E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='554263' date='Apr 1 2008, 02:05 PM
It sure as heck wasn't for the badge or luxury quotient. BMW was near the bottom of my list of cars to buy. The reason I bought this was because I had two cars and wanted to simplify and have just one. One car was "luxury." The other was a sporty V8. I needed something that blended both of those into one. I HAD to have at least some luxury. I HAD to have a V8. I HAD to have a manual transmission. And I HAD to have Sirius. BMW was the only player in the game that met all those requirements. The next closest thing would've been a CTS-V, but the interior is atrocious looking and you can only get XM. I don't care for XM (except for Cinemagic).

If I could've settled for an automatic transmission, I'd be driving an M45 Sport right now.
You're no better than the rest of us. Look at all the things you just HAVE to have. You HAVE to have a V8? Of cours you HAVE to have luxury. And Serious radio... good lord how did we survive without that? Dude. Come on!!!!!!!! You must be messing with us because if not, how can you not see the hypocracy?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributors

If this 550 was at the bottom of your list, what was at the top and why didnt you get it?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I posted this on the G8 site. Here are my thoughts about it:

While cleaver, keep in mind that the BMW is great because it excels in numerous areas - with handling and performance being the most glaring. Pontiac has created a good car with the G8. Hell, GM is on a roll. But, I need to see real-world, independant performance data on cornering ability, high-speed stability, high-speed passing, good ole 0-60 and 1/4 times, brake performance over repeated runs, etc before I go waxing poetic about it.

The 5 has the following items that allow it to excel in handling, and performance

Active Steering (electrically variable steering ratios)

Active Roll Stabalization (electrically controlled sway bars to keep the body stiff and level during hard cornering)

Dynamic Traction Control

Double-VANOS steplessly variable valve timing

Of course these are marketing words - do some research to figure out exactly what they do and how they do it. The 5 is one of the most advanced cars created. That said, it's awesome to see GM actually having created a car that can be compared to a BMW-class auto. They've definately come a long way from the fugly-is-great days of auto design.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='554230' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:12 PM
Boy, the elitism is waist deep in here!!

I can't view the link, but from the way you guys are acting, the yuppy portrayal you described about the ad is spot on!
I couldn't have said that better myself

Some of you folks are so patriotic to the brand its almost scary.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by khooger' post='554240' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:34 PM
When asked what you drive.... BMW will always be 'WOW' regardless .....GM...what is that?
I get the same 'WOW' whenever people see my Camaro - no doubt about what GM is then.

To me, BMW will always be the 'WOW I make good money' car.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

There will always be a small production GM car that will beat my E60 off the line. Hell, I hate the fact that a CTS with the V-8 is faster off the line. But I did not buy my E60 to race at stoplights - I bought it, like all of us, for everything else, especially the ride and handling.

I have rented a G-8 many of times on business, and can't wait until I get back in my BMW.

It is just non-sense writing. Anyways, we all know what we own. But it still makes me annoyed.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='554243' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:39 PM
This arguement has merit only if the premise that you buy the car for speed.
So then why does every new BMW model come with a more powerful engine than the previous model?
Why is BMW touting TT's in its future models?

Speed is a very important premise in buying AND selling a car.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='554307' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:12 PM
So then why does every new model come with a more powerful engine than the previous model?
Why is BMW touting TT's in its future models?

Speed is a very important premise in buying AND selling a car.
i don't think anyone here disputes that. However, speed, agility, comfort, style, prestige, technology, service support, warranty, brand loyalty, and simple personal preference also come into play. I personally bought my BMW for the aforementioned reasons, and because I wanted a luxury car above the norm. Admittedly or not, BMW owners are in a uniquely elite catagory. We own and drive high-end cars most never will. Are we elitist for it? Perhaps, but I've earned my right to be. The following excerpt was written in a 2003 Edmonds review. I think it sums up my thoughts perfectly:

"Naming any car the very best one in the whole world is an exercise fraught with peril. In some contexts car "A" is perfect while car "B" is ludicrously inadequate, and in other situations it's exactly the opposite. The fastest cars usually can't carry your family to Disney World and minivans aren't likely to win many races. But virtually every esteemed commentator, media organization or drunken bar patron who's ever dared name one vehicle the best the planet has to offer has had BMW's 5 Series on the short list for consideration.

The 5 Series has, in its structure, form, performance and overall excellence, been the archetypical sport sedan for more than 30 years. It's the bogey against which every other sport sedan must be measured and the car that pushed BMW beyond the niche it secured with the much smaller 1600, 2002 and 3 Series."

Edmonds Full Review/Preview
Old 04-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Nothing wrong with being an "elitist". And I'm sure everyone on this forum has earned the right to be called one if that's what they prefer. But it seems there is a fine line between being elite and being a snob.

Maybe its me - but after reading the posts on this forum for over 6 months, I get the impression that some members here just enjoy owning a BMW and are simply hiding behind BMW's reputation by saying they enjoy driving one. And its these same people who always appear to take that "holier than thou" or "BMW can do no wrong" stance whenever somebody even mentions another make/model in this forum.

Whether or not you would like to own a G8 wasn't the topic, nor was whether or not the cars have the same options - yet some folks were all too quick to point that out.

I personally have several friends who also own E60's, none affiliated with this forum. And if they ever came across in such a way some members of this site appear to do then they wouldn't be my friends much longer.

I've never owned an Audi, MB, or Lexus - but I couldn't imagine these owners would be so cavalier about the competition.

Yes I own a E60 - but I will never be completely sold on BMW and I'd always be willing to give unbiased consideration to anything else the competition comes up with.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='554337' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:28 PM
Nothing wrong with being an "elitist". And I'm sure everyone on this forum has earned the right to be called one if that's what they prefer. But it seems there is a fine line between being elite and being a snob.

Maybe its me - but after reading the posts on this forum for over 6 months, I get the impression that some members here just enjoy owning a BMW and are simply hiding behind BMW's reputation by saying they enjoy driving one. And its these same people who always appear to take that "holier than thou" or "BMW can do no wrong" stance whenever somebody even mentions another make/model in this forum.

Whether or not you would like to own a G8 wasn't the topic, nor was whether or not the cars have the same options - yet some folks were all too quick to point that out.

I personally have several friends who also own E60's, none affiliated with this forum. And if they ever came across in such a way some members of this site appear to do then they wouldn't be my friends much longer.

I've never owned an Audi, MB, or Lexus - but I couldn't imagine these owners would be so cavalier about the competition.

You should visit an MB, Lexus, or Audi forum. Or, visit a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Honda, etc.. You'll see the same reactions to perceived competition. The video itself was provocative - the reactions are understandable.

I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding snobishness. It's great to extol the virtues of your purchase. loyalty to the brand isn't a bad thing. But when you denigrate another because of their personal choice, than you enter into the realm of snobishness (and the risk of a well deserved ass-kicking).

BMW is just as prone to screw ups as any - they are not perfect, though they strive for it. That said, most here own a BMW for one reason or another. Lets enjoy without being snobbish assholes about it.

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60