E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Possible ABS Trifecta issue - Need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i
Model Year: 2004
Default Possible ABS Trifecta issue - Need help!!!!!

Hey guys, I need some advice, I'm officially out of ideas. FYI I have a 2004 545i with sports package.

Ok let's start with the "ABS Trifecta issue", I've been reading quite a bit about this topic. To my understanding the trifecta issue occurs when your ABS light (in yellow), Dynamic Stability light (exclamation withing a triangle with a circular arrow, in yellow) and Brake light (in YELLOW) shows up on your dash.

Note: my error is a little different because my Brake light is not in yellow but in RED.

When it started?
- I took my car in to get it inspected (state inspection), Pep Boys failed me cuz my front left and rear right tires were not within the passing range. Ok fine, I needed to get this test done cuz it was a little overdue and I park on the streets on NYC (the meter maids are relentless). I wanted to get all season tires so I had to special order them and I have some old tires that aren't in bad shape. I figure I'd put those on get it inspected and when the new ones get there, i'll install them. Long story short, i got it inspected and all was fine until the ride home I got a bunch of error lights on my dash, i'll list them below:
1. ABS - in yellow
2. Driving Stability - in yellow
3. Brake - in red
4. Active Steering - in yellow

....on my I-drive I get Active Steering malfunction and Driving Stability malfunction.

The errors would not go away, I read the errors with INPA and and app called BMWhat?....the errors I got were:

5E2E - Front left wheel sensor
5E4A - Rear right wheel sensor

I tried clearing them and they won't go away.

- I really didn't think it was the sensors cause all I did was take the wheels off and put new tires on. But those errors are all i had to go with so I bought two new sensors and put them in. I still get the same errors!

- I've read alot of posts on different forums, especially about cleaning the "gunk" out of the SZL sensor...I tried that but my sensor/steering wheel is much different than the DIY found online.

- I tried calibrating the sensor ie. start engine, turning the wheel all the way left, then turn all the way right, return to neutral position, turn engine off, wait 10-20 second then restart.
-That didn't work.

- I tried disconnecting the battery over night.
-That didn't work.

Things that may be of relevance:

- When I changed the front left tire, it wasn't the same size as the front right tire. Initially both were 245-35-19, I change the front left ONLY to 255-40-19 when I got it inspected but after the errors came up, I changed it back.
-if that was the cause, wouldn't changing it back correct the error???

- When I start the car all the lights go away, after driving for a few minutes, it comes back.

I don't know what to do next, I already hate looking at those two airbag lights and now 4 more new lights!!!!! It's driving me crazy. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Anything else I could try before taking back to the STEALERS?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i, Silver, LOADED

Did you get any resolve to these issues?
I just had the trifecta ABS, Traction and yellow brake light come on with the I-drive message that my traction and abs has malfunctioned, to drive moderately.