E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-LCI Business Navi upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by neo_andersson' post='533938' date='Feb 21 2008, 02:54 PM
Hi! Any progress on this topic? Does anybody know how to upgrade pre-LCI to display 2D maps?
I went to my dealer and they did an update to the iDrive. I do have now the version with the silver "i" button in the main screen but there is no 2D map in the navigation menu. They told me is the latest version they have but they have no clue if it is possible to enable the 2D map display on an pre-LCI.
Only possible upgrade path is hardware change. I just recently saw LCI CCC in German eBay and seller said that he tried to install it pre-LCI car without success. I believe that same applies to business navigation units: LCI version is not compatible with pre-LCI.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vesil' post='534037' date='Feb 21 2008, 01:12 PM
Only possible upgrade path is hardware change. I just recently saw LCI CCC in German eBay and seller said that he tried to install it pre-LCI car without success. I believe that same applies to business navigation units: LCI version is not compatible with pre-LCI.

I have contacted BMW Customer Service in UK asking them if there is any posibility to upgrade in order to enable the 2D map on business nav pre-LCI.

Here is the email i sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I own a BMW 5 Series Saloon (E60) manufactured in
February 2007.
My car has Business Navigation which at that time
included only the arrow view. I saw that on the LCI models manufactured
after March 2007, the Business Navigation includes also the 2D map
display.
My question is : How can I upgrade my nav system in
order to enable the 2D map display feature?

I am looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Here is the reply i got:

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your swift response.

Please be advised that the latest navigation disc available is BMW
Navigation Business 2008-1.

For your convenience we have attached an extract from the operating
instructions. Perspective view should be selected instead of Arrow view
as detailed below.

We hope this is of use, and if we can be of any further assistance
please feel free to contact us using the details below.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Simon xxxxxxx
Product Information Advisor
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

Does anybody have Europe 2008-1 Business DVD? It seams that the upgrade is performed by the nav disc. Can anybody confirm this?
I checked with my dealer and he claims that the latest Business Nav DVD is version 2007-2 which i have and does not display any maps.Only the aroow view....
Old 03-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530iA, 2004

Originally Posted by neo_andersson' post='535470' date='Feb 24 2008, 11:43 PM
I have contacted BMW Customer Service in UK asking them if there is any posibility to upgrade in order to enable the 2D map on business nav pre-LCI.

Here is the email i sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I own a BMW 5 Series Saloon (E60) manufactured in
February 2007.
My car has Business Navigation which at that time
included only the arrow view. I saw that on the LCI models manufactured
after March 2007, the Business Navigation includes also the 2D map
display.
My question is : How can I upgrade my nav system in
order to enable the 2D map display feature?

I am looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Here is the reply i got:

Dear Mr xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your swift response.

Please be advised that the latest navigation disc available is BMW
Navigation Business 2008-1.

For your convenience we have attached an extract from the operating
instructions. Perspective view should be selected instead of Arrow view
as detailed below.

We hope this is of use, and if we can be of any further assistance
please feel free to contact us using the details below.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Simon xxxxxxx
Product Information Advisor
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA

Tel: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Email: customer.information@bmw.co.uk

Does anybody have Europe 2008-1 Business DVD? It seams that the upgrade is performed by the nav disc. Can anybody confirm this?
I checked with my dealer and he claims that the latest Business Nav DVD is version 2007-2 which i have and does not display any maps.Only the aroow view....
Any news?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I think this has been tried and it doesn't work. The feature works only with the new hardware and the new maps. The new maps on the old hardware even with the latest PROGMAN does not display the maps.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530iA, 2004

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='553340' date='Mar 30 2008, 11:52 PM
I think this has been tried and it doesn't work. The feature works only with the new hardware and the new maps. The new maps on the old hardware even with the latest PROGMAN does not display the maps.
What about this comments from PoleApart:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry548381

Is it applicable only for tha cars from 2005?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Recap:
there are two main types of navi and two types of business:

business
pre-LCI, one drive in the centre console and arrows in the screen with traffic info in text
post-LCI, one drive in the centre console and 2D map in the screen with traffic info in tiny icons

professional, two drives in the centre console and map plus 3D in the screen traffic info in the map and POI addition through some work with your computer and downloadable files and such.

Business and professional DVD's do not mix. However, Post and Pre- LCI both work with the same DVD.

so the business DVD contains map data but the Pre-LCI doesn't do anything with that.

Questions:
- is the pre- and post business type using the same screen? so can the pre LCI show the map at all or is it a different resolution/color etc
- if the above is a 'yes', then is it a matter of switching the navi computer like was possible with the E39.

Personal opinion:
I drive a pre-LCI currently and am not happy with the navigation. Especially because of the dynamic mode combined with the arrows-only is impractical and the switching between arrow and other i-drive information is a drag. I drove the post-lci and expected a lot better but the tiny map didn't add much. yes, more of the route is visible but most extra data (like traffic info) is impossible to interpret. The added preset buttons don't work for switching to the map/arrow view so they are pointless to me.

So my advice will be not to take the navigation when you buy new or not worry about it when it's not in a used car. And buy a similar sized separate and more up-to-date device to put next to it. Brings back the cockpit feel of the earlier BMW's. it's faster and has more options. Link to the car's mute is possible but for me not an issue: I never what that voice to repeat all the time what i already know from a quick glance on the screen so I'll be fine without it.
Leaves the drive free for and MP3 DVD while still muting when a call comes in.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d

Originally Posted by Rauan' post='553518' date='Mar 31 2008, 12:48 PM
What about this comments from PoleApart:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry548381

Is it applicable only for tha cars from 2005?
Polepart comment in practice:

Cars with business navigation pre 3/2005 needs PROGMAN update for road map DVD 06/01 or later. I do not know if PRO version has similar issues.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Thats correct, the Business Nav needed to be upgraded in order for it to recognise the map disc, not display the maps as his post suggests. I don't believe the Pro had this issue, or I've not heard of it.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMDiesel' post='553537' date='Mar 31 2008, 07:42 AM
So my advice will be not to take the navigation when you buy new or not worry about it when it's not in a used car. And buy a similar sized separate and more up-to-date device to put next to it. Brings back the cockpit feel of the earlier BMW's. it's faster and has more options. Link to the car's mute is possible but for me not an issue: I never what that voice to repeat all the time what i already know from a quick glance on the screen so I'll be fine without it.
Leaves the drive free for and MP3 DVD while still muting when a call comes in.
Couldn't disagree more. The post LCI business nav is excellent. The screen is bigger than any aftermarket product and works very well. Even better, in the UK it is currently available for only 350 GBP including 6 disc multichanger. It provides all features I need from a satnav, apart from speed cameras, but that's not available on professional anyway. I certainly would not spend 2,600 GBP on professional satnav if I could get business nav for anything less than 1,000 GBP, there are just not sufficient benefits.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by timbob' post='554180' date='Apr 1 2008, 05:37 PM
Couldn't disagree more. The post LCI business nav is excellent. The screen is bigger than any aftermarket product and works very well. Even better, in the UK it is currently available for only 350 GBP including 6 disc multichanger. It provides all features I need from a satnav, apart from speed cameras, but that's not available on professional anyway. I certainly would not spend 2,600 GBP on professional satnav if I could get business nav for anything less than 1,000 GBP, there are just not sufficient benefits.
350 GBP = 445 euro, that is definitely worth it. A serious separate nav will cost around the same including building it all in a proper way into the car.

What I base my 'not worth it' on:
Currently I use the pre-LCI business daily and the post-LCI was only one day.
Professional in a package is 4600 euro
Business in a package is 2000 euro

Couldn't find business separately. upgrade to business looks like 450 euro but my browser didn't cooperate with the configurator. so am not sure about that.

So good thing they got rid of the pre-LCI business nav.

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI Business Navi upgrade