E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
KAF
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

It's a GM car, it might be quick off the mark, but I bet it wouldn't stay on the road like a BMW does when the going gets twisty.

There are a lot of cars faster than a BMW but so what.

I'll take the prime fillet steak, you can keep the Big Mac.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by KU530' post='554157' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:21 AM
.... But those who buy BMW's are not the same buyer that would buy a pontiac. ...
I would! Boy, the elitism is waist deep in here!! Yikes! Based on the photos I've seen, and what I've read about the G8, the only things that would stop me from buying one are the lack of Nav and Sirius. And where the heck have you guys been?? The G8 is NOT a "Pontiac." It's a rebadged Holden Commodore(sp?) which has been compared (very favorably, I might add) to BMW's 5-series for eons.

I can't view the link, but from the way you guys are acting, the yuppy portrayal you described about the ad is spot on! Especially considering the quoted comment above...

And what's with the "fit and finish" comment posted earlier? Anybody has yet to even see one in person in the states. And again, from the photos, the fit and finish look good.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

When I pick up my new car today I'm going straight to Pontiac and trading it for 2 G8's
Yeah baby !!!!! Pontiac rocks
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

it looks a lot like the Vauxhaul Monaro V8 from AU....I guess its the same car??? i dont research GM ...lol....so don know...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

ehhhh ill stick with my BMW
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GT Premi' post='554230' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:12 PM
I would! Boy, the elitism is waist deep in here!! Yikes! Based on the photos I've seen, and what I've read about the G8, the only things that would stop me from buying one are the lack of Nav and Sirius. And where the heck have you guys been?? The G8 is NOT a "Pontiac." It's a rebadged Holden Commodore(sp?) which has been compared (very favorably, I might add) to BMW's 5-series for eons.

I can't view the link, but from the way you guys are acting, the yuppy portrayal you described about the ad is spot on! Especially considering the quoted comment above...

And what's with the "fit and finish" comment posted earlier? Anybody has yet to even see one in person in the states. And again, from the photos, the fit and finish look good.

What do you drive again? And why?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by pukka' post='554186' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:49 AM
True - its not a BMW

But when a G8 outruns your BMW, are you going to take solace in the fact that your car still has ARS, DSC, SMG, and any other BMW type acronym for a system the G8 doesn't have?

Or are you going to be truly satisfied that the extra 10-20k you paid for a slower car was money well spent.

If you are truly satisfied - then more power to ya.

Face it guys, GM is gaining ground on the performance gap. And they are doing it for the masses.
When asked what you drive.... BMW will always be 'WOW' regardless .....GM...what is that?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by pukka' post='554186' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:49 AM
True - its not a BMW

But when a G8 outruns your BMW, are you going to take solace in the fact that your car still has ARS, DSC, SMG, and any other BMW type acronym for a system the G8 doesn't have?

Or are you going to be truly satisfied that the extra 10-20k you paid for a slower car was money well spent.

If you are truly satisfied - then more power to ya.

Face it guys, GM is gaining ground on the performance gap. And they are doing it for the masses.
This arguement has merit only if the premise that you buy the car for speed. Hell, I can get a cheap Civic, mod it and go faster than a G8 for less money. This mutes your statement.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Did anyone check out this (very brief) article about Mercedes' sales dropping 4% yr over yr?
MB's Sales Decline

I heard the story behind the story is that everyone who was shopping MBs decided to hold out for the G8.

Hey, did anyone else hear about how the G8 found DB Cooper's parachute in rural Washington? I also heard that the G8 has been busy renegotiating the Kyoto Treaty. Man, this car does everything.

All I know is that GM's stock was at about $43/share less than 6 months ago, and right now it is around $19. That G8 better be something special.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='554236' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:27 PM
What do you drive again? And why?
It sure as heck wasn't for the badge or luxury quotient. BMW was near the bottom of my list of cars to buy. The reason I bought this was because I had two cars and wanted to simplify and have just one. One car was "luxury." The other was a sporty V8. I needed something that blended both of those into one. I HAD to have at least some luxury. I HAD to have a V8. I HAD to have a manual transmission. And I HAD to have Sirius. BMW was the only player in the game that met all those requirements. The next closest thing would've been a CTS-V, but the interior is atrocious looking and you can only get XM. I don't care for XM (except for Cinemagic).

If I could've settled for an automatic transmission, I'd be driving an M45 Sport right now.

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60