip off, considering you never get the value back on resale and that you can buy a portable unit for less than ?200 surely these option have to drop
Indeed, SatNav option is really expensive but you can have it with Head-up display and TMC : It's more than amazing like this. Nevertheless, you are right saying "value never gets back". In fact, the problem is that without Nav an E60 will not be sold at all on the second hand market !!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by PalmAgora' post='238993' date='Feb 12 2006, 06:22 PM
In fact, the problem is that without Nav an E60 will not be sold at all on the second hand market !!
Can't agree. They'll sell for a little less, but they'll sell. The majority of E60s are still leaving the factory without nav. In a few years time, a lot of people will be only too happy to buy a used car without nav, saving a few hundred pounds, and add their own up-to-date after-market system.

You have lots of expensive options on your car, but no one with kids will buy it, with or without nav, because it doesn't have isofix mountings or rear air bags.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

i guess i will have to scrap my car in 2 years time then,,, oh well never mind.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='239002' date='Feb 12 2006, 10:38 AM
Can't agree. They'll sell for a little less, but they'll sell. The majority of E60s are still leaving the factory without nav. In a few years time, a lot of people will be only too happy to buy a used car without nav, saving a few hundred pounds, and add their own up-to-date after-market system.

You have lots of expensive options on your car, but no one with kids will buy it, with or without nav, because it doesn't have isofix mountings or rear air bags.
Everyone I know with kids will NOT buy cars with rear side airbags. There have been big debates on rear side airbags and their safety with kids. All I know is that my friends do want rear side airbags because of their kids.

Quick Reply: price of nav